cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Connections

Highlighted
Spectator

WiFi Connections

My husband and I are thinking about upgrading from the HN9000 to the Gen 5. I need to know exactly how many devices can connect to the WiFi. We have 4 computers, 1 laptop, 7 tablets, 1 Kindle, and 5 phones. Would the WiFi be able to handle it all?

Thanks,

Kimberly

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: WiFi Connections

Kimberly, if you are saying all those devices connected at the same time and users doing whatever they want, like streaming video, then I would say no residential satellite internet can handle that without significant slowdowns.

Maybe you can explain further what you want all those devices to do and if connected at the same time. 

If instead you mean can that many devices have access through the modem, then yes it can handle that.

Spectator

BirdDog,

That is the total of devices we have. On average, about 4 to 7 devices connected at any given time. Of course I didn't include game systems in the home as well. But most of those will be done during Free Time.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

OK Kimberly, but again with 4-7 devices connected at one time the speed is shared across all devices. So, even at say 40 Mbps speed then 7 devices would be getting a piece of that depending what they are doing. Browsing should be no problem but all trying to stream video at the same time could be a problem especially at higher definitions. Of course then you'd also eat through allownace in short order.

EDIT: Distance each device is from the modem will also impact the WiFi performance.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Kimberly

Also, keep in mind that there is no "free time" with Gen5.  You'll have Service Plan Data, which is the size of the plan you choose, and then Bonus Zone data, wich is 50GB for all Gen5 plans.  Bonus Zone data is only utilized between 2AM and 8AM.  Service Plan Data is normally used between 8AM and 2AM, but would also be utilized during the Bonus Zone time if you happen to be out of Bonus Zone data and something is utilizing the service during that time.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit