WiFi performance constipation HT2000W

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motobojo
Junior

WiFi performance constipation HT2000W

My Gen5 upgrade has been great so far. I made the huge leap from legacy HN7000S so the performance bump is GREAT. 

I've noticed something that seems a bit odd though.  I've been performing testmy & hughesnet performance tests and noticed substantial difference between the tests run via wired & wireless (e.g,. ~50 vs. ~15 (all speeds are download speeds in Mbits/s)).  I dinked around and found that if I rebooted the modem that right after reboot the wireless performance was back on par with the wired performance.  It's beginning to feel like the wireless path gets constipated over time.  I haven't done the analysis to see how fast the constipation builds up.  My checks have been roughly 24 hours apart so far.  To be honest I haven't really noticed the performance differential in my 'normal' operations, I've only taken note as a result of the speed tests ... that is, qualitatively it's not an issue, just an interesting quantitative curiousity.

At first I just attributed it to wireless being slower, but the subsequent test said that didn't need to be the case.  I also considered the difference between 2 & 5 gHz wi-fi and found no difference in this behavior.  One other thing that may be related though is that I've noticed that the 5gHz becomes unavailable over time and the modem reboot fixes that.  FWIW the wi-fi testing is done with my tablet 1ft away from the modem so distance and obstacles are likely not an issue. Smiley Wink

You can find my testmy.net results here.

I have tried to ensure that no other network traffic is underway during these tests and I've run the experiment a couple of times.

Any thoughts?

Oh, is there a way in the systemcontrolcenter to do a (soft) reset of the modem?  Or a soft reset of the wi-fi portion of the modem?

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Interesting... I'm going to do this with my network and see if I can replicate your results.

motobojo
Junior

wow, crickets / silence .... Smiley Wink

The situation still persists.  Does anyone else see this gradual degradation of performance via wi-fi that can be 'cleared' by rebooting the HT2000W?

I guess the silence might be due to the fact that the performance never really gets bad, just significantly less than the wired path (which remains VERY nice).

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Most of the users here have elected to use their own wifi networks instead of the one the modem provides... On occasion I will hop onto the one supplied by the modem, but haven't noticed a performance decrease over time when I am on it.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"The situation still persists.  Does anyone else see this gradual degradation of performance via wi-fi that can be 'cleared' by rebooting the HT2000W?"

I do not. I tested using the same method you used but I do not see the same results.  ETA: I'm using the network provided by the modem.