cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Highlighted
Sophomore

Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Tested over a 12 hour period using my PC directly connected to the router via ethernet, wi-fi disabled, on Saturday, 8/24.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/bluesky636

Satellite NameEchoStar-17-NAD
Gateway ID2
Beam ID33
Outroute ID24

I have a Gen 5 system with 50 GBytes.

Tier 3 support told me, and this is a direct quote: "The satellite is broken. We are trying to fix it but don't know when it will be fixed."

No other solution was offered to me although supposedly I will be getting a $30/month discount for 6 months.

My wife and I are 65 years old. We are not gamers. At most we watch some You Tube videos. Resolutions above 360p result in severe buffering. Even at the highest measured downlink rate, buffering occurred at 480p and above.

We have 1 PC, a laptop, two Android phones, plus a printer on the wi-fi network. Not all at the same time. I haven't even bothered to connect the smart tv to the internet as it would be a waste of time. I have the PC connected to hug5 (it is in the same room as the router). Everything else is scattered around the house and connected to hug2.

After moving from the suburbs with Verizon Fios at 100 Mb/s, to the country, Hughesnet even at the highest measure rate is a huge disappoinment.

58 REPLIES 58
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

@bluesky636 

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 5PM EST, so the earliest you'll likely hear from one is Monday, but they will surely reply.

BTW, I can assure you that the ES17 satellite is not "broken", even if a phone rep may mistakenly think and say that.  It's possible that there's an issue with your particular beam or gateway that they are presently working on, though.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

It was a tier 3 rep that made that statement. If they don't know what they are talking about then they should find another job.
Professor

Your uploads look fine, but your downloads are very slow. The HN staff on this site can run diagnostics on your modem and determine what may be going on. And I agree that if the phone rep actually made the statement you allege s/he did, that's something that corporate needs to look into. 

bluesky636 wrote:
It was a tier 3 rep that made that statement. If they don't know what they are talking about then they should find another job.

Professor

@GabeU wrote:

"BTW, I can assure you that the ES17 satellite is not "broken", even if a phone rep may mistakenly think and say that.  It's possible that there's an issue with your particular beam or gateway that they are presently working on, though."

Maybe they didn't word it right and said "broken" when they should have said they've been experiencing technical difficulties. Hopefully there are notes the mods here can look into; and if the agent truly gave incorrect information, one hopes something will be done about it. 

@bluesky636 wrote:

Because of a lot of people not knowing the more intricate aspects, or even the more basic aspects, of how satellite internet works, it's likely easier for them to say something like that in order to not confuse those who might not understand what they're referring to.  More or less a blanket statement to cover a bunch of different things that they may be working on at the given time of an issue.

There are a variety of things that can cause speed issues, including for a group of people.  It could be something having to do with what I mentioned earlier, or even a software issue with said beam or gateway.  That they're working on it, though, is good, and telling.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

For the record, I spent the last 40 years before retiring working with various classified US govt Intel community satcom systems. My job title for the last 5 years was "Senior Satellite Systems Engineer". I may not be familiar with the Hughesnet satellite constellation, but I am intimately familiar with a number of other Govt satcom systems from an operational standpoint, performance testing, and impacts to performance due to weather, system loading, and other factors. I have been researching the performance issues related to both Echostar 17 and 19 and am quite disappointed with the comparison of actual vs claimed performance and very unhappy with what I am getting for the money I am paying.

@bluesky636 wrote:
 I have been researching the performance issues related to both Echostar 17 and 19 and am quite disappointed with the comparison of actual vs claimed performance and very unhappy with what I am getting for the money I am paying.

Firstly, HughesNet has 1.3 million customers, with the vast majority of those customers having either Gen4 or Gen5, and with majority of those customers being on the ES17 or ES19 sats.  The number of complaints, in reality, is very small in comparison to the number of customers on the system.  To give a percentage of customers who are satisfied is impossible, but they're in that 98%+ of customers that you never see anything from, not the ~ 1% you do, because satisfied customers don't tend to post about it. 

Secondly, we get that you're unhappy.  If you weren't, you wouldn't be here, having run the required tests, and waiting for a reply from a HughesNet rep.

Edit:  BTW, if you took offense to my explanation as to why they say what they do, none was intended.  Neither I, nor the HughesNet reps, have any knowledge of any particular person's experience, and even when they do, they may still use the more basic terms and explanations.  The phone reps just use the terms that will be understood by most people.  If they say the satellite is broken, most people would understand that it means that something needs to be fixed.  If they said that a gateway server was experiencing issues, many wouldn't know what a server was, and probably even less a gateway, or at least a gateway in the context of satellite internet.  That's just an example, but that's all I meant.  It wasn't to question your knowledge.    

Sophomore

Deleted

Sophomore

Original issue posted Saturday. Here it is Tuesday and crickets from Hughesnet except for a PM offering to allow me to cancel my service with no penalty. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement.