Why is my internet so SLOW?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
afl5013
Freshman

Why is my internet so SLOW?

My internet is honestly slower than dial-up, before my data runs out, standing right next to the router... 

I tried calling and requesting that a technician be sent out to fix the problem, however the rep just asked me a bunch of questions like was the Wifi light blinking and telling me it was odd that a Youtube video was taking so long to buffer, and then my call got dropped.

Has anyone here had a problem like this? Could it maybe be something with the satellite, as we've had some nasty storms the past few weeks?

Really wishing I read the fine print about the $400 cancellation fee before signing up...

30 REPLIES 30
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I believe Hughesnet prefers to verify that it's a problem that a tech can actually fix before they'll schedule a visit, even if the customer is willing to pay for it.  Certain steps, like the speed tests and remote diagnotics that the reps can run, can help to verify if that's the case."

Stop making sense, @GabeU!!  🙂

Seriously, that does make sense, of course, and it's nice that they do that before sending a tech out. 

Nick1947
New Poster

Mine is very slow too... actually, when I do speed **bleep** during the bonus hours many times it's faster than 25MB. but during the day it fluctuates sometimes as low as .24, or 1.5... etc....    I've been a customer since 9/4, the installer told me it might take a few days for the speed to get up, while software was being updated on modem.... then we had some sever weather, so I though that was the problem.... I've called 9/12, 9/13 and 9/14....  Although I have a expedite basic repair, (2 day), I was told that would not be ordered until they evelauate.... well here it is on 9/17, still slow, no call, no information.... on 9/14 I rote a letter to the CEO.   On 9/12 the over the phone tek person, wanted me to count the seconds it took for a screen web screen to paint....  My slow speed test infromation did not mean anthing to him... He aslo exclated to a hight level and told me someone would call... NO ONE HAD CALLED....   I'm paying 4 time the amount I paid for dsl, just as slow.... WHY?????

maratsade

Nick, you may want to stick with this site -- and run a few structured tests following the instructions above. These tests will count for something here.  The Hughesnet people will be here tomorrow, and they require the tests. If you have already run some and you have an account with Testmy, please post your results link.  The Hughesnet engineers prefer that site to the native test utility, so if you don't have a free account with Testmy, please get one and run tests a few times a day, as per the instructions.

Thank, but as a customer, (a new customer at that) I should get at least a respons, a call or support that I am paying for.  I don't want to make this my life's work... that is why I switched from DSL (1/4 the cost) back to Satelite.

GabeU

@Nick1947 wrote:

Thank, but as a customer, (a new customer at that) I should get at least a respons, a call or support that I am paying for.  I don't want to make this my life's work... that is why I switched from DSL (1/4 the cost) back to Satelite.

Nick, while I agree that you should get a response to your request for phone support, the HughesNet Support Community is a different, separate avenue of receiving help.  If you would like to receive help on here, it would be best for you to start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the tech support section, and perform the speed tests asked of you to not only verify the issue, but to help establish where the problem may lie.  Starting a new topic will keep your issue, and the help you receive for it, separate from others'.     

If you simply choose to wait to see what happens with phone support, that's fine, but again, though both the phone help and this site are support avenues, they are separate, and require their own steps to be taken to address your issue.  

Good luck to you.  

maratsade

@Nick1947 wrote:

I agree you should not sit around waiting to be called, and that if a company tells you they will call, they should.  They haven't, though, so would you rather remain angry while nothing gets done, or would you rather be proactive and try another approach?  

I'm on board with you. We have NO internet since last Thursday. So I came here to read what is causing this issue and quick solutions.  One, after reading people, comments of tech support via phone, decided not a good idea. So on here, these techys requires for you to run all these testing shinnanigans done in intervals spread out during the day or night time.  Then run more tests, same protocol, oh wait, did you plug the router directly into the wall outlet. Run all those tests again, to come back once again to say....oh, plug your laptop directly into the modem and run all of these tests again. If still not working then they ask you to disable the wifi....and so on. I don't have time for all this hoopla of sorts, . I seriously have a life and not the time to deal with all if this 

I work 220 hrs month and husband close to that. We both don't have the time to RUN all of these testing in intervals spread out during the day or night time. We need sleep, so running test at night is not an option

SO, this is what I did yesterday, took to social media on their FB page and ranted. I had a quick response that a case manager would contact us within 2 business days. Pmed them back as requested with account number and a phone number for contacting me.  See how this goes over. Hopefully with better results than what I am discovering on here. The power of social media can be a useful tool.  Hint hint

G

Bonnied50

Mine too. Since June12. I started gen 5 in March and was super pleased. Then suddenly the do ownload only stays generally between 0 and 4 Mbps. My upload is consistently between 2.5 and 3.5 which is great. I had my receiver replaced 2 times. No luck. I have spent months with tech support to no avail. I have disconnected all devices except 1 to do speed tests. No luck. I am pulling out my hair at this point. Was happier with gen 3 before the upgrade. I have a long list of daily speed tests to confirm.

Hi @Liz

We've decided to pass on the pole idea and deal with what we have. We are worried about the dogs (they will find a way to get to it) and the curbside appeal of it.

I ran 4 tests just now and they said the internet is running at 18 mpbs, 17.5 mpbs, 11.5 mpbs and 9.8 mpbs, so something is clearly wrong as the technician over the phone before said we were getting 38 mpbs. Unfortunately with the satellite where it is, it's just something we'll have to put up with.

Thank you for your time with this. I will be cancelling service after my contract is up for sure, but I do appreciate you trying to work this out. 

Good morning afl5013,

Thank you for letting me know, I'm sorry to hear that. Please don't hesitate to reach out again if you have any other concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!