cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

Freshman

Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

Hughes HT 2000W Gen5 since 10 April 2017

HP computer running Windows 10, IE, Chrome, Bing or Edge

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes 3.0

Glasswire download doesn’t show anything unusual.

My internet situation; one computer, two phones (a tablet and a laptop, for travel, that are only switched on for updates the day of departure and while running on bonus data) has not changed, and neither have my internet habits. I have password protected all access – so I’m pretty certain no one else is using my modem. I don't stream movies, or tv and only the occasional YouTube or other short video. I have turned off auto download of video on web pages and have also set Windows to a metered connection – neither of which had to be done before this modem and still in the 9 hour test of having the LAN unplugged, as suggested on the forum (see pictures), I used an entire gigabyte. Today I turned off the wifi on both phones and still dropped another Gigabyte.

On Thursday May 18, 2017 at 11:15 a.m., I just happened to check the Hughes Status Meter, that’s what got me started reading the forum for help and info on this problem, and I wrote down what the meter read: 55% with 22 days 12 hrs and 45 mins remaining. I was startled, I’ve never used that much data in a whole month let alone a few days unless I have a new computer to get running. As of 1pm this afternoon (May 21) I’m down to 47%. With more than 19 days remaining of the first real month of service with the HT 2000W I have somehow used more than half of my 10G of data. I am using way more data than I ever did on the old Hughes 1100 or the Hughes modem before that.

I find this particularly worrisome since I have to be out of town and wanted to leave a motion detecting security camera attached to wifi in my absence I therefore do not want to leave the modem unplugged – not that it seems to make a lot of difference.

A few stats from Hughes: ( If these stats are accurate I shouldn’t even have 2G missing from my monthly total. I just want the speed of a decent connection when I want to look at the internet or check my email.) One GB = 2 hours of video streaming, 300 photos uploaded, 200 streamed songs, 1,024 web pages loaded, or 2,000 emails sent or received

1215pm19May2017.jpg12:15 PM 19 May 2017915pm19May2017.jpg9:15 PM 19 May 2017623am052117.jpg6:23 this morning 21 May 2017 when I turned my computer on - it is always off at night.147pm-21May2017.jpg1:47 PM this afternoon 21 May 2017

44 REPLIES 44
New Poster

Re: Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

I am having the exact same problem. I hope someone supplies an answer soon.

I upgraded from Gen4 with 10gb of data to Gen5 with 20gb of data.

When I had Gen4, I rarely ever used the entire 10gb. But immediately after upgrading to Gen5 with 20gb of data, even though my internet habits had not changed, data was leaking like crazy. Even though I have twice as much data as before, I have been forced to decrease the amount of time spent online, so I won't run out of data. What is going on?

Honorary Alumnus

@rsp87mam87

Gen5 being faster than Gen4 would allow data to be used at a faster rate. If something ..... a background process for example .... were to be active, it would use data rather more quickly.

Looking at your posted pictures ....

We have no way to see what used the 5GB of data between your refill date and the remaining amount in the first screenshot of 5.2 GB remaining.

You second screenshot showed 5.1 GB remaining so there was a usage of perhaps as much as 100 MB between the two. I say as much as because the Status Meter display has a resolution of .1 GB (point one) so the meter will round up or down.

For the greatest accuracy you would need to use the myAccount Usage Meter that will resolve down to a single MB.

myAccount Usage.PNG

In the past the first step in tracking data loss was to perform a Modem Isolation Test:

RackMultipart20151130-6485-1yyx8cx-datahog2_inline (2).jpg

Following the above procedure would isolate the Modem (and your data) from any chance of "connection" as soon as the Ethernet cable between the subcribers device(s), be it a single directly connected computer or a user supplied Router.

The only activity .... the only "connection path" was broken upon the act of disconnecting the LAN cable.

This is no longer true with the HT2000w Modem due to its internal wireless capacity.

In order to close all connection paths when using a HT2000w you must also disable the "radios", both of them .... 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz.

Looking a little deeper .... Win10.

Enabling "metered" only works on wireless connections, not wired.

It only works on wireless connections that have been "declared" as metered.

Many computers and devices can connect by either 2.4 or 5.0 Ghz and have the capacity (if passkeys have been entered) to automaticly switch between the two wireless connections.

If only one of those connections has been declared as "metered" but not the other, the computer can switch to the other frequency and use data despite you thinking that it is "metered".

There is also another aspect to Win10 and that is its ability to "share" updates with other computers. This will be seen as an increase in "upload" data usage. Then we have the fact that Win10 shares "Telemetry" with Microsoft who then shares that data with its "partners".

It would have been helpful to have seen a GlassWire readout for the period but ... it would only show (very detailed) usage of only that device ...

There can be a number of "leaks" .... an overlooked or poorly secured wireless Guest Account

There can be issues if both 2.4 and 5.0 shared the same passkey as it allows "device roaming"

Further ... there are at least three differnet types of "off", only one of which is a true powered off state. Devices can awaken, perform scheduled tasks and then resume  ..... sleep.

I am not a big fan of Modem/Router/Wireless Router intergration.

Your Router holds the keys to your Networks Kingdom. Your Router, your rules, your network

My suggestion if you want to see and control all traffic across the network?

Disable all HT2000w functions

Install your own Router that has the capacity to track all data used (remember, the router is at the very center of your Network) both wired and wireless by date and by device.

That will provide a counterpoint to any Hughes usage meters.

I use an Asus RT-AC3100 and it allows tracking of all data through the Network. The 3100 is a little pricey but there are other less expensive Asus models that have the Traffic Analyzer function.

Asus screenshots:

Traffic per device per day:

Traffic 2.PNG

Statistics overall showing hours of occurance:

Statistic 1 snip.PNG

And finally traffic detail per device showing time of occurance and application name and data amount used:

Traffic 4.PNG

At this point you simply don't have a concrete handle on all potential connection paths.

Freshman

Gwalk900 - thanks for the reply.  First - I tried to find the usage meter you spoke of by going to myhughes and all I get is:

UsageMeter.jpg

The same info I already have - and as you can see I am now down to 44%.  The only thing that has changed in my internet equation is the Gen5 modem - I never had any problem with the Gen 4 and both phones were on wifi at home.  So none of the "leak" talk is very helpful - unless the modem itself is leaking somehow.  I have turned off the wifi to my phones, I even uplugged the LAN cable again last night and still lost a Gigabyte.  "Off" to me means off - when I turn off my computer I turn it off - I can't sleep with it on.  I thought about what you advised last night and changing the passwords on each individual connection and disabled the 5.4Ghz and Guest connections when I got up this morning - or so they say - since,, as you point out, off doesn't always mean off in the internet world. And since then have lost another 2 Gigabytes - I lost one just checking in to this support page.  I am hemmoraging data and I don't even get to enjoy the internet anymore - I'm afaird to turn it on and I'm afraid to check my email.  You say that the metered connection is for wifi only - I've changed the computer over to wifi only. 

559am-22May2017.jpg5:59 AM 22 May 2017Glasswire2.jpgGlasswire right now

You say the Glasswire shows only the one computer, but if nothing else is on is this not all there is to see? And it does not add up to Gigabytes of data.  And if something I don't know about is on somewhere - would it not have shown up in the data usage for the Gen4.  It seems more likely to me that someone at the other end of this modem has their thumb on the scale weighting it in their favor. 

Distinguished Professor III

@rsp87mam87 wrote:

Gwalk900 - thanks for the reply.  First - I tried to find the usage meter you spoke of by going to myhughes and all I get is:

UsageMeter.jpg

You have to sign in at myAccount, not click on "My Usage" on the upper right.  

http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

Sign in and go to Usage, like so....

Capture.JPG 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Honorary Alumnus

You claimed to have used another 2GB  but your screenshots shows 4.7 GB and then 4.6 GB, that is only 100 MB (read as point one gb)

Due to the meter rounding to the nearest 100th GB that 100 MB indicated is likely somewhat over 50 MB.

I think you may be reading the meter wrong as your screenshots do not support  the usage you state.

Freshman

You're right - I am starting to overstate the problem  - just the pressure of having to take this trip and being unsure of the wifi status while gone.  Anyway thanks for all the info - seems a shame I will probably have to buy another router.  Just wish someone could explain why with Gen4 everything was fine - while Gen5 has gobbled more than half my gigabytes a in a few days. 

Honorary Alumnus

For starters you do have a rather small data plan, That 10/50 means that you have 10,000 MB of Anytime data for the entire month. That equals only 333 MB per day network wide if you are to go the entire month with hitting FAP.

It looks like you are only 12 days into your usage period and GlassWire goes back 30 days so we should be able to see how much of the used 5 GB was used by the computer running GlassWire.

Use the following graphic as a guide to getting the needed info displayed:

Mine detailed snip.PNG

Go through the setting steps of 1 thru 5.

When setting the sliders in step 5 make sure the date range shown in the circled area at top center begins at the time of your last data refill and runs to the current date.

Freshman

As I stated in my original post - I only just got the Glasswire when I saw it recommended on this forum - so I go back a couple of days - not a month. 

And it still doesn't answer the question - how is that I have had one Hughes modem or another for at least 15 years with 10G or less (can't remember what they started us out with back in the Direcway days)  - and have never had a problem with data running short - ever - unless I was fitting out a new computer.  And even then I would rather get up a 2AM than use my anytime data.  Gen 4 was 10G/50G -- I never had a problem with data.  Nothing on my end changed - except the Gen5. So why?  You can say all day that I have to have a data leak, but then the same data leak must have been here with the Gen4 and I didn't have a problem running short of data - so why? 

Distinguished Professor III

@rsp87mam87

In addtion to the instructions already laid out by @Gwalk900 for Glasswire, it would be a good idea to set the options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External."  This way it will only measure the data being used by the internet, not data being transfered back and forth internally.  

You can find the options settings to the upper right of the circle graph when you are viewing the "Usage" tab.  

And I do understand that you have just installed Glasswire, but this will help for when you rely on it more as time goes on.  

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit