cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do sales people seem to be not very knowledgeable

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Why do sales people seem to be not very knowledgeable

Sorry, it is not a Hughes "problem".
Ping. Is a function of distance and server reaction time.
The satellite is in orbit 22,300 miles away.
It takes four trips for your data ... up, down ... to the internet ... data retrieved ... up and then down to you.

Data moves at roughly the speed of light. 186,000 miles per second.
The speedof light is not a suggestion, its the law.
Do the math.
Honorary Alumnus

to much altitude can give one nose bleeds
Associate Professor

Actually, there is a bit of an issue when latency goes from ~650ms on average to 2000ms...  It can be a royal pita, and it's almost certainly related to network load when you have latency in the 1500+ range.
Sophomore

Sorry, it is not a Hughes "problem".
Ping. Is a function of distance and server reaction time.

Data moves at roughly the speed of light. 186,000 miles per second.
The speedof light is not a suggestion, its the law.
Do the math.
I don't have a doctorate in physics, but I'm pretty sure the speed of light doesn't slow down during the evening hours.

As Corrosive correctly says: "it's almost certainly related to network load when you have latency in the 1500+ range."
New Poster

Just to trip back to what this thread was initially about - Re" the sales force involved with HN

A little dated now, but a little better than three years ago we had a short period of HN service. Before the first month of service was done an HN rep CALLED ME about the sales call that put HN here.

She basically said that the sales person so misrepresented what we'd get with HN service that she would cancel our service and return our money if that was what we wanted.

Now, again, the rep called me, not the other way around.

Since HN wasn't going to be able to meet our needs I agreed to the cancellation.

That honesty and courtesy from HN stuck with me.

We spent three years with another sat system and parted ways when they tried to pull a little shaft job on us. Remembering the HN experience we brought HN back into our home.

Now we do have our little problems with HN service but that has its own corner.

I see enough complaints here about the sales end of HN that lead me to believe that HN has never corralled its sales problem.

If you've never owned a motorcycle but have experience with driving a car and I start telling you all about the specs of the bike how much of that are you really going to understand? You buy the shiny without understanding what was told to you.

I see that problem here. It's something that really does need addressed.