cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

Junior

Re: Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

I realize people are trying to help but the majority of these suggestions are so basic that it's just not helpful at all. Most of us know to turn on wifi on the router, to know if we have more than one computer connected and if it's updating or sharing info, we know if we have icloud services running, we know that our video data saver is already on, we know what resolution we are watching videos on, etc. For some reason it seems that anyone related to Hughes does not want to accept that, at least with Gen5, data usage is massively higher for the very same behaviors on the very same computers at the very same times and with the very same programs as the day before the Gen5 was installed. Why is that so hard to address?

Junior

Don't know if you upgraded to 20gb plan or not but that's what I have and the first two days on this new Gen5 I used, according to Hughes, over 14GB of data! It's not possible. And yes, wifi on modem off, only one computer hardwired, no movies, not videos, and the video saver on hughes is enabled. Doesn't make sense and certainly isn't acceptable, especially when this system was touted as being such a great thing, faster speeds, more data, (well yes, because you're going to use three times the amount of data for the same activites as before), etc. Not at all acceptable.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@deserthavenwrote:

Don't know if you upgraded to 20gb plan or not but that's what I have and the first two days on this new Gen5 I used, according to Hughes, over 14GB of data! It's not possible. And yes, wifi on modem off, only one computer hardwired, no movies, not videos, and the video saver on hughes is enabled. Doesn't make sense and certainly isn't acceptable, especially when this system was touted as being such a great thing, faster speeds, more data, (well yes, because you're going to use three times the amount of data for the same activites as before), etc. Not at all acceptable.

Here's the bottom line.  The longer you choose to accept that it's simply not possible and choose to delay working on the problem to figure it out the longer it is going to take to get it fixed.  That's it.  As I stated in the other thread, if you want to figure it out, please start a new topic in Tech Support.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

I don't need to start a new topic as I've already seen everything sweetpea was told to do. Not hard to follow directions step by step. The issue is that it is clearly not an issue on our end and it's really frustrating and condescending to keep being told it is. There is absolutely no explanation for instantly using more data upon being connected to Gen5 with nothing else changing. That's not even debateable. If it was just one or two people across the customer base then maybe, yes, something weird going on, but it's not. It's a large number of people. We are not all so computer illiterate that we don't know what we have running. Whether it is simply the Gen5 data not being compressed as in previous systems I don't know. If that's the likely reason then why doesn't Hughes just come out and say so? Why isn't that told to prospective customers before they sign on? If that can't explain it then something strange is going on and it simply doesn't make any sense for it to suddenly be everyone's mysterious browser changes or video changes or phantom programs they forgot they had. Taking many months to walk through a problem is just ridiculous. I have glasswire installed and am checking things as recommended. It does not behoove me, clearly, by reading other posts, to spend the time post after post after post communicating when all that is being done is rehash the same scenario over and over. But, I do thank you for responding, seriously. I know you are sincerely trying to help.

Distinguished Professor IV

@deserthaven

Though you haven't indicated what you normally would have used with Gen4 during that same time, the difference between Gen4 and Gen5 isn't extreme.  It's not like 1GB with Gen4 and 10GB with Gen5.  The difference varies, depending on what someone does, as some things can't be compressed and will be the same no matter which generation service is/was used.  If the difference you're seeing is extreme, that's not compression, that's data being used by something you aren't aware of, even the computer you're actively using.  

Just keep an eye on Glasswire, like you've mentioned.  It should help.  If you have a 3rd party router that has the ability to tabulate data usage, even as a whole, use that, too.  A 3rd party router is most likely going to be more accurate than Glasswire, even if all you're using is a LAN connected computer.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit