cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ablstnlki121
Freshman

Why is Hughes net sooooooooooo slow lately? October 4, 2016

Why is Hughes net sooooooooooo slow lately?  October 4, 2016
Many days there are problems with online speed, just looking at pages or getting my e-mail thru the browser.  You phone tech support line is stuck in a loop and willl not work--never got to talk to a live human. Hughes.net is horrible.  There is no wind, nor rain, nor trees interferring today.  What is wrong causing Hughes net's slow service???????  Will Hughes net fix this slowness soon???   What is causing this stupid slowness that is messing up my day??   October 4, 2016
38 REPLIES 38
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi ablstnlki12,

I'm just a regular customer like you and I'm sorry you're having these issues! Nothing is as frustrating as watching that little circle go round and round while you're just trying to open your mail or read the news!

How long have you had Hughesnet service? Are your slow speeds a pretty recent thing?

The speed tests are really important because it's the only way to ascertain whether the speed problem is happening on the Hughesnet end (between the satellite and your house) or on your end. Once we figure that out, we can take steps to fix it so you can do the things you want to do on the internet.

When you say your PC is connected by a wire to the router, do you mean to the modem? It needs to be connected to the modern, not to the router. What kind of cable are you using to connect the computer to the modem?

i know it's very frustrating, but just as you don't expect your mechanic to fix your car in five minutes, please give us (official reps, champions, and community members) a little time to diagnose your computer/internet problem. We want to help! 🙂

Is your laptop the only device that's running slow, or do you have the same issue with your tablet and your other devices?

Sincerely,
Debbie
Liz

Good morning,

Hopefully this will lock in the file size. Try using the automatic test and make sure you have these settings:

For you, left box would be 12 MB and the right box would 2 MB. Be sure to keep that nfw box checked.

Also, monitor your general browsing experience while you're connected directly to the modem. Do you feel that it's faster than what you're used to?

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

ablstnlki121
Freshman

for right now,,,,,,,,,,,,i am NOT wasting more GB on that stupid test and going round in circles with hughes.net.  maybe tomorrow morning in the 2am to 8am time i will try to run that test.  i have dial tone on my phn. right now after tinkering with the wires more...  and i am not wasting another day and whatever GB on hughes. i'll just advertise hughes bad service when my net gets slow again. 
Liz

I sent you 3 500 MB tokens to run the tests (I only need three accurate results), that should be more than enough to accommodate you.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

tmaxx

I have the same issue w/ Hughesnet.  It is always slow... we cant even watch a 2 min YouTube video without it constantly stopping to load.  We are not gamers.. and use the internet for occasional web surfing.  Most of the time we end up turning off the wifi and using our phone data.  I cant wait until my contract is up. 
ablstnlki121
Freshman

I tried this automatic test this morning.  It did not stay at  12 mb.  I give up on hughes random slowness. I am disconnecting from the test now because it has already run 3 tests like you asked for first. http://testmy.net/quickstats/brenda%20w  It might be faster running straight through the modem. 
Liz

Good morning ablstnlki12,

Thank you for the speed tests. At 14.94 Mbps, this is well above your plan offering of 10 Mbps in download speeds. Also, since you noted that browsing feels faster while directly connected to the modem, that's a clue that the network is affecting your performance.

Having concurrent users on a network will affect speeds. For example, if the phone and tablet are both connected to your wifi network, regardless of whether they're being actively used, that may affect the person browsing on the computer. Anything connected to the network shares the single internet connection through the HughesNet modem.

Even the placement of the router can affect performance; if the router is in a corner on the floor or on a different level from where your connected devices are, that will negatively affect speeds. If you share your router model, perhaps our community members may have some additional tips on how to optimize its settings for better performance, or share tips in general, as there are so many factors that can affect speed beyond the moden.

You mentioned your HughesNet Voice service. If you don't have a dial tone, please review the video appropriate for you (Cisco or Innomedia) to ensure your connections are correct and secure, since loose cables can result in no dial tone: http://voice.hughesnet.com/activate/

Thanks,
Liz

curtis-m
Sophomore

But to get your real upload & download speeds, you need to go to fast.com and speedtest.net. My connection is so slow that as of right now I can't even run the tests. And it's a beautiful cloudless day here in the southern rockies.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Curtis, if you want help here it would be best to start your own post at top of page "New Post" button.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Curtis,

It may be a beautiful day in the Rockies but what are the weather conditions at your Gateway ?

fast.com and speedtest.net are not setup to properly account for the high latency of a satellite connection and therefor those tests will not give valid results.

As to not being able to run tests .. have you checked your remaining data to see if you are in FAP or the SCC to see if you have an active error condition.

I too recommend that you start your own topic.

curtis-m
Sophomore

Thanks, but no need to start a new topic when I'm only commenting on what's going on above.

Edit: Gwalk900, so did as you suggested, since, of course, who would trust fast.com or speedtest.net? Did five tests and got 2.4mbps download and 600k upload. This explains why on each and every website I visit I get lots of spinning before the page loads and also explains why it takes forever to get a youtube video to load. And, BTW, my data cycle just started this morning.

Best
ablstnlki121
Freshman

All of my equipment was less than 16 feet away across the room at about the same height as my computer.  Now the modem is on the floor near pc and a couple of wires strung across the walkway.  Right now my phone is not connected--not since I ran the test before daylight this morning. 
I suppose I could only connect my house phone if I wanted to call out if it being disconnected would give me faster internet.  I think I will turn off my voice mail also. I have turned off my answering machine.  I only answer calls if I know the number or who is calling.
My equipment--
Cisco ATA SPA 122--- S/N CCQ 173402RZ
Router  ENHWI2AN45   S/N 565012090000338
Modem HT1100    S/N B3 0010814362 A6

Most of the time my tablet is turned off or I'm reading a book on it that I have already downloaded. 
I have never accessed the internet with my cell phone--not sure my plan from 2003 would do that. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

My honest opinion is that router is a pretty old one and doesn't have very good range according to some of the reviews I read.
poppypuppy
Observer

I agree. My first couple months were great, but these last couple, I may as well be back on my Podunk dial-up. I think it was faster. And yes, I called, got messed around for a good hour put on hold and attacked with lousy canned music and its STILL SLOW!!!!!.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If it resizes to something larger that's an indication that your speeds are very good. 
ablstnlki121
Freshman

ty BirdDog.  guess I am stuck with random slowness.  I suppose stalling is ok in hughes.net's opinion, since I have good speed sometimes. 
ablstnlki121
Freshman

The opinion of the router not having a good range may be right.  Today, Saturday, I moved all  my equipment on my pc desk and it seems faster.  My tablet even got on the network and my phone works also. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Much depends on the frequency of the wireless connection.
I had a 2.4 GHZ cordless phone starting to go bad. Used to be good, something changed. Changed to a DEC6 cordless phone, end of problem.
Wireless is funny.