cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

Freshman

Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

I recently upgraded to Gen5.  This is in a vacation home with only limited usage maybe 6-10 days a month at most.  Nothing else has changed. All the devices connected to the internet are the same and I am using it about the same as I always have. But suddenly I am seeing massive data usage every day.  One day showe up to 17 GB! I have tried streaming a 30 min. TV show with the data saver turned on.  In that past that would be maybe 350 MB.  Now when I check before and right after watching the TV show it is 1.8 GB!  I had HughesNet Gen4 for years and never used more than my 20 GB per month.  I upgraded so that we could occassionly watch a movie or a few more TV shows.  So how is it even possible to burn through 17 GB in a single day? That would be like 3 HD movies or 2 Ultra HD Moview (I don't even have ultra HD). And again, the data saver has been on from day one.  It just doesn't make sense. I am very frustrated.  I'm paying a fortune for this service now with 50 GB, but concerned I'm going to burn through it in days. I have tried calling customer support, but as usual I'm on the phone for 45 min., they can't resolve the problem, then I get cut off and have to call back.  It is just the worst customer support.  Any info. would be appreciated, especially from a HughesNet tech support person. 

• Data Management
13 REPLIES
Adjunct Instructor

Re: Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

@mmollinet

You mentioned in your other post that you are using an Apple Airport Extreme router due to the issue with the 5Ghz radio in the HT2000W.  I'm not at all familiar with that router, but does it have a built in traffic monitor like some other routers do?  If so, and you ONLY connect through that router, you should monitor the usage with such, even if it doesn't break it down into separate devices.  

Because of the speed of the service, it's absolutely possible to burn through that much data in a day, and even much more than that, but figuring out just where the data is going is the trick.  

The following thread has quite a bit of info regarding this topic, including a modem isolation test to determine if the data is "leaking," or if something on your network is actually using it without you knowing.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Also, one other thing.  Though you mentioned it's a vacation home, if you have a DirecTV receiver there and it's connected to the service, that can drain data without notice, and a LOT of it.  It's best to turn off/disassociate its connection to Hughesnet.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Interesting points.  I do not know if the Apple Airport Extreme has a traffic monitoring feature.  I am pretty familiar with it and do not recall see any of that in the system control software features. But I'll have to take a look.

I do have DirectTV attached to it, but I also had it attached to my former Hughesnet Gen4 internet and never had any issue with it using unexpected amounts of data.  It seems to only use large amounts of data if you use watch On Demand content, which we do not use.  But I'll have to pay attention to that and see if any unexpected data being used then.  

After monitoring for several days, the data does only seem to be used when we are actually using the internet.  There is no unexpected data usage at times when we are not home or asleep, etc.  It is just that when we do some activity that uses data, it seems to use far more than it did when we had the Gen4.  Even with Gen4, we occassionaly streamed a full length HD movie on our Apple TV.  But that would use about 5 GB of data for a 2 hour movie.  Now when we tried it with Gen5, it used just over 7 GB of data for a 2 hour movie.  So just wonderin why it is so much more for essentially the same activity (and same HD quality setting on the AppleTV).

Adjunct Instructor

I have one theory, but can't exactly verify it...

There are different bit-rates that can be used at different resolutions, as well as codecs.  For example, 720P can be 8bit or 10bit, then you have H.264 and then H.265.  Depending on the combo, one will use more data than the other.  H.265 saves data, but if the video is 10bit, it would use the same data as an 8bit H.264 stream.  Some streaming services while they autodetect for resolution, will also pick different encodes to get the best color quality on top of the best resolution.  But, I can't say which ones would do this, it's difficult to figure out exactly.  But that could explain the overall difference when watching a 720p video.  The service sees you have extra bandwidth, so they send extra information on the encode to provide better color quality.

Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | IBM M5015 | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 8x WD RE 4TB disks
Freshman

Hmm, yes, perhaps it is something along those lines. I know several websites with streaming video auto-adjust resolution based on bandwidth. I didn't think that AppleTV did that since you can set the desired resolution for TV and movies.  But perhaps you are right that there are still different bit rates and that still alters how much data is used.  

Good morning all,

Just wanted to jump in here and note that Amanda posted this in a similar thread:

Hello,

Thank you all for your insights on Gen5 data usage. We recently brought this concern up with our engineers who let us know that they will be conducting their own tests using the same types of software and equipment mentioned here, such as Glasswire. I believe it was also mentioned either on this thread or another, that the issue could be related to a Respond-To-Ping feature. Engineering let us know that they are sure this is not causing the problem. 

We appreciate your patience while this is investigated and will provide any updates as we receive them.

Amanda

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Teaching Assistant

Hello @Liz

Loaded question #1:

Has Hughes changed the type of data that may be subject to "compression" on Gen5 systems versus Gen4?

Adjunct Instructor

With hindsight being the 20/20 it always is, I certainly wish I would have taken snapshots of Glasswire vs Gen4 to compare with Glasswire vs Gen5.  There is most definitely a marked difference, though I can't prove it as I don't have the snapshots.  I can only say that I know it.  

With that said, though, I still don't believe I'm being "charged" by Hughesnet for more data than I am actually using with Gen5.  Gen4 just provided MUCH better "gas mileage", if you will.  I still suspect the difference has to do with compression, or even where the data usage is tallied by Hughesnet in relation to it.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

@Liz

Liz,

I appreciate your response and it is good to know that the engineers at HughesNet are looking into this. I hope that sort it out very soon.

I have seen many elaborate and detailed responses to this topic in various threads on this subject.  But I, and I'm sure countless others, simply don't have the time or expertise to spend hours and hours researching this, getting software like "Glasswire" as many have suggested, and monitoring it endlessly for days to try to prove to HughesNet that there is a problem.  This is in a vacation home where I want to relax and vacation in my limited time there, not spend countless hours monitoring my internet usage.  Or trying to figure out why my data usage on the new HughesNet Gen5 is exponentially larger than on Gen4 even though I'm doing exactly the same activities online.  When I pay $120 a month for internet service, which is double what I pay for much faster internet at my primary home in the city, I at least expect that HughesNet will sort this out and not expect me or other users to figure it out or to have to prove to HughesNet that there is a problem.

I do not have to use Glasswire and spend hours on this to know that clearly something is off in how HughesNet is tracking data usage for the new Gen5.  It is just so glaringly different than it was with Gen4 doing exactly the same activities.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see there is a problem here. As I previously mentioned, I previously had HughesNet Gen4 for several years.  As it was a vacation home, we never once used more than our 20 GB per month data limit in over 4 years with that service.  We even watched maybe one or two 1080p HD movies a month on our AppleTV.  So I am just dumbfounded that now with Gen5 I somehow supposedly burned through 17 GB in a single day!  This is simply not feasible given our online activities didn't change.  At my primary residence where I have Comcast and speeds of over 200 Gbps with data limits of over 1 TB a month, we stream 1080p HD movies on AppleTV or HD content on Netflix almost every other day.  Yet our total monthly usage is only about 95 GB per month on avearge.  We spend 3/4 or our time at the primary residence and maybe 1/4 at the vacation home where we have HughesNet.  So again, if we stream all kinds of HD at our primary residence and never break 100 GB per month, how on earth could we burn through 17 GB in a single day on HugheNet?  I have recently monitored my useage, before and after watching a single 2 hour log 1080p HD movie on AppleTV now with Gen5.  It burned over 7GB for that single movie!  (And no, it was not Ultra HD, we do not even have that). When we did exactly the same thing on Gen4, it only burned about 5 GB.  So what is up with that? Now with Gen5 we seem to routinely be burning through about 2 GB a day just doing routine stuff online like email, web surfing, Facebook, etc.  Before on Gen4 doing exactly the same activities we would only burn through maybe 500 - 600 MB max in a day.  It simply cannot be just because Gen5 is faster that it must be burning more data.  We are doing exactly the same thing.  The speed should be irrelevant if we are doing the same exact acitivies and using the same resolution for any video streaming content. Our internet at our primary residence is 8 times faster than Gen5 and yet we aren't burning data anywhere near that rate. 

So again, something is clearly wrong!  The entire reason we upgraded to the 50 GB Gen5 plan was specifically so that we could now stream some movies on AppleTV or Netflix a bit more often at our vaction home.  50 GB should be more than enough data to not have to obsessively monitor our usage given that we are only there about 6 days a month and given that we do the same thing all the time at our primary residence the remaining 24 days a month and still use less than 100 GB a month there.  

HughesNet is a very expensive internet service provider, but our only option (other than Excede) at this vacation home, so I certainly hope HughesNet's engineers sort this out very soon.  Please keep us informed as to the progress.

Highlighted

We experienced the same issue.  We called tech support and narrowed down was happening at a certain time of day.  Then the tech asked us if we were watching our Direct TV On Demand service.  That clicked.  We had our Direct TV DVR scheduled to record regular season shows.  

It was automatically recording episodes of these shows from On Demand.  Sometimes several episodes at a time.  We didn't think anything of it until the huge data usage was realized.  We removed the shows from the to do list on the DVR and the usage returned to normal.