I can't remember who it was that posted a month or two back about how their Glasswire app showed very few of the little warning bubbles on the graph. Mine is full of them, and most of them are DNS address changes. Sometimes two or three a day. I think it may have been BirdDog that talked about this, but I wasn't sure, so I figured I'd ask the three of you knowledgeable folks, and anyone else who might know. If I've missed anyone else just as knowledgeable, sorry. LOL.
Any ideas about what's going on, or how to stop it if it's a problem? It's always changing TO 192.168.0.1. When clicking on the "+ 2 more" box on the right, it gives two old DNS server addresses, and they are the same with every instance of changing. The two are exactly the same as what it shows the old one was, which is fec0:0:0:ffff::1, but with a 2 and 3 after them instead of a 1, i.e. fec0:0:0:ffff::2 and fec0:0:0:ffff::3. This is a bit ridiculous, isn't it? Or, again, is this normal? Thanks for the help.
BTW, this is with my desktop connected directly to the modem. No router.
I'd be happy to. It's basically just unchecking the IPv6 line in the adapter settings so that IPv6 isn't used, right?
You want me to change my IPv4 back to automatic, right?
I'll go ahead and do so, but I want to finish a system image backup first (not because of the changing settings, but because I had already planned on it).
Nothing as of yet.
I can't find, nor think of anything that I have on this computer that I don't have on the others, save for a couple of things that don't run on their own. But, so far, no DNS changes, so there may very well be something. Tomorrow I will run the task manager on this and my laptop and compare them to see if anything different is running on this, or at least something that would matter, anyway.
I'm out for now. Have a fantastic weekend!
I think you might have been dead on. I'm changed back to the Google DNS now, but not one time did I have a DNS change while I had the IPv6 turned off and the DNS set to automatic, and I should have had about five or six of them during that time. On Saturday evening, I turned the IPv6 back on and went back to automatic DNS, and about an hour later, sure enough, a DNS change. I turned it back off again and nothing after that. A few minutes ago I changed it back to the Google DNS and turned IPv6 back on.
Interestingly enough, I checked the task manager against my desktop and couldn't find any differences. Perhaps it's just the adapter I have in this, or perhaps a file having to do with the adapter got a little screwy. Or maybe it's something that doesn't show up in "Processes" in the task manager. Either way, it shows that it definitely had something to do with the IPv6.
That was a good catch. Pretty slick.