cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

New Poster

Re: Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

Yes, I want to know the answer, myself. My excessive data usage did not begin until I upgraded to Gen5. When I was on Gen4, I only had 10gb of data per month and rarely ever reached that. But suddenly after upgrading to Gen5, data gets gobbled up like crazy.

I use a Mac, and already had all my apps set to "manual update" so I could control data use, and had turned off iCloud as well. On my iphone, background refresh is turned off, and iCloud is deactivated as well. I have my browser preferences set so that video does not automatically play. Also, turned off telemetrics on both computer and phone to keep my applications from phoning home to the mother ship. And, I do not stay connected to the internet all the time. I have a wifi router, and turn wifi off when not sitting at my computer. No data leakage occurs when wifi is turned off.

The one curious thing I did notice, when using Activity Monitor to figure out which applications were hogging the data: when I have my antivirus software turned on, simply having a web page open in the browser uses data at a rate of 1mb per minute. Actively browsing websites uses data at a much faster rate. When I turn off antiviris software, the data use drops off drastically. I have tried 3 different antivirus programs (Eset Cybersecurity, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky) with the same result. I had to take the step of keeping antivirus turned off most of the time, only activating it once every few days (just long enough to update the virus definitions and run a quick scan) then immediately turning it off again. BUT - this did not occur when I was on Gen4. I hate to keep turning my antivirus software off, but for now that's the only thing that's stopping the bleeding. I know the software isn't updating itself because I already set updates to "manual".

Honorary Alumnus

@rsp87mam87

You stated:

"And it still doesn't answer the question - how is that I have had one Hughes modem or another for at least 15 years with 10G or less (can't remember what they started us out with back in the Direcway days)  - and have never had a problem with data running short - ever -"

The same algorithms that count/report Gen4 usage are used on your Gen5 system.

Your Gen5 system has the potential for greater speeds, thus data can be consumed faster.

I guess I was mistaken is using the word "leak" .... unidentified usage is more to the point. You have data used that you can't account for.

Data is used by hardware and software.

If you have a failing modem or transmitter excess data can be used in the act of re-transmissions or as stated earlier, in a modem firmware update/fallback loop.

The procedure is to run the modem isolation test as I earlier posted to see if data is used during your LAN disconnect time. The only fly in the ointment is that you are also going to have to disable the HT2000w's wireless radios ... both of them ... 2.4 & 5.0 Ghz.

If that is not done, then the modem is not totally isolated.

The other thing that needs to be done is to ask @Liz to run remote diagnostics on your system to rule in or out issues realed to outdoor hardware and coax/connector issues.

You stated:

"Nothing on my end changed - except the Gen5. So why?  You can say all day that I have to have a data leak, but then the same data leak must have been here with the Gen4 and I didn't have a problem running short of data - so why?"

Nothing on your end that you know of  has changed.

Computers, operating systems and the Internet are in a constant state of change ....

>You have Win10<

This is not good. Win10 gives somewhere between very little and no control over a number of items. The Win10 Creators Update is being rolled out.

Updates in general are now being sent out as "roll-ups" ... you get them all. Many updates will undo settings that you had made to the OS in the past.

Win10 has some very bad habits:

It shares "Telemitry" with Microsoft. This uses your data in the form of uploads.

Microsoft the shares that information it collected with selected 'partners" who then load up your browser with tailored advertising.

Win10 has the nasty habit of sharing updates with other computers both on your LAN and also on your WAN. That function needs to be disabled ... repeatedly. Newly installed updates cause some key settings to revert to their default values.

Websites change. A site that you have used for years can suddenly change the way data is loaded.

You have a poor choice of browsers going ... IE, Edge? (and Bing is search engine). You can make SOME changes but others require the addition of browser extentions to stop some things. Ad Block Plus to limit the number of Ads being loaded, Auto-Start of videos as you mentioned but the BIG ONE is the NASTY known as HTML5 Pre-fetch. That one will eat your cheese. It is the background loading of video content in a webpage that does not start ... but it is downloaded "just in case" you wish to use it. How nice.

Driver changes. If your computer has Nvidia graphics hardware your Nivdia driver may have been updated. It has been stated that the latest drivers "call home" with your personal data. More data used and used by a background process.

There also seems to be an issue understanding how to use the four usage meters supplied by Hughes.

I can understand you not knowing and questioning the usage between your refill (10 GB) and your first posted screenshot showing 5.2 GB remaining  for a net usage of 4.8 GB to that point.

I do have have to say you kind of confused me there when you adamantly stated:

"And since then have lost another 2 Gigabytes - I lost one just checking in to this support page.  I am hemmoraging data and I don't even get to enjoy the internet anymore - I'm afaird to turn it on and I'm afraid to check my email."

Dispite the fact that I pointed out the the amounts were not in the GB size range but were instead in the .1 (point one .... 100 MB) and the .2 (point two ... 200 MB) range and that meter is subject to roll up/down differences.

You don't seem very willing to follow a step-by-step linear process that takes into account all potential connection paths.

You don't seem willing to embrace the fact that a single computer has 65,536 com ports any of which can connect and therefore use data as a background process.

You don't seem willing to gather supporting data as to just what is using your data choosing instead to believe "Gen5 did it".

Hughes as a ISP is obligated to make a contracted amount of data available to your to the modems LAN port. How you spend that data is up to you. They do not provide computer repair services.

I have been down this road many times before and tracking usage can be a very time consuming and labor intensive operation both for you as well as myself.

You seem to "know" what it is that is using your data. Without having an open mind further input is futile.

See if @Liz will rule out modem/TRIA issues.

I'm done with this topic.

Professor

I haven't noticed any change in the rate at which the data is being used. Feels like the same pace as before. The antivirus software works in the background and sometimes downloads stuff, but it doesn't use an inordinate amount of data.  Windows 10 updates are under 4 GB, so that doesn't eat much data either.  I have both Windows and Mac machines, as well as other devices, so all of those are using data all the time while running background processes, downloading bits of stuff here and there, and whatnot, but the rate remains the same.  Maybe something changed on your end and you haven't noticed it yet.  When you turn on your antivirus software, it may be downloading things it needs to update itself, hence the data usage. Or it could be something else that changed when the new system was installed. 

Distinguished Professor IV

As I stated on a different thread, I have noticed that I seem to be using a bit more data with Gen5, but it's not so much that it's causing me much concern.  Perhaps 10% more, at most.  And, as stated, it could be due to a number of things.  I think it's possible that the compression technology works a little differently with Gen5 compared to Gen4, but, in the end, I'm still not being charged by Hughesnet for more data than I am actually using, as is evidenced by my close scrutiny of Glasswire's tally vs Hughesnet's tally.  I don't use my internet for anything other than my computers, so I am able to compare the data usage directly.  The addition of other devices would make that more difficult.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

Your method is so much more scientific than mine, Gabe! Smiley Happy

@maratsade

And I was thinking about signing up for Netflix in the not so distant future so I can watch an occasional old TV show or movie using the built in Netflix app on my TV.  That's going to open up a whole new can of worms!!!!  Smiley Happy

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade

And I was thinking about signing up for Netflix in the not so distant future so I can watch an occasional old TV show or movie using the built in Netflix app on my TV.  That's going to open up a whole new can of worms!!!!  Smiley Happy

Won't the app try to access the network to update itself?  I have several apps on my DVD/Blu-ray player but I avoid them like the plague. 

You'll have to go fishing, what with all them worms. Smiley Happy

@maratsade wrote:

Won't the app try to access the network to update itself?  I have several apps on my DVD/Blu-ray player but I avoid them like the plague. 

It may, but I suspect that the update won't be that large.  I've had the TV connected a few times and I performed a manual software update each time I did so.  It didn't ask me to, but I figured since I had it connected I would do it, anyway.  

New Poster

We're having the same problem.  Data is getting gobbled so fast that we went over the limit 2 months in a row despite having 20 GBs vs 10 GBs and we never stream anything.

Totally strange.  We use Windows Defender on Windows 10.

It's gotten so I have to be more careful with using the internet with Gen 5 than I did with Gen 4.

Sophomore

Same problem here!  I have been writing about music (blogging, social media) for over 5 years and need to listen to YouTube music videos, but  since "upgrading" to Gen5 my bandwidth use is so much more than it was before even though I have not changed what I do on the internet.  I also maintain social media accounts for clients, which means that I'm connected to those sites all day. With Gen4 I could do that but Gen5?  No way.  

I looked at my HughesNet data meter a few days into my billing cycle and was shocked to discover how much bandwidth I had used... I would clearly use up the 10GB before I was even halfway through the cycle.  I thought I had some kind of malware sucking the bandwidth.  I ran scans, found nothing.  I turned all my devices to airplane or powered them off.  I turned off the modem at night or when I'm out of the house.  I cut back on how long I would watch a YouTube videos, made sure my ad blockers were working, made sure auto-play, auto-download, auto-anything was turned off.  

Made no difference.  

Then I started researching and found out something I should have seen right at the beginning.  Gen5 says if I was on social media sites one hour a day that would use up all my bandwidth for the month -- no email, no browsing, no movies, no nothing, just ONE hour of Facebook a day. https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started/find-right-plan

ARE YOU KIDDING?  It takes 10GB for Gen5 to deal with 30 hours of Facebook a month?

I feel totally ripped off.  This all started with a tech call to HughesNet to complain about a problem accessing websites with Gen4 and ended up with a recommendation to upgrade.  The tech assured me that 10GB would be okay for what I used internet for and that Gen5 would solve my access problem.  He was right about the latter, but he certainly didn't tell me that Hughesnet was going to provide higher speeds but suck up double (or more) the bandwidth for my doing the same things as I have been doing for five years.

I would consider upgrading to 20GB, but that wouldn't fix the problem:  Gen5 is a data sucker.  For rural people with no ISP options, we are victims, not customers.