Steve3987
New Poster

WiFi poor

My WiFi is poor and Im sitting right in front of my computer 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Steve3987 

The bars on your phone are only for your Verizon service.  They don't indicate anything with HughesNet.

Edit:  You had replied with your realization of this while I was typing my reply.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

And where is your computer in relation to the modem?

How do you know your wifi is "poor"? Are you using an app to measure wifi strength? 

GabeU

@Steve3987 

What's going on?  Are you sure the problem, whatever it is, is with the WiFi itself?  

There is a WiFi signal tester in the HughesNet Mobile app.  You can get the app for Android and Apple products at Google Play and the App Store, respectively.  With the app installed and open, the WiFi tester is the middle icon that shows after you tap on the orange plus sign on the bottom right.  

Make sure the mobile device you're using for testing the WiFi signal is connected to the same band your computer is utilizing (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz).  Also, make sure to hold the testing device next to where the computer is so that you're testing the signal strength at the area of the computer.  

Just in case, and to allay any confusion, WiFi is a specific method of wirelessly connecting devices to a source, such as the HughesNet modem or a WiFi router, which is connected to the internet.  It's the alternative to connecting your devices to the HughesNet modem with a physical LAN (Ethernet) cable.  I explain this to differentiate between a problem with your WiFi itself and a problem with your internet.

So my modem is sitting right on the top of my computer, under my desk, when I walk in the house my Iphone switches over to the Huges net, while sitting in my office right in front of the modem I have 1 sometimes 2 bars on my phone. I have Verizon for cell service and the huges Net is better than Verizon based upon me living in rural Northern Wisconsin. I thought about ordering the WiFi booster or I am doing something else wrong.        

GabeU

@Steve3987 

The bars on your phone are only for your Verizon service.  They don't indicate anything with HughesNet.

Edit:  You had replied with your realization of this while I was typing my reply.

After reviewing the app I have excellant WiFi, it's the cell tower signal that I'm having issue with