Why is my internet so SLOW?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
afl5013
Freshman

Why is my internet so SLOW?

My internet is honestly slower than dial-up, before my data runs out, standing right next to the router... 

I tried calling and requesting that a technician be sent out to fix the problem, however the rep just asked me a bunch of questions like was the Wifi light blinking and telling me it was odd that a Youtube video was taking so long to buffer, and then my call got dropped.

Has anyone here had a problem like this? Could it maybe be something with the satellite, as we've had some nasty storms the past few weeks?

Really wishing I read the fine print about the $400 cancellation fee before signing up...

30 REPLIES 30
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This has happened to other people; sometimes because they've run out of data, or because of other reasons.  To begin trying to solve this, you will have to run speed tests and provide some other information.  This will allow the people here to help you troubleshoot where the problem might lie.  Troubleshooting is a systematic process of elimination, so tests need to be conducted.

If you don't have an account with Testmy.net, you may want to create one, because that's where you will be running speed tests.

You will be asked other questions too regarding your system -- many of the answers will be at the SCC (System Control Center), which is located at http://192.168.0.1.

A lot of very experienced people post here, so hang tight, someone will soon post a reply with questions and instructions.

maratsade

OK, so I was hoping @C0RR0SIVE or @GabeU might have dropped by since your post. Maybe someone will show up today (the mods, who are from Hughes HQ, will not be here until Monday). 

In the meantime, you may want to start running a few speed tests. Also, make sure you're not in FAP.  If you've exceeded your data limit, things will slow down, especially if you're using Gen 4. 

To run the tests, create an account at testmy.net

-You need to run a download test

-Choose Manual Test Size

-use the 12MB test file  (for Gen 5, use the 25MB test file)

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with an ethernet cable.
-run a batch of 3 tests during the day/morning and another 3 at night
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here (on Testmy, click Results to go to your results page), it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

GabeU

@afl5013

In addition to the instructions @maratsade laid out for the speed tests, it would be a good idea for you to disable the WiFi while running the tests to make sure that nothing else is sapping the bandwidth at the same time.  

The PDF for the HT2000W is here... http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

The instructions for disabling the WiFi are on the last page, under the heading "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem", line 5.c.  You have to click "Save Settings" after you disable each radio or the settings won't hold, so you have to save four times.  

Thank you @maratsade for the tips. Unfortunately, I've used up all of my data for the month (in under two weeks, which is another issue I have), so Ill have to wait until it resets to get a good reading. 

@GabeU it's almost as if you are speaking another language. Wouldn't disabling the Wifi prevent me from running the tests online? I really think there has to be an easier way for a paying customer to revolve the issue without jumping through hoops. 

Also, before my call got dropped, the tech said my internet was actually running at higher than the 25mpbs (I think he said it was in the 30s). So if I'm being told my internet is running fine and I can't load a single YouTube video, something is wrong there. 

maratsade

@afl5013, definitely something is  very wrong.  The reps here, @Liz and @Amanda can run diagnostics from their side, which, if memory serves, measure whether the satellite is connecting to your site or not.  That may be the speed you were quoted.  I may be totally off-base here, and I hope someone will correct me if so, but the problem may be something with your network.  The satellite may be connecting to your site just fine, but then something may be happening that degrades the connection, and this something may be happening somewhere in your setup.   I  hope someone here can help, and soon.  You may want to also send a PM to Liz or Amanda about this. 

GabeU

@afl5013 wrote:

@GabeU it's almost as if you are speaking another language. Wouldn't disabling the Wifi prevent me from running the tests online? I really think there has to be an easier way for a paying customer to revolve the issue without jumping through hoops. 

No, because the speed tests need to be run with a single device that's directly connected to the modem with a LAN cable, not through a WiFi connection.  WiFi introduces too many variables that can cause speed issues, so a direct connection is how the speed tests need to be run.  

Hughesnet asks customers to run speed tests when they are having a speed issue as speed issues can be caused by a plethora of things, some of which have nothing to do with the service itself.  As an example, can you imagine if they created a truck roll for a speed issue, only for the tech to get to the person's house and find that the fix was a simple, 30 second settings adjustment, and very easily discovered?  Not only would the tech have completely wasted their time, but when it comes time for the customer to pay $125 for thirty seconds worth of work, they aren't going to be very happy.  Ergo, the speed tests are requested of the customer, and using a certain protocol, like testing with a direct connection, to first verify the problem, and secondly to determine where that problem lies:  i.e. on the customer's end or on Hughesnet's.  

Hi afl5013,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting.

After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Thursday, Sep 21, 2017 between 8:00 and 11:00 am. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case # 106336782 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

After the site visit is complete, and you're still subject to our Fair Access Policy, please let me know so I can send you a token to run speed tests for us to evaluate your system performance.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Liz,

Thank you so much! I will not be home tomorrow, but I will call and reschedule it now. I appreciate it!

On a side note, I think Hughestnet needs to improve their customer service line. The person I spoke to could not reschedule my time at all because they could not get in contact with the contractor. They asked me to call back in two hours and said hopefully they will have an awnser by then. Why not just call me back when it is rescheduled to avoid myself wasting their and my time calling when they may not have an answer yet? 

I told them that no one will be here tomorrow to meet the technician so hopefully this will get resolved before they head out here tomorrow. Seems like posting on this message board is definitely the way to go for help. 

So I called back after 2 hours and referenced the number like they said, and after another 20 minutes of the rep going back and forth between me and the contractor, they don't have any times that will work for us. The rep then said that when the contractor calls/texts me to confirm the time, just deal with them directly and tell them that no one will be home before 5pm, so they need to come after that.

Why do I think this isn't going to work out?

maratsade

I think it's better for you to deal directly with the contractor instead of having to go through their office all the time.  I got my installer's phone number and told him I'd be texting and calling him if there were issues (which there weren't).  He was actually very good at keeping me posted on the day he was scheduled to install my Gen 5 system.  He was running late because his other jobs were taking longer than he had expected, and he showed up later than scheduled, but he did show up and did the work just fine.  Maybe if you can communicate with your installer directly, you two can come to an arrangement as to a time when you can be there. 

That said, I think it's good that you reported the glitches, because this will help Hughes monitor and hopefully improve their network of contractors. Some are amazing and others need a bit of professional development....

Hi afl5013,

Thanks for the update. I checked your dispatch notes and it looks like you've already spoken with the tech who indicated they will reach back out to you next week, per your request, to schedule a site visit. I also informed our installations department which oversees dispatches so that they are also aware of the situation. Let us know how it goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi all,

So unfortunately, I think I'm out of options. The technician came out and ran some tests. What he ran, he said looked normal, however he couldn't do much as I'm over my data limit. 

He took a look at the satellite, and said he could replace a piece that normal does the trick (I forget which one), but the satellite was put on the roof in a place where he couldn't legally get to it by OSHA standardswithout anchoring into my roof! That is completely understandable for him, but how was it installed like that???? The only advice he could give me was run a few speed tests when my data comes back to see if it matches what the tech over the phone said and use as little as possible. 

I do not want any more holes drilled into my roof, so I think I'm just going to have to deal with it for 22 more months and then cancel service. Thanks for everyone's help here, it was a million times more helpful than calling customer service. 

Hi afl5013,

Thank you for this update. Would you be OK with having the dish moved to a pole mount on the ground, so long as line of sight to the satellite is available?

Hi Liz,

How high off the ground would the pole be? We have a few dogs so they would most likely get to it while rough-housing in the back yard. 

I would be interested in that, but would need a little more detail about it. 

Thanks Corrosive.

I ran another speed test today (Oct 1st) like the technician said as my data reset, and it still says I'm running at 1 mbps. I'll try again tomorrow, but am unsure why it's still so slow.

testresults.jpg

Good morning afl5013,

If you check your System Control Center (SCC) at 192.168.01 in your browser, you can see when your data resets, you still have about 13 hours to go. In the meantime, I've sent you a free token to run tests. 

Since the tech was not able to work on the dish during this latest visit, I don't expect any improvements in speed. Our installation guidelines on our legal page state that the bottom of the dish be no lower than 4 ft off the ground. Please let me know if you would like to try a dish relocation.

maratsade

"I tried calling and requesting that a technician be sent out to fix the problem, however the rep just asked me a bunch of questions like was the Wifi light blinking and telling me it was odd that a Youtube video was taking so long to buffer, and then my call got dropped."

The first tier reps have a protocol they have to follow - so they have to go through all of those questions, irritating as it is.   Have you tried using the chat?  I much prefer it to the phone, because I think it's easier for people to understand what's being conveyed, as there aren't any barriers that may be present in speech communication.  Can't guarantee the results will be better, though, but it may be worth a try to get on there and ask whether you can request a technician to visit your site.

I don't know  if there's a way to request a technician, like clicking something to order this type of service. If there isn't a way, there should be....as long as the customer is willing to pay for the service, why not?  Verizon used to have that -- you could initiate a repair order and they'd send a technician. It was much more streamlined than having to go through a telephone rep whose hands are tied by protocols.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I don't know  if there's a way to request a technician, like clicking something to order this type of service. If there isn't a way, there should be....as long as the customer is willing to pay for the service, why not?   

I believe Hughesnet prefers to verify that it's a problem that a tech can actually fix before they'll schedule a visit, even if the customer is willing to pay for it.  Certain steps, like the speed tests and remote diagnotics that the reps can run, can help to verify if that's the case.