cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this happening with streaming video?

Highlighted
New Poster

Why is this happening with streaming video?

For several months my Hughesnet seems to be degrading. However when I test my speed on testmy.net I'm getting averages of 26+Mbps with top speeds of 40+Mbps. These speeds do not translate into my real-world internet usage. I just watched Netflix buffer for 4 minutes to play 30seconds of video only to start buffering for another 4 minutes. YouTube is the same exact way. I can't even use Hulu or Starz as I get an error whenever I try to stream a video. I'm not talking HD video here either, it's very low resolution. When I first got HughsNet I did not have these problems, but lately it keeps getting worse and worse. According to testmy.net I'm not having speed issues. My router is wired to my computer, so it's not a wifi issue. If I download a large file HughesNet works reasonably well, but it simply will not longer stream from any service I have tried when I use to have no problems streaming, even on the slower speeds with no data left. The only thing I can think of is HughesNet is throttling several streaming services. Can this be confirmed? If that's not it, what is?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why is this happening with streaming video?

@jimmyb82 

Unfortunately, what you're likely experiencing is problems caused by the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet and the significantly increased system load due to the pandemic.  The latency has always been there, but the recent, fairly large increase in load is causing much higher congestion, and when that's coupled with the high latency is can cause problems with streaming.  And though your overall speed may be adequate, congestion can still be there, rearing its ugly head.

Aside from reducing the resolution, which it sounds like you've already done, you can try turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  Though doing may help, there is no guarantee.  This is especially so in the evenings, when congestion is at its most prevalent.   

The reps may still want to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if there are any underlying problems.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually respond within a working day, though when coming back from a weekend it can sometimes take them a little longer.  Still, hopefully you'll see a reply from one on Monday.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
New Poster

Same with me. Never good service. I moved to a different area and it’s no better.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

This is not a social media "same with me" site, where everyone jumps on the bandwagon and does nothing but complain. This is a tech support site where people actively seek solutions with the help of fellow subscribers and HughesNet corporate reps (who can do a lot more for your case than the phone or chat people). 

If you want to use the site for what it's intended, go to the Tech Support main page and click on "start a topic." Provide details about your issues and what you have done so far to improve them, and wait until a corporate rep replies to you. They can check your records, and if need be run diagnostics on your system to see if it's working the way it's supposed to. 

If you only want to "same with me" what other people say, you're in the wrong place. Head to social media and complain there. 

Jenniferaccongi wrote:
Same with me. Never good service. I moved to a different area and it’s no better.

Highlighted

I am a new customer and have been having the same problem no matter the time of day. We bought a place just outside of a small town and Hughesnet was the only choice we had. I emailed tech support and let them know but they have not gotten back to me. I am guessing this is what you get with this type service. When on the internet via phone or PC the wait time is unusually long for far end response. Sort of like in the old days when regular people first had the internet available to them. 

I thought maybe we could use our Verizon phone acct and add a jetpack for our home internet but we have a weak or spotty cell signal as well. It is really frustrating for us and I don't know what to do from here.

Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

One suggestion: Start your own ticket under Tech Support. Go to the main tech support page and click on "start a topic." You can copy and paste what you've posted here.  

@slogan wrote:

Any suggestions?