cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the Hughes speed test count against our data usage.

New Poster

Why does the Hughes speed test count against our data usage.

Since CS reps require speed tests for troubleshooting and to run numerous speed tests over several days wouldnt it just be common since that the speed test not count against our data usage given that we are customers?
9 REPLIES 9
Alum

Re: Why does the Hughes speed test count against our data usage.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for posting. Each speed test uses about 8mb to 12mb per test. Not a very significant amount don't you think? Satellites are limited as you know, so think of this. If all customers were to run several tests constantly and this bandwidth was made to be unlimited, don't you think that would add more load to an already limited system?

Speed tests are only needed when your performance is a concern. So a customer deciding to run tests "just because" should realize that they have to be using some type of data. With anything on the internet that is the case. For us here on the community whenever we do ask for speed tests. We typically can provide GB's for compensation even though you will actually never use up that much bandwidth just to run some tests for us. We do this as a courtesy to our customers. I hope this clears it up for you and others that may have thought of this before.

Thank you,
Chris 
Highlighted

Hi Chris, Whilst I may agree on BITS of your statement I still find it a Bit of a Cop-out... For starters it's not a measly 12mb file, your asking folks to run the test 5 times(for a good average speed diagnosis)  per Morning, afternoon, night, Sometimes even at times LATE night. That's 12 x 5 x 3 = 180Mb just for the hughes test in ONE Day ( On the 10,000Mb a month plan that's OVER half of the Average Daily usage (roughly 350Mb).    Now add in COMPARING with Testmy speed test an the amount would be double (180Mb x 2= 360Mb     One days worth of test!!)       You want 4 days at least of those test Just hughes test alone 4 days, 5 tests 3 times a day is 720Mb just to get started!! I would say that is a FAR more significant amount wouldn't you!!
More than a few of these speed cases have whent on for a MONTH or better before resolution, just sayin you make it sound insignificant to US it's TIME, EFFORT, DATA/MONEY (depending on the nature of your data usage) Down the Drain, on the POSSIBILITY we get fixed up relatively SOON!!

Now would it bog down the system if you opened the gates and everyone did speed tests REGULARLY,      absolutely but is it really the customers fault hughes bogged down the system with the million ++ subscribers and counting ???  And really what are the possibilities of EVERYONE running speed tests at the EXACT same time...........     Compensations here after you get started is nice but you'd have to ask someone who's actually played the "fix my speed game" to see if it's actually worth it or evens out to data/time spent performing speed tests an obtaining resolution........

Hey Melissa Friend! How is it "Hanging"??? LOL! I have certainly missed you around here a bit lately. My eye is doing much better & I really want them to get the other one worked on--even though I know what I'm in for "ache" wise!!

I did want to tell you that I LOVE your "Flag Rose" avatar in the thread that Gwalks900 linked to when posting on how to do screen shots! (I want to try & paint it!)The screen shots steps DON'T work for me at all; I guess "that" is just something my "special friends" aren't going to allow--BOO!!! I would certainly LOVE to have some of the photos sent to my FB page "Timeline"--(But: FB is "Blocked" for me currently; however, We All "Know" It Is HN Doing That!! LOL! LOL!)   Oh well, I just wanted to say: "Howdy" to you!!

Hi Alana,    Been quite busy on my end, time and speed seem to have disappeared LOL... Kiddos start school back up in a couple weeks so we been crammin in  all the FUN we can, tackling school shoppin an manuverin bedtime back to a decent hr, I tell ya it certainly has been exhausting!!

I'm glad your eyes doing better, I'm sure the anticipation of being DONE with both is a Killer but the time will come before ya know it Smiley Happy  Thanks I'm quite partial to that avatar as well, in fact I THINK it may be my longest standing one yet!! I can't remember if I found it on FB or a simple google search. I changed it up for veterans day and just kinda stuck Smiley Happy  If you do get it painted I'd love to see it, that artistic side does kick in from time to time but painting was never my forte.  Give me a pencil I can draw ALMOST anything, with painting I spend too much time brooding the mistakes SMH....

Sorry my screen shot tips were a no go, the more I think about your goverment computer the more I'd like to chuck it out the window lol. Seriously though if  they got it so secure that you can't download files, probably the same security keeping pics from SAVING as technically you are downloading the pic (online) in order to save. Although it really does puzzle me that your snip of the taskbar wouldn't save but thats one of those things I guess we'd have to be there to analyze...  

FB won't load for me either I get about 10 post or less on the wall depending on time and a day, the rest NEVER loads sure hope its just the summer blues still haven't managed to view the wedding pics from last month SMH... Anyhow have good one, I'm off for a bit but I'll be around later Smiley Happy

i personaly don't believe the tests or the downloadable meter that runs on my desktop that keeps track of our daily usage should eat up our bandwidth but they do, i disable my meter and only turn it on when i need to check it, but i don't allow it to run in my system tray cause it dose sit there and eat up Mb's of bandwidth as soon as you open it up or check it the Mb's start clicking away with nothing else on the internet open, i don't think its cool, there eating up the bandwidth that we pay for that is in some sense percous to us if we have to watch what we use every month and its costing us $120.00 thats a big chunck to through out there just to use the internet,

but in hughes, defence i will have to say compared to starband.net sevice and that company hughes is a awsume company at least we have customer service and somewhere to blog  and a meter that works! and bandwidth higher then 27kb of downloads speeds yay for hughes.net!!!

Assistant Professor

This is one of the most accurate tests I've found for HughesNet believe it or not: http://www.att.com/speedtest/

Just click on Start Test, no need to enter email address. It even reports latency and jitter very accurately.

Personally, I would like to read a more constructive, instead of defensive, reply to the initial question Charles posted here.  Chris replied, but the reply was obscure at best.  O.K...so you don't want random testing run by customers without a charge...than...in that case, couldn't you simply allow for the tests to be run that YOU require for speed checks at no use, and any other time, there is a use deduction?  I must agree with Charles on this one...charging for tests YOU require is not good business.
Honorary Alumnus

I have to agree Cuddlebug.

I do believe that the Mods deposit Tokens into the accounts of those users asked to run a series of tests.

That's great if it is the story Gwalk.  As long as the customer is not responsible to use space to run tests they don't ask to have run, I'm good with that.  Thanks for the response.