cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

Sophomore

Re: Why is Gen5 using way more data that Gen4 ever did?

I sure would like an official answer to this question because from the user end it sure appears that HughesNet has set it up so that everything we do costs multiple times as much bandwidth as it did before.  It is NOT helpful to say that because Gen5 is faster more data can be used in the same time period.   Useage shouldn't suck up two, three, or more times as much bandwidth with Gen5 as it did with Gen4 when the useage is the same.  If a person gets 100 emails a day with Gen4, then just because Gen5 serves up the 100 emails a day faster shouldn't equate to multiple increasess of bandwidth use.

I can see *some* more, but this much more?  It's just wrong.

@rsp87mam87 wrote:

Just wish someone could explain why with Gen4 everything was fine - while Gen5 has gobbled more than half my gigabytes a in a few days. 

Sophomore

@rsp87mam87 wrote:

...  how is that I have had one Hughes modem or another for at least 15 years with 10G or less (can't remember what they started us out with back in the Direcway days)  - and have never had a problem with data running short - ever - unless I was fitting out a new computer.  And even then I would rather get up a 2AM than use my anytime data.  Gen 4 was 10G/50G -- I never had a problem with data.  Nothing on my end changed - except the Gen5. So why?  You can say all day that I have to have a data leak, but then the same data leak must have been here with the Gen4 and I didn't have a problem running short of data - so why? 

Ever since I've started asking the very question above all I ever see is evasive answers that never actually address the question.  But the answer is simple:  Because that's how HughesNet set it up.

Okay, fair enough.  But what is NOT fair is that we, the consumer, can't just dump HughesNet because we're locked into big-penalty contracts.  Plus rural users don't always have any other options.  What I see here is HughesNet taking advantage of consumers that can't do a thing about it.  Or maybe not. Perhaps it is time to look into filing federal consumer complaints (note that HughesNet does not allow me to name that federal agency or use its initials in a post here -- that alone is food for thought).  Contact your elected officials.   

Also, every state has enacted consumer protection statutes, which are modeled afterthe Federal Trade Commission Act. This allows state attorneys, along with general and private consumers, to commence law suits over false ordeceptive advertisements, or other unfair and injurious consumer practices.  

Associate Professor

@lifstrand

Let me stop you right there before you go much further.  This is a Hughesnet operated site, it's a place to come to get assistance, not a place to threaten legal action against anyone, nor is it a place to encourage others to do so.  If you have contacted the F.C.C., FBI, CIA, NSA, F.T.C., SAG or any other three letter acronym, then your issues will be handled by the same group that controls this community with in the time frames alloted by the contacted agency.

If you want help, start a new topic and outline any troubleshooting you have done there.

Distinguished Professor IV

@lifstrand

I'm not sure what defintion you watch your Youtube videos in, but the Video Data Saver might help to reduce the data being used by Youtube.  You can turn it on from within the Status/Usage Meter or by signing in to myAccount page and adjusting it there.  

It keeps videos to no higher than 480p, so if you regularly watch videos at whatever resolution the videos play at this would probably help.  

With regard to Facebook and the figure of one hour a day, I believe they are speaking of one using Facebook without adjusting anything, like the auto video playback and such.  Just with THAT turned off you could probably use Facebook many hours a day not use 10GB in a month, as long as you didn't click on all sorts of videos.  And, of course, you probably DO have it turned off, as most of us learn about that, with regard to Facebook, very quickly.  Adblockers, like Adblock Plus, help a lot, too.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello,

Thank you all for your insights on Gen5 data usage. We recently brought this concern up with our engineers who let us know that they will be conducting their own tests using the same types of software and equipment mentioned here, such as Glasswire. I believe it was also mentioned either on this thread or another, that the issue could be related to a Respond-To-Ping feature. Engineering let us know that they are sure this is not causing the problem. 

We appreciate your patience while this is investigated and will provide any updates as we receive them.

Amanda

Sophomore

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@lifstrand

If you want help, start a new topic and outline any troubleshooting you have done there.

I have done so.

Honorary Alumnus

@lifstrand wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@lifstrand

I have done so.

@lifstrand,

Where might that topic be?

According to your profile you have six posts total in the Community:

Profile.PNG

Four of your posts are replies within this topic that belongs to @rsp87mam87

@C0RR0SIVE suggested that you start a new topic of your own due to not every issue having the same root cause.

Your fifth and sixth posts in the Community were on an unrelated subject.

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Error-message-Unfortunately-the-page-you-are-looking...

Sophomore

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@lifstrand wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@lifstrand

I have done so.

@lifstrand,

Where might that topic be?

I'm so sorry, I actually went to one of the moderators and asked directly.  I got the replies I was looking for without having to wade through the community.  

Sophomore

@GabeU wrote:

@lifstrand

I'm not sure what defintion you watch your Youtube videos in, but the Video Data Saver might help to reduce the data being used by Youtube.  You can turn it on from within the Status/Usage Meter or by signing in to myAccount page and adjusting it there.  

It keeps videos to no higher than 480p, so if you regularly watch videos at whatever resolution the videos play at this would probably help.  

With regard to Facebook and the figure of one hour a day, I believe they are speaking of one using Facebook without adjusting anything, like the auto video playback and such.  Just with THAT turned off you could probably use Facebook many hours a day not use 10GB in a month, as long as you didn't click on all sorts of videos.  And, of course, you probably DO have it turned off, as most of us learn about that, with regard to Facebook, very quickly.  Adblockers, like Adblock Plus, help a lot, too.   

YouTube is set to watch in the lowest definition possible, but at any rate I don't look at YouTubes more than a minute or so because of the bandwidth consumption.  I only watch enough YouTube videos to ensure that what I'm linking to is actually a functioning video and the one I want to be linking to.

I've not heard about anything called a Video Data Saver.  I will look for it.

I already use AdBlocker, all auto-anything is turned off.  All my other devices are on airplane mode or powered down.  I only turn them on before 8 a.m. so as to not use my regular allotted bandwidth.

My modem is password protected.

I run regular antivirus scans.  My antivirus is paid not free version.

My Win7 computer is set to load only the barebones minimum on startup.

I will probably upgrade to 20GB or maybe more, because I have to be able to work and I have no other internet options.  I do wish I could understand why it takes so much more bandwidth now to do the same work I have been doing since I first got HughesNet.  I am more stingy with internet access with Gen5 by far than I was with Gen4.  I wish I had never upgraded.

Sophomore

@Amanda

Amanda,  

Another moderator @Liz copied your response into her response to my thread about essentially the same topic titled "Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5."  I don't know how to copy that thread as a link into this message.  Anyway, I appreciate your response and good to know that the engineers at HughesNet are looking into this.

I have seen many elaborate and detailed responses to this topic in various threads on this subject.  But I, and I'm sure countless others, simply don't have the time or expertise to spend hours and hours researching this, getting software like "Glasswire" as many have suggested, and monitoring it endlessly for days to try to prove to HughesNet that there is a problem.  This is in a vacation home where I want to relax and vacation in my limited time there, not spend countless hours trying to figure out why my data usage on the new HughesNet Gen5 is exponentially larger than on Gen4 even though I'm doing exactly the same activities online.  When I pay $120 a month for internet service, which is double what I pay for much faster internet at my primary home in the city, I at least expect that HughesNet will sort this out and not expect me or other users to figure it out or to have to prove to HughesNet that there is an issue.  

Clearly something is off in how they are counting their data.  As I mentioned in my thread on this subject, I had Gen4 for several years.  As it was a vacation home, we never used more than our 20 GB per month data limit.  We even watched maybe one or two 1080p HD movies a month on our AppleTV.  So I am just dumbfounded that now with Gen5 I somehow supposedly burned through 17 GB in a single day!  This is simply not feasible.  At my primary residence where I have Comcast and speeds of 200 Gbps with data limits of over 1 TB a month, we stream 1080p HD movies or HD content on Netflix all the time.  Yet our total monthly usage is only about 95 GB per month on avearge.  We spend 3/4 or our time at the primary residence and maybe 1/4 at the vacation home where we have HughesNet.  So again, if we stream all kinds of HD at our primary residency and never break 100 GB per month, how on earth could we burn through 17 GB in a single day on HugheNet?  I have recently monitored my useage before and after watching a single 2 hour log 1080p HD movie on AppleTV now with Gen5.  It burned over 7GB for that single movie!  When we did exactly the same thing on Gen4, it only burned about 5 GB.  So what is up with that? Now with Gen5 we seem to routinely be burning through about 2 GB a day just doing routine stuff online like email, web surfing, Facebook, etc.  Before on Gen4 doing exactly the same activities we would only burn through maybe 500 - 750 MB in a day.  It simply cannot be just because it is faster it is burning more data.  Our internet at our primary residence it 8 times faster than Gen5 and we aren't burning data anywhere near that rate. 

So again, something is clearly wrong!  The entire reason we upgraded to the 50 GB Gen5 plan was specifically so that we could now stream some movies on AppleTV or Netflix at our vaction home.  50 GB should be more than enough data given that we are only there about 6 days a month and given that we do the same thing all the time at our primary residence the remaining 24 days a month and still use less than 100 GB a month there.  

HughesNet is a very expensive internet service provider, but our only option (other than Excede) at this vacation home, so I certainly hope HughesNet's engineers sort this out very soon.  Please keep us informed as to the progress.