Hughesnet Community

Why won't Hughesnet go with an unlimited plan?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's A Trap!

Why won't Hughesnet go with an unlimited plan?

Why won't HUghesnet go unlimited? Seriously there is no reason not to. You have satellites up there, I understand that latency is caused by distance but...data caps are not. Hughesnet is only capping data to make lots of profits off their victims right?
At least try to sympathize with people who live in rural areas and have no choice but crappy internet service.

And yeah I get it, "hughesnet is doing us a favor" but to be honest someone was going to do it if it wasn't you.
19 REPLIES 19
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

With very little competition, there is no reason to.  Also, there is only so much bandwidth available.  Unlimited plans are not really feasible with satellite as it is now.  Perhaps in the distant future, but not now.   
Mordacious

Satellites have limitations, the amount of bandwidth they can handle is one of them
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Seriously there is no reason not to. You have satellites up there, I understand that latency is caused by distance but...data caps are not. Hughesnet is only capping data to make lots of profits off their victims right? 
Unlimited data is not going to happen. In fact, ground-based Cable, cell and DSL providers are all implementing data caps.

HughesNet has one Jupiter satellite with up to 100 Gbps data throughput. If every customer using it was unlimited, your speeds (and everyone's) would quickly slow to a crawl.

The satellite can't be upgraded to provide more throughput than it has now. Better to learn how to live within your limits (it can be done).

Or, you could switch to a cell phone provider and pay when you exceed their data caps. Verizon and AT&T both offer 100GB/mo. data plans for north of $700/mo.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
GabeU

Technically, with Hughesnet you could keep buying tokens so you could have unlimited data.  Of course, that would end up costing more than a Mercedes after a while.  LOL. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

School Shooter vibes
Pretty ugly thing to post. Totally insensitive, disgusting, and not at all funny.
GabeU

It took me a second to see that.  You are absolutely correct.  Very insensitive and uncalled for.  Not something to casually joke about on message boards. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Let me see if I understand; You're complaining about the price and data caps, yet you're apparently getting your Internet service for free because it's your dad paying for it, correct?: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/what-are-all-my-internet-options-in-my-area
billmiller43

I have a 5/50gb plan, and never use all of it. BUT, I run a Mac, so checking for virus updates every day and WIndoz updates frequently suck up data. Also FB and Google are "Data Hogs". When I used FB we ran out with the largest plan and bought tokens. Since I no longer use FB very often, I have used 1.4gb in 17 days. And 3.7gb of my 50gb bonus bytes. Just buy a cheap used Mac for the net, and you will save lots of money. No $500/10yrs. for PCMatic, OSX updates are free from Apple. How much did you pay for Win10? I dropped about $1000 in 5 years for Windoz upgrades.
Mordacious

You had to go there,  you just had to go there.
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

You it it right on the head, Alan.

-Liz
Mordacious

I missed it too. Maybe this clown needs a visit from law enforcement.
GabeU

billmiller43,

I have a desktop and a laptop, both kept up to date, and both PC with Windows 10.  The desktop is my main computer.  I am on day 30 of my cycle, and I have used less than you in your 17 days.  I also use Facebook.  It's not necessarily what you have (Mac vs PC), it's how you have it set up to use, and how you use it.  

Mordacious

Turn off auto play for videos and you will save tons on FB.

But I agree, not only should they offer unlimited data but the modem should make coffee in the morning and wake me up.
GabeU

Mine makes the greatest coffee in the world.  An HT1100KeurigStarbucks model.  It's even voice activated!  Alas, it doesn't wake me up, either, save for the coffee. 

GabeU

Liz,

When you are signed in under "Community Workload", does that mean you are really, Really, REALLY busy, as opposed to your normal "Liz" sign on?  LOL. 

Mordacious

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think it means she pushed the wrong button.  : )
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

When you are signed in under "Community Workload", does that mean you are really, Really, REALLY busy, as opposed to your normal "Liz" sign on?

Haha in this case, yes! 

-Liz