cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do they leave the broken dish behind?

Masharona
New Poster

Why do they leave the broken dish behind?

I just had a technician come out and figure out why my download speed was less than 1 mbps. He determined I needed a new dish. He installed it but left the old dish on the ground. Customer service says it’s my problem. But why can’t they take it away? They brought the new one, why can’t they take the old one? Where I live the garbage collection won’t take it so I have to take it to a dump yard and pay $25 to have it properly disposed. I get why they won’t come get a dish if you stop service. You may want to start up again and the dish is ready. But when a dish is broken and requires a new one, why is it my responsibility to get rid of it? Frustrating!!
3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why do they leave the broken dish behind?

@Masharona 

It's most likely so the techs don't have to carry large trash around in their trucks all day, nor be tasked with the disposal of such.  They have no use for it, so they don't take it.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Masharona
New Poster

Thanks @GabeU.
I just don’t understand that. They carted around the new dish and it’s because of their work that the trash was created. If a plumber has to replace something in your house, they don’t leave the broken part just on the floor and walk away.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Masharona 

It's possible that it's for some legal reason(s).  One possibility being that, when the service is terminated, or a something like the dish is replaced, the old dish becomes the property of the homeowner.  The only things that remain the property of HughesNet, at that point, AFAIK, is the modem, power pack for the modem, and the radio from the dish.  Everything else becomes the homeowner's.  That is, of course, unless the equipment was purchased.  

This is actually very common practice.  No satellite providers, whether internet or TV, take old dishes with them.  Even when a homeowner chooses to pay for a professional de-installation (instead of removing the radio, modem and power supply themselves), neither the dish, nor the mounting, is taken by the tech.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro