cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why were we lied to?

Why were we lied to?

The sales rep we talked to about our service told us that we would be getting unlimited high speed with no drops, and then we hear about a 10 gb data allowance after we get it installed? That's just lying. And speaking of "high speed", i can't get anything higher than 9mbps up. For ~80 dollars a month? why? How has this company not been sued to oblivion? I'm just plain being lied to. I'd like to have the no data cap that we signed up for, and i'd like to recieve the high speed that i was promised. 
8 REPLIES 8
Advanced Tutor

Re: Why were we lied to?

If you ordered through an 800 number instead of a local Retailer, then one of the HughesNet Mods here may be able to pull a recording of your sales call. They're usually not around on the weekends so you may need to wait until Monday for a response.

In the meantime, post your modem's serial number, found on a sticker on the back or bottom, so they can locate your account.

Note: 9 Mbps down is a normal speed for the $80/mo. PRO Plus plan. It's rated at up to 10 Mbps down and up to 2 Mbps upload. Max speeds are not guaranteed by HughesNet, or for that matter, any ISP.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Honorary Alumnus

I suggest you post a case number or the serial number of your modem so the Hughes Reps can review your sale call when they return to work Monday.

Speeds are going to vary by "system platform" and of course selected plan level

What modem do you have ? (HN9000 or HT1000/1100) and plan level are you on ?

When measuring speeds are you connected directly to the modem or through a router ?

Where are you running the speed test from ?

Only two places are accepted:

The "official" Hughes test found at http"//supportcenter.myhughesnet.com or the 12MB test at www.testmy.net

Run a series of 3 to 5 tests and post the results here. Run the tests while connected directly to the modem ... no router.

As to data caps .. speaking as a 12 year Hughes subscriber ... Hughes has always had data caps and always will.

After you have exhausted your plans monthly data allotment you will not be "kicked off" but you will be severely throttled.

Satellite Internet is "hardware limited" as to how much data can pass through the satellite, a beam or a gateway at any given instant ... it can NOT be like cable, DSL or any ground based ISP.

They need to check phone recordings because they do lie and that's a fact.
Honorary Alumnus

Jeanie,

For a fact, they do indeed review sales calls when asked.

Another fact is they respond to posts such as your very first billing related topic:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/why-do-my-bill-keep-escalating

That will be the one that Chris replied to but you never responded:

Chris, Official Rep

• 1436 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes

Hi Jeanie,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community! Alan is spot on. I can also get more details for you with a recent case number or the serial number on the back/bottom of your modem. This info will allow me to pull up your account and break down exactly which circumstance is causing your bill increase. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello cjandgk,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. I am very sorry that you feel you've been misled and would like to help you out by listening to the sales call. I was able to locate your account via your e-mail you signed up with and have already located the sales center who sold you the service. We will review the call and return with our findings and next steps to resolve your concerns. I appreciate your patience.

Best regards
Amanda

Hi cjandgk,

Thank you for waiting. Our team has had the call reviewed and did confirm with us that the sales agent was not clear in regards to correct expectations with the fair access policy and our data plans. The sales agent will be coached on the correct way to explain data allowances. Unfortunately, we don't have the network infrastructure or a plan to offer you that is unlimited. Since you were installed on 1/4/16, you do still have time to call and cancel with us at no cost. 

Thank you,
Amanda

I am on my second day of Hughes Net service.  I am now worried about the data allowance.  The sales rep told me Hughes does not charge for overage.  I told the rep. I will be using 50 to 60gb during the day. Normal business hours.  I asked him atleast 3x if I will be charged.  Did I get misinformation.  Does the speed go down when I reach my limit?  Are their overage charges? How long do I have to try the service and cancel if need be. Appreciate the response

Good morning holtx222,

Welcome and thanks for posting. To add onto what Bill said, you can cancel without penalty within the first 30 days of service (counting from your installation date).

If you have additional concerns, please start your own thread so we can better focus on addressing your concerns.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->