Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmollinet
Sophomore

Why sudden massive data usage since upgrade to Gen5

I recently upgraded to Gen5.  This is in a vacation home with only limited usage maybe 6-10 days a month at most.  Nothing else has changed. All the devices connected to the internet are the same and I am using it about the same as I always have. But suddenly I am seeing massive data usage every day.  One day showe up to 17 GB! I have tried streaming a 30 min. TV show with the data saver turned on.  In that past that would be maybe 350 MB.  Now when I check before and right after watching the TV show it is 1.8 GB!  I had HughesNet Gen4 for years and never used more than my 20 GB per month.  I upgraded so that we could occassionly watch a movie or a few more TV shows.  So how is it even possible to burn through 17 GB in a single day? That would be like 3 HD movies or 2 Ultra HD Moview (I don't even have ultra HD). And again, the data saver has been on from day one.  It just doesn't make sense. I am very frustrated.  I'm paying a fortune for this service now with 50 GB, but concerned I'm going to burn through it in days. I have tried calling customer support, but as usual I'm on the phone for 45 min., they can't resolve the problem, then I get cut off and have to call back.  It is just the worst customer support.  Any info. would be appreciated, especially from a HughesNet tech support person. 

28 REPLIES 28