cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my up load and down load speed so slow?

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why is my up load and down load speed so slow?

Stream via satellite???. ....ROTFLMAO! How much do you want to spend. Simple fix... open wallet, buy tokens and grab your ankles
You can stream, within reason.  People stream in SD and LD.  700MB/HR and 300MB/HR, respectively.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

But my point was about streaming. The more you keep streaming, the more you will be paying. You can always Simply log into your Hughesnet account and check if you got "fap" ped . I find that it is the reason for being slowed down alot. It easy enough to just Buy more tokens with your credit card on file then wait a few mins. Then your G2G. Hughesnet users should learn to get familiar with features available to them by logging in. Every hughesnet user should know the system control center on their modem. They put awesome tools there to help

If you stream within reason there's no need to buy any tokens. 

And sure, the service be slowed when FAP status is reached, but if someone is doing that a lot, they should just get satellite TV.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The post by robinfmr said after watching 3 netfix shows they used up half the monthly data and slowed down , doesn't sound unreasonable to me, I sometimes like to binge on catching up with episodes . I don't think anyone is getting netflix on satellite TV anytime soon .

I apologize.  I didn't realize your original post was regarding streaming through satellite.  I thought you were just referring to streaming itself.  Ugh.  It's been a long day.  Sorry.  Disregard half of what I said.  LOL.   

But, with that said, Hughesnet doesn't throttle service until fapped.  The service could have slowed for a myriad of reasons, but not that.  It may have simply been in a peak usage period. 

Trust me I'm not offended, I have fios here. But as a satellite tech for over a decade and certified for just about every system available commercially, from way back to the 4020 series and upto Gen4, I have seen the struggle with many clients.

If I had FIOS available here, I'd have it.  Pretty much anyone with satellite internet would, for sure.  Alas, living in the boonies has its price. 

And with you having been a satellite tech for over a decade, you know better than most that the vast number of problems people are having with their service, or are perceiving to be having, actually have little to do with the service itself.  Misconfigured systems.  Routers.  Things using data they don't realize.  I'm not saying there aren't problems, but if you could actually delete the posts that weren't actual problems with the service itself, the message board and the BBB complaints would be markedly less.   

Some of us local techs refered to it as "the customer being "fRaped"

Well, I understand why the fap is there.  If there was no fap, and unlimited like so many think it should be, the system would slow to a crawl, due to a select few streaming 24/7 or just constantly using the service.

The FAP doesn't bother me, and even when I had my legacy plan, I only ran into it maybe once or twice, and that's since 2004.  When I did I used a free token. 

I have three Windows 10 PCs, and with the exception of the most recent month, due to the anniversary update, I've never used more than 6GB combined. 

Highlighted

Yeah its pretty much always on the customer side of the system when there's a problem. Rarely ever did I need to call the NOC. The commissioning server has had some issues mostly , but once the system is activated and everything is locked down tight. It's pretty reliable and not bad for an average household. Not to good for running a wifi at a campground in the boonies . Even with the highest bussiness plan bandwidth goes pretty quick!