cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

That is not the case at all?  Really?  Its not my computer, my wifi, my cat6e cable, If I ping CNN.com I get time=653ms with Hughesnet.  With my DSL connection if I ping the same website I get time=53ms.  So latency does not effect everyday web browsing?  I am not buying that sir.  I can stream all day long at 480p with DSL but with hughesnet it buffers, stops, loses connection.  Is that Netflix or Amazon's issue?  I hardly doubt it.  And you can check my account, I do not go over my data caps at all. So what are the majority of the Hughesnet service issues then?  Lets see some stats over the last 5 years.

 

The biggest complaint I have with this Hughesnet service is the inconsistencesies with the service.  One minute it is fine the next nothing or severely degraded service.  This happens ALL THE TIME, even before the excuse of the Covid19 pandemic and throttling bandwith began.   Contacting support and doing the same thing over and over again, Turn off modem, turn off wifi, clear browser cache, etc, etc, is very annoying and a waste of time.  Customers want the service to work consistently.  It does not.

 

This why all internet service should be Title II.

 

If I had a business account would the service be more consistent and would I get priority on my bandwidth?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?


@Sergei316 wrote:

That is not the case at all?  Really?  Its not my computer, my wifi, my cat6e cable, If I ping CNN.com I get time=653ms with Hughesnet.  With my DSL connection if I ping the same website I get time=53ms.  So latency does not effect everyday web browsing?  I am not buying that sir.  


You can buy or not buy whatever you like.  Do you understand what latency is?  It's a delay of onset.  When you enter a website address and click enter your keyboard, it takes about 20-40ms to start receiving the result with ground based service.  With HughesNet it's ~600ms, or slightly over a half a second.  That's what latency is.  A little over a half second delay of onset.   

 

Your streaming issues right now aren't being caused by ~600ms of latency, but rather a system that is under extreme stress due to a fourfold or more increase in traffic.  HughesNet only has so much bandwidth, and it's normally enough for the majority of it's subscribers, but that "normal" is gone because of the incredible increase in online activity and the congestion it's causing.  As well, on 3/20 a prioritization policy was put in place that favors work and schooling related activities during periods of high system load, which is pretty much around the clock at this point.  This means that your streaming is taking a back seat.  

 

As well, some beams and gateways are more heavily loaded than others, which results in congestion.  And just like what's going on now, congestion causes problems with streaming, and can have done so before the current increase in system load ever started.  Servers often don't react well to congestion.  

 

Instead of all of this, you could have simply asked what could be causing problems with your streaming.  If ~600ms of latency was the cause, EVERYONE on HughesNet would be having the same problems, and that's absolutely not the case, including now.

 

Good day to you.  

 

Edit:  To answer your question, business service can be better.  Whether it would be for you can't be known without actually getting it.


AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?


@GabeU wrote:


You can buy or not buy whatever you like.  Do you understand what latency is?  It's a delay of onset.  When you enter a website address and click enter your keyboard, it takes about 20-40ms to start receiving the result with ground based service.  With HughesNet it's ~600ms, or slightly over a half a second.  That's what latency is.  A little over a half second delay of onset.   

 


Does that initial delay only happen at the onset?  Or does it continue through the entire path to the destination?

 

Here is a tracert to netflix about 10 minutes ago:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd\

C:\>
C:\>
C:\>
C:\>tracert netflix.com

Tracing route to netflix.com [2620:108:700f::23a1:5f46]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 2001:5b0:4bd2:d228:280:aeff:fe66:54c6
2 609 ms 614 ms 629 ms 2001:5b0:4b00:1226::1
3 558 ms 636 ms 629 ms 2001:5b0:4b00:fffa::104
4 627 ms 579 ms 590 ms 2001:5b0:100:1::29
5 578 ms 602 ms 604 ms vlan200.car1.LasVegas1.Level3.net [2001:1900:210
0::324d]
6 618 ms 634 ms 579 ms lo-0-v6.ear2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net [2001:1900::
3:19c]
7 624 ms 637 ms 623 ms 2001:1900:2100::3982
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 587 ms 659 ms 599 ms 2620:107:4000:ff::4a
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 612 ms 594 ms 608 ms 2620:107:4000:3::12
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 653 ms 639 ms 613 ms 2620:107:4000:3::1a
16 634 ms 696 ms 659 ms 2620:107:4000:3::29
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 654 ms 619 ms 669 ms 2620:107:4000:4204:8000:0:6441:30f1
23 647 ms 639 ms 612 ms 2620:108:700f::23a1:5f46

Trace complete.

C:\>

 

What I am asking is does the 6XXms delay happen at each hop or is the onset delay just one time when I select my website destination?

 


@GabeU wrote:

Your streaming issues right now aren't being caused by ~600ms of latency, but rather a system that is under extreme stress due to a fourfold or more increase in traffic.  HughesNet only has so much bandwidth, and it's normally enough for the majority of it's subscribers, but that "normal" is gone because of the incredible increase in online activity and the congestion it's causing.  As well, on 3/20 a prioritization policy was put in place that favors work and schooling related activities during periods of high system load, which is pretty much around the clock at this point.  This means that your streaming is taking a back seat.  

 

As well, some beams and gateways are more heavily loaded than others, which results in congestion.  And just like what's going on now, congestion causes problems with streaming, and can have done so before the current increase in system load ever started.  Servers often don't react well to congestion.  

 

Instead of all of this, you could have simply asked what could be causing problems with your streaming.  If ~600ms of latency was the cause, EVERYONE on HughesNet would be having the same problems, and that's absolutely not the case, including now.

 

Good day to you.  

 

Edit:  To answer your question, business service can be better.  Whether it would be for you can't be known without actually getting it.


I am not complaing about the streaming during this time.  I use my DSL line to stream.  My issue was BEFORE the pandemic bandwith throttling began.  I have had this service for just over 2 years and the streaming of Netflix and Prime is horrendous.  Not just on rainy days, not in summer with leaves on trees, always.  From 8am to 10pm is horrible.  I know, I know it is because of congestion on the network and to many people are online.  That to me, in 2020, is a poor excuse.  During the pandemic Xfinity and ATT have upped their game to provide consistant bandwith to their customers.  Granted they have land lines and a not terrestrial service but they have done their best.  I understand that Hughesnet cant just launch a satellite into space in a few weeks to help with congestion. Maybe inreasing the amount of ground stations over the last few years would help? 

 

Pull my chat logs with customer service over the last few days.  See why I am fuming.  One rep says $30 discount for 3 months, get disconnected by Hughesnet, second rep says $10 discount for 3 months, cancel my service, cant you have to call, sit on the phone for 45 minutes.  All this chatting, testing, calling, and rebooting takes time and energy. 

 

Some of us do not have choice but to use satellite internet, I just wish the experience was somewhat comparable to my DSL line, and it is not. 

 

Thanks for your time.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

The 600ms delay is because the satellite radio signal is going 90-95,000 miles to report each hop to you.

To understand this and what your minimum delay per pinged packet is please look at the calculator on my site.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?


@Sergei316 wrote: 

Does that initial delay only happen at the onset?  Or does it continue through the entire path to the destination? 


It's a delay OF onset, but it affects everything along the route, which is why all of the hops show the high latency.  

"Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response, or, from a more general point of view, a time delay between the cause and the effect of some physical change in the system being observed."

 


@Sergei316 wrote:

I am not complaing about the streaming during this time.  I use my DSL line to stream.  My issue was BEFORE the pandemic bandwith throttling began.  I have had this service for just over 2 years and the streaming of Netflix and Prime is horrendous.  Not just on rainy days, not in summer with leaves on trees, always.  From 8am to 10pm is horrible.  I know, I know it is because of congestion on the network and to many people are online.  That to me, in 2020, is a poor excuse.   


It's unfortunate that's it's not until now, when troubleshooting the streaming issue would pretty much be a waste of time due to overall streaming issues for just about everyone, that you posted here about the problem.

 


@Sergei316 wrote: 

I know, I know it is because of congestion on the network and to many people are online.  That to me, in 2020, is a poor excuse.  During the pandemic Xfinity and ATT have upped their game to provide consistant bandwith to their customers.  Granted they have land lines and a not terrestrial service but they have done their best.  I understand that Hughesnet cant just launch a satellite into space in a few weeks to help with congestion. Maybe inreasing the amount of ground stations over the last few years would help? 

The satellite's throughput is finite, so increasing the number of ground stations would only help in situations where a gateway is a bottleneck.  When congestion is higher than the overall system, the majority of the time it's due to beam load, which can't be rectified, save for a new satellite serving some of the customers in that beam footprint.  

 


@Sergei316 wrote:
Pull my chat logs with customer service over the last few days.  See why I am fuming.  One rep says $30 discount for 3 months, get disconnected by Hughesnet, second rep says $10 discount for 3 months, cancel my service, cant you have to call, sit on the phone for 45 minutes.  All this chatting, testing, calling, and rebooting takes time and energy. 

I don't have that ability, as I'm not a HughesNet employee.  Most of the people you converse with here are fellow subscribers.  Actual HughesNet employees have a "Moderator" badge next to their name.


AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

From what I can tell, HughesNet uses a consistent speed test really as a way to validate that your equipment/connecton is working well.  They have the speed test traffic whitelisted/prioritized so that you can get the max throughput for them to validate.  That's a pretty reasonable and quick way to do a sanity check on your connection when you have a concern over the speeds you are getting.  For that to be an effective measure, there needs to be some control, so choosing a specific test with specific settings makes sense and so does prioritizing that traffic.  It's worth pointing out, and I don't know why this is, that they seem to have many (most?) speed tests prioritized, not just the testmy.net speed test.

 

Generally, speed tests are actually a pretty good proxy for your overall internet speed and online experience, because when you are browsing a webpage or streaming a video, you are still basically downloading data similar to a speedtest.  With HughesNet though, because they have that speed test traffic prioritized for their troubleshooting, it's not a good indication of what your average experience will be, especially when their network is congested.  

 

Yes, satelite has some differences because of the high latency, and you'll notice that more on webpages that are downloading lots of little files from lots of different servers as most webpages do, as opposed to big file downloads or streaming, but it's typically not going to be nearly the primary factor unless you have some issues causing crazy high latency (which often means you are also seeing dropped packets and have a problem with your connection/equipment).  So you should always expect some difference, between the speedtest and your normal experience, but it should still be pretty reasonable.

 

HughesNet can't really add capacity without launching more satelites and that's not nearly as trivial as adding capacity to land based networks where you can add more physical servers into a data center.  Since their congestion is very high right now, and they are prioritizing certain traffic over others, speedtests are really only useful for that validation and not at all useful determing your overall internet speed.

 

 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

@Sergei316 

 

Just to allay any confusion and prevent the latency cause problem idea from coming back to the top, please note the part of Michael57's statement below that is in bold.  This is not what's going on with your system, as your traceroute demonstrated normal geo satellite internet latency (~650ms)  What's being referred to here is when latency gets very high, as in much higher than what you're seeing, which most definitely can throw things out of wack and cause all kinds of problems.  If this were the case, your traceroute would show either considerable spikes or inordinately high latency across the board.  

 

"Yes, satelite has some differences because of the high latency, and you'll notice that more on webpages that are downloading lots of little files from lots of different servers as most webpages do, as opposed to big file downloads or streaming, but it's typically not going to be nearly the primary factor unless you have some issues causing crazy high latency (which often means you are also seeing dropped packets and have a problem with your connection/equipment).  So you should always expect some difference, between the speedtest and your normal experience, but it should still be pretty reasonable."

 

@Michael57 

 

Thank you.  You and Mark are better at explaining some things than I, with this being one of them. 


AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit