Why is my data going fast

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schalid
Sophomore

Why is my data going fast

Last month I ran out of data. It looks like this month too. I have had hughesnet for several years now and it has happened before a couple times, but this is 2 months in a row now. I dont watch movies. I only have my laptop hooked to modem. Wifi is off. I had glasswire, but I do not understand it. I see my bonus data is very rarely used. I have not had any huge downloads. 20 GB has always lasted me all month.

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It might be something from the pages you visit. Could be ads, or videos, etc.; the Internet changes over time and the new technologies often eat more data, even if we don't change our habits. 

Do you have ad blockers added to your browsers?  Those would block a lot of that kind of activity and save data. 

You should also make sure that your list of connected devices only has your laptop listed there. 

GabeU

@schalid 

Though it's not going to help with what has already happened, my advice would be to reinstall Glasswire.  Then, if this happens again, we can help you to decipher what Glasswire shows, and once you get the hang of the basics it can be of great benefit.  Regarding the firewall part of Glasswire, you can just ignore it and leave it as is, as what it really does is give more precise control over Windows' built in firewall.  Its default settings, however, leaves everything with your firewall as is.  In all the years I've used Glasswire I've never changed anything in the firewall part.

To add to a couple of the things maratsade said, I've been using Adblock Plus for a number of years now, and it's a great ad blocker.  It's saved me scads of data over the years, no doubt.  The only thing is, if you install it, you'll want to go into its options and uncheck "Allow Acceptable Ads", or you'll still get some ads.  You can get into its options by right clicking on its icon in the toolbar and clicking "Extension Options". 

Lastly, just in case, you can see your connected devices on this modem page.  It shows both the currently connected devices and what was previously connected, but is no longer, since the last time you plugged in your modem.  When the modem is unplugged it erases the logs.  I know you've disabled the WiFi and only have your laptop connected, but it never hurts to look on that page just to be sure.

I have ADblocker and I double checked and the only device connected is laptop. I am again almost out of data for the month. Even earlier than last month. I'll be going back to 56kps.
maratsade

You may want to reinstall Glasswire. Like @GabeU said, you can get help here on how to use it. 

@schalid wrote:
I have ADblocker and I double checked and the only device connected is laptop. I am again almost out of data for the month. Even earlier than last month. I'll be going back to 56kps.

GabeU

@schalid wrote:

If it shows that your laptop is and has been the only thing connected, it almost assuredly means that the laptop is the culprit.  Without a program like Glasswire to monitor the data going in and out of it it's going to be very difficult to discern just what program, app or process is using it.  

You also may want to check your Windows Update Delivery Optimization and make sure it's OFF.  It's under Start > Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options (on the Update screen) > Delivery Optimization.

I looked at settings and in Wifi and internet it says under data useage that microsoft edge has used the biggest chunk of data.
GabeU

@schalid wrote:
I looked at settings and in Wifi and internet it says under data useage that microsoft edge has used the biggest chunk of data.

Do you have an ad blocker installed?  

yes i posted that above.
GabeU

@schalid wrote:
yes i posted that above.

I missed that.  

At least you know in general where it's going, but without a program to monitor its specifics it'll be a guessing game as to what site or sites are particularly high data users.  

Just in case, you may also want to check if syncing is turned on in Edge.  Syncing, in and of itself, can use a lot of data.

Danny89
Junior

Check your programs to see if something is updating in the background!

And while you have just the laptop attached, check the wifi settings to see if there are any devices connected by such, as in some device you dont know about. For example, the other month someone in my household started downloading a movie on the Dish Hopper box, and that gnawed up my data

Since youre not losing any bonus data, it must be something thats active while youre at home and online. Welcome to the internet of things....things that like to eat internet 😛