cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does latency on internet increase when HT2000W modem is connected

Richard-Thomas
New Poster

Why does latency on internet increase when HT2000W modem is connected

I am new to Hughesnet, (just installed this week) I still have my old comcast wifi modem in service.

I find that when I connect the HT2000W modem to the computer, even if I am using the comcast wifi modem network, the latency in the connection increases from about 25 to 3000 and I get noticeable delay in any change of URL. This delay seems to be typical when using the hughes modem network but what I don't understand is why connecting the hughes modem would affect the comcast wifi network. This may have been brought up before, if so I apologize.

Regards, 

Richard

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Why does latency on internet increase when HT2000W modem is connected

Seems to me the computer is automatically switching to the HT2000W instead of Comcast, where the latency should be around 600ms, not 3 sec.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Richard-Thomas
New Poster

Re: Why does latency on internet increase when HT2000W modem is connected

I'm sorry the latency's were in milliseconds (my goof). What I am seeing is latencys of about 300 ms when the modem is connected regardless of whether I am using comcast to the internet or hughesnet. But if I disconnect the hughes modem I get about 25 ms latency. One thing that I have noticed is that I get consistently greater speed if I disable the wireless (SSID disabled) in the Hughes modem, and use a straight  LAN connection to the internet, although the latency is about the same..

Thanks for the reply