I can't remember who it was that posted a month or two back about how their Glasswire app showed very few of the little warning bubbles on the graph. Mine is full of them, and most of them are DNS address changes. Sometimes two or three a day. I think it may have been BirdDog that talked about this, but I wasn't sure, so I figured I'd ask the three of you knowledgeable folks, and anyone else who might know. If I've missed anyone else just as knowledgeable, sorry. LOL.
Any ideas about what's going on, or how to stop it if it's a problem? It's always changing TO 192.168.0.1. When clicking on the "+ 2 more" box on the right, it gives two old DNS server addresses, and they are the same with every instance of changing. The two are exactly the same as what it shows the old one was, which is fec0:0:0:ffff::1, but with a 2 and 3 after them instead of a 1, i.e. fec0:0:0:ffff::2 and fec0:0:0:ffff::3. This is a bit ridiculous, isn't it? Or, again, is this normal? Thanks for the help.
BTW, this is with my desktop connected directly to the modem. No router.
Here is mine:
I agree with corrosive that it is likely DHCP renewal related.
In mine above I was using my old Netgear WNR2000v.1 router. It was IPv4 only with DNS set to Google until late yesterday.
Now on the Asus 3100 and that is IPv6 compatible.
If you are speaking about the IPv4 and IPv6 settings, yes, they are both set to obtain the DNS server address automatically. I do see on Glasswire where, under the Status Meter app, it shows that address as a host. Sometimes I do restart my computer, especially when it has that recent freezing problem, and when it restarts the status meter connects again, of course.
For the next few days I'll write down the time when I start the computer, plus the times when I have to restart. I'll check to see if that start, and the restarts, correspond to the DNS address changes. If it turns out that this is what's causing them, then it's actually nothing to worry about.
I appreciate the help.
No router with this setup. I have yet to check my laptop to see if it does it when I do use the router. I only connect the router and power it up when using my laptop. I might do that later tonight, during Bonus Bytes time, as I have to update the laptop anyway. Actually, my seldom used notebook, as well.
Ah. So yours is doing the same, though to a considerably lesser extent. Interesting.
Well, I've discovered that it's definitely tied to this computer, alone. Neither my laptop, nor more seldom used notebook, have had one single instance of the DNS server changing. When I connected the router and plugged my desktop into one of the LAN connections on it, sure enough, another DNS change, but this time to 192.168.1.1, instead of 192.168.0.1. I think that's because the router has that first DNS locked into it.
Should I try setting both IPv4 and IPv6 to manual and use 192.168.0.1, or could not having them set to automatic cause problems?
All of this fiddling around did prompt me to finally downgrade my notebook from W10 to W8.1, though. It's just too weak to run W10 well. It only has an AMD A4-1250 at 1Ghz and 4GB of memory, so it was very slow, and forget trying to do more than one thing at a time with it. Even with an SSD it was still dreadfully inadequate in the speed and multitasking departments. I know it runs W8.1 halfway decently, so at least I got something good done with this whole adventure, though I had to install W8, update everything, then upgrade to W8.1, and again, update everything, plus reinstalling all of my programs, and I'm still in the process of all of this. At least it will run better, though.
The HughesNet Community is here for you
to find answers and ask fellow HughesNet
subscribers for help. This is a great
opportunity to discuss and share your
expertise to enhance your HughesNet
experience and that of fellow subscribers.
Visit the About the Community board for
information on how to get started with using