cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

Sergei316
New Poster

Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

Just wondering why Techs / Hughesnet require we use Testmy.net for internet speed tests?

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Why do we have to use testmy.net for internet speeds?

I know one of the reasons is because you can control the file size. They also get a lot of information from those tests that they don't get from others.   I'm sure someone will have better info than me, though. 

Sergei316 wrote:

Just wondering why Techs / Hughesnet require we use Testmy.net for internet speed tests?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Sergei316 

From what I understand it's also supposed to be the most accurate due to the way it handles the higher latency inherent to satellite internet.  That latency can cause problems with others, with their results often being skewed somewhat.  That doesn't mean that testmy doesn't have its own occasional hiccup, but only that it's better than the others.  

The main reason, however, and as maratsade mentioned, is for the ability to choose a consistent test size.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Sergei316
New Poster

Is that an accurate measurement of you daily internet usage?  Downloading a certain size file constantly is not something I do everyday and all day.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

It's a more accurate measurement of your download speed, not your internet usage. 

Sergei316 wrote:

Is that an accurate measurement of you daily internet usage?  Downloading a certain size file constantly is not something I do everyday and all day.

Sergei316
New Poster

@GabeU 

"From what I understand it's also supposed to be the most accurate due to the way it handles the higher latency inherent to satellite internet.  That latency can cause problems with others, with their results often being skewed somewhat.  That doesn't mean that testmy doesn't have its own occasional hiccup, but only that it's better than the others.  

The main reason, however, and as maratsade mentioned, is for the ability to choose a consistent test size."

That is kinda of deceiving is it not?  Since it seems about 99% of the web is not designed to handle the higher latecny and we surf, stream, download from 99% of the internet, these tests from testmy.net are not an accurate represantation of the average daily internet usage for most people.

I have tried 5 different tests from diffrent sites and have achieved many different results.  Tesymy.net was always the best.  

I avaeraged almost 14.2mbps over 60 minutes with testmy.net, however, when i downloaded a 100mb file from thinkbroadband.com my download speeds averaged 5.2mbps.

So from what you are implying is that we need to surf, stream and download from sites that are only optimized for higher latency.  Correct?

GabeU

@Sergei316 wrote:

No, and it's not meant to be.  The purpose of a speed test is to get an accurate measurment of your internet speed.  Nothing more.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

@Sergei316 wrote:

That is kinda of deceiving is it not?  Since it seems about 99% of the web is not designed to handle the higher latecny and we surf, stream, download from 99% of the internet, these tests from testmy.net are not an accurate represantation of the average daily internet usage for most people. 

No, it's not deceiving, because again, a speed test is designed to test your internet speed, nothing more.  A speed test is not intended to be an accurate representation of the average daily internet usage for most people.  The only thing that is an accurate representation of average daily internet usage is average daily internet usage.  

@Sergei316 wrote:

@GabeU 

I avaeraged almost 14.2mbps over 60 minutes with testmy.net, however, when i downloaded a 100mb file from thinkbroadband.com my download speeds averaged 5.2mbps.

So from what you are implying is that we need to surf, stream and download from sites that are only optimized for higher latency.  Correct?

No, that's not what I'm implying.  You're confusing and conflating two different things.  A speed test gives an accurate representation of your service speed at the time the test is taken.  Activities are not speed tests.  When you download a file it's downloading from a server designed to download that file, not run a speed test, and your download has to deal with anything and everything along that route to that server and back to you, including other people downloading files from that server.  Speed test results and the speed of activities often don't match.  They are not the same thing.  A speed test gives an accurate representation of service speed.  But again, that doesn't mean that it translates to the same speed when performing activities.

A speed test is like a car on a closed track, testing to top speed.  Activities are like a car on a road doing every day travelling and activities.  That car can go as fast when doing those activities, but those activities are not being performed on a closed track designed for testing speed, so that's not likely going to happen.  And the effect latency can have on a speed test results is very different than the effect it has on activities.

Sergei316
New Poster

Excellent explanation.  I understand now.  So basically the latency issue is the cause of almost all the speed/surfing problems with the Hughesnet service.  Since most websites are not designed or optimized for high latency connections, problems become more apperent.  

So I assume when Starlink becomes available, the latency issue with satellite internet will be greatly decreased.

GabeU

@Sergei316 wrote:

Excellent explanation.  I understand now.  So basically the latency issue is the cause of almost all the speed/surfing problems with the Hughesnet service.  Since most websites are not designed or optimized for high latency connections, problems become more apperent.  

No, that's not the case at all.  Nor it is that what my explanation for the difference between speed tests and other internet activities inferred.  

@Sergei316 wrote:

So I assume when Starlink becomes available, the latency issue with satellite internet will be greatly decreased.

The things that are negatively affected by the high latency of geostationary satellite internet will tend to work better with Starlink.  Namely real time online gaming and other real time activities, like Skype and similar interactive programs, as well as online calls.