cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why even with VOIP and Cellular if you are rural you need a land line also.

Why even with VOIP and Cellular if you are rural you need a land line also.

I see many post from customers saying all they have is VOIP eg. Hughes Voice for phone service. They cancel their land line and solely depend on Internet and/or cellular. I will tell you from my own experience why this isn't a good ideal.

A few years ago there was an ice storm here in Oklahoma. While this doesn't happen a lot if there is an emergency it can be devastating. Power was out for days and in some rural areas for weeks. Driving was difficult at best while in some outline areas nearly impossible. Cell towers were effected as well with failing transponders some fatigued while others were covered with ice until they no longer functioned. The result was VOIP was worthless and cellular was stochastic at best. Whether on Cable or Satellite, TV and Internet could not be accessed with the exception of a few public Wi-Fi sites where they had generators for power. While power was off, fallen trees blocked roads, and temperatures in the 30s my old fashioned land line phone never stopped working. This is why no one in rural areas should solely depend on VOIP particularly satellite. If a real emergency rares its ugly head help may not be acquirable.      

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Sophomore

Re: Why even with VOIP and Cellular if you are rural you need a land line also.

We had an ice storm here in Mass. a few years ago. Most of the phone lines came down along with the power lines, but the cell towers were still online. There is no perfect solution.

Also, in towns that Verizon has converted to FIOS, they ripped out the copper lines, forcing everyone to use VOIP. The VOIP phone service will only run for as long as the battery lasts in the ONT. 

Hi Gary,

Thanks for bringing this up. It's a very valid point and should be kept in mind when considering VOIP in general. Our HughesNet Voice service agreement has a big ol' section dedicated to 911 emergency service:

7. 911 – EMERGENCY SERVICE
http://legal.hughesnet.com/VoiceServiceAgreement/index.cfm

HUGHES STRONGLY RECOMMENDS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE MEANS OF ACCESSING 911 EMERGENCY SERVICES VIA A TRADITIONAL PHONE LINE OR A WIRELESS PHONE.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

My cell lasted till the battery died but the majority of phone lines out here are underground fiber.  It is hard wired from the main road to the house but those lines survived.  At my place I was without power for a week and a half and couldn't get out for 2 days due to falling trees.  I will keep my hard line just to be safe.

During a power failure, we have a whole-house generator. HN, all services, are always up and running, including phone. 

Well I have 2 Acoustic Guitars and a battery radio so that is all I need along with a propane heater/stove for backup and coffee.  I have battery powered lights, candles for the dark,, and rodeo cold beer isn't bad either. 
Sophomore

Without power I have no water, so a generator is a necessity for me. As long as there is an open gas station within driving distance I'm OK. During that last ice storm we were out of power for 12 days.
My neighbor has a propane generator and I know a guy with a diesel generator who can run it on the fuel oil for his furnace.