Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

Highlighted
Senior

Re: Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

@Whognu53

Yeah... that's one way to FAP out real quick. You need to be real careful how you schedule recordings in the DTV apps as well, because some of them like to default to OD. I did that once for a movie on HDNet - will not happen again. lol

Adjunct Instructor

@Whognu53

Just some info.  Connecting a DirecTV receiver (standard DVR, Genie, etc) to the Hughesnet service is normally advised against, as there is no way to control what data the receiver can, or will, use.  They can use more data than just for On Demand services, unfortunately.  Also, when the receiver is off it's not really off, but in standby mode, still connected, so that's no guard against it using data.  

They can use the your data for updating the guide and movie/TV show descriptions, as well as using it to download the movies that are occasionally available for instant viewing.  There's no guarantee that will use the data, but it can, and there have been instances of this happening to people.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior

+1

Good call. Have actually measured pretty significant data usage from keyword searches in the guide and from the little java apps (weather, scores, etc.) they install.

Adjunct Instructor

MarkJFine wrote:

+1

Good call. Have actually measured pretty significant data usage from keyword searches in the guide and from the little java apps (weather, scores, etc.) they install.

Oh, wow.  I figured they might use data for the apps and such, but never even thought about the searches.  I use DirecTV's search pretty often.  I can just imagine what my data usage would be with that.   

And that's good that you have a hard example of the data usage from such.  Every example and the knowledge that brings helps, that's for sure!  Smiley Happy

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit