cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is cellular data.....

Why is cellular data.....

faster than Hughesnet? 

I was not paying attention to something I was uploading and it was still uploading when I was switched from bonus bytes to anytime bytes. I used up almost all of my anytime bytes by mistake. I have an iPhone and using that as a hotspot for internet connection.  Why is a cellphone data plan faster than Hughesnet. The cell tower is around 15 miles away across country by road it is about 25 miles. 
3 REPLIES 3
Associate Professor

Re: Why is cellular data.....

Because it's probably using 4G LTE which has download and upload speeds that surpass most basic cable connections, and would certainly be faster than any satellite internet provider.  Another thing to note, while those cell towers are 15 to 25 miles away, the Hughesnet satellite is ~25,000 miles above the surface.

I understand the difference in miles but my house has a metal roof with metal buildings (hay sheds, grain bins, etc) all around me. The metal blocks / interferes with cellular signal. Still I am paying $150 a month for 20 GB of anytime data and 20 GB of bonus bytes data Hughes Net should be faster than 3g cellular data. I do not get 4G LTE in my area.   

Another question is it possible for buy / order a dedicated IP address. I have called tech support but sadly they are to hard to understand. For me it is easier to understand baby gibberish than the people who answer tech support phones.