WiFi password prohibited characters

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
artt
New Poster

WiFi password prohibited characters

Trying to reset my WiFi password to a password that includes the apostrophe (‘) character but the router diesn’t seem to accept it.  Is this an allowed character for the WiFi password?

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

That very likely means it's not an allowed character. 

artt wrote:

Trying to reset my WiFi password to a password that includes the apostrophe (‘) character but the router diesn’t seem to accept it.  Is this an allowed character for the WiFi password?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've never had a device that accepts apostrophe in the password.

Quotes are probably bad too. All these things use php as an ebedded language. php uses single and double quotes to delineate character arrays and strings, respectively. Trying to include one in any password is probably ill-advised.

Edit: Was just thinking what would happen if it did accept those characters and tried to process it that way. Whatever you input would be truncated to just before the single/double quote and saved in the system as that. Certainly would not the password you intended it to be, leaving you locked out of the system.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Both my older routers did. That’s why I’m trying t use it again...save time re-logging in all my WiFi devices if I reuse the same SSID and password.

Good morning artt,

Thanks for posting, were you ever able to save your password? I tested using an apostrophe in our HT2000w and it was accepted. Did you make sure to click the save button afterwards? You would see an animated progress bar indicating that your settings are being changed.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!