cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Sophomore

Re: Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Was just advised that the "engineers are working to improve service" but no ETA is available. Well, I've got a $30 a month discount for 6 months. If not resolved by then can I expect free service?
Assistant Professor

@bluesky636 wrote:
Was just advised that the "engineers are working to improve service" but no ETA is available. Well, I've got a $30 a month discount for 6 months. If not resolved by then can I expect free service?

Are you bragging or complaining?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

You must be one of the 98%+ of HughesNet customers that are happy with their service. So sorry that I am in the 1% category who feel that they are not getting the service they are paying for and would like more than excuses and apologies.

Assistant Professor

I'm really surprised that a person such as yourself that was involved in satcom systems (I was involved with a couple of Army programs, myself) and seems to be knowledgable of IP protocols, that this doesn't meet your expectations.

Am I happy that this is my only option - no. I'd be kidding you if I didn't prefer fios provided service in my area.

Have I learned to live within the limitations of commercial satellite internet - yes.

Does it suit my purposes given those limitations - yes.

If you're upset that no one is helping you other than with excuses and apologies, I will tell you that I think you'd get a lot more bees with honey. You've already jumped all over someone else that was trying to help. What makes you think someone else would want to?

You did know this is a customer-to-customer support site, right? The admins are really only here part-time and for extreme circumstances.

Bottom line: I'd advise you to be patient and tone down the rhetoric. And if someone offers you some expert help, don't bite their head off.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

I don't think my expectations are out of line with the capabilities that are advertised by Hughesnet.

1. Read and send e-mail.

2. Open web pages in a timely manner without sitting and waiting.

3. Being able to watch a You Tube video at a higher resolution than 360p without buffering every few seconds.

4. It would be nice to be able to watch a Netflix program on my new TV in high definition without using up all my data.

As it stands now, none of those things are possible with the exception of e-mail. We don't play games on the computer. We have one PC, one laptop, a printer and two Android phones connected to the wi-fi, not all being used at the same time.

I called and complained to customer service on 8/7. The rep ran remote tests and pronounced my system was working properly. He had me run speed test using testmy.net both with and without wi-fi turned on. Speeds were barely out of the couple hundred kbs range under the best conditions. I was told my complaint would be elevated to tier 3.

On 8/9 I received call from a tier 3 rep who told me, and I quote, "The satellite you are connected to is broken and being worked on. No ETA is available." I was offered a $30/month discount for 6 months as "compensation", bringing my monthly bill down to $130/month from $160/month. Hardly just compensation for a system that is barely limping along.

I made my first post to this forum a couple of weeks ago and was told I needed to run a bunch of tests to provide data that the moderators would send to the engineers to evaluate. I finally found time to do that and collected data about every two hours over a 12 hour period. I posted that information here. The results were slightly better then before but there was no overall improvement in performance. Responses I got back contained no useful information beyond the generic comments about loading, weather, latency, etc. The first response I got back from a moderator was a PM saying if I was unhappy, I could cancel my account without penalty. Given that DSL is the only other option for the area I live in (I don't even have a land line connection and don't want one), I declined. And yes, we moved after we retired from an area with 100GPS FIOS to the country. I knew things would not be as good as we had before, but did not expect them to be this bad. Finally, the last word I got from the moderator was that "The engineers are currently working to improve service, and improvement is expected, but there's no ETA. I know that's a very broad statement, I prefer getting details too, but I don't have anything more than that. I did escalate your concern to engineering if they have any other information they can provide." I'm not expecting anything further.

I have read multiple pages in this forum containing nothing but complaints about slow speeds. Very rarely did I find any real solutions to people's problems unless there was an equipment problem with the customer's installation. If it appears to be a HughesNet problem, the response is usually "it is being worked on". I also noticed that a lot of people just gave up and stopped posting when nothng was accomplished or because they were totally baffled by the instructions on how the speed tests need to be conducted.

So yeah. My rhetoric is strong. I have done what was asked of me to do as far as providing data to be evaluated but do not feel I have gotten much of value in return. As far as this forum being customer-to-customer, I see this sentence or variants of it posted in virtually all complaints about slow speeds: "The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so."

So I guess I will just continue to periodically run speed tests and wait for the satellite to be repaired. Maybe a faster form of internet will be available before that happens, bt I am not holding my breath.

Assistant Professor

Aside from the tests, have you run a traceroute to something like microsoft.com?

I'm not that familiar with E17's ground stations, but I'd be interested in seeing the route it takes.

Sophomore

Although I understand what you probably mean, I am not familiar with how such a test would be run. My work strictly involved the RF path between the ground terminal, satellite, and remote field users. The links between the the GT and satellite controllers were not in my purview and in fact wete different for each user of the satellite.
Assistant Professor

If you run Windows, run a command window from Windows System > Command Prompt in the Windows menu and type:
   tracert microsoft.com

If you run Mac or Linux, bring up a terminal window (terminal.app) and type:
   traceroute microsoft.com

Then copy/paste the first 8 or so numbered lines here.

Sophomore

Tracing route to microsoft.com [13.77.161.179]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 782 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.42.1
2 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 100.78.133.241
3 560 ms 727 ms 608 ms dpc6935206109.direcpc.com [69.35.206.109]
4 690 ms 557 ms 1346 ms dpc6935204058.direcpc.com [69.35.204.58]
5 687 ms 566 ms 556 ms dpc6935204034.direcpc.com [69.35.204.34]
6 620 ms 556 ms 757 ms te0-0-1-0.nr11.b023257-1.abq01.atlas.cogentco.com [38.104.52.49]
7 556 ms 717 ms 847 ms te0-0-1-3.rcr12.abq01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.24.26.253]
8 585 ms 578 ms 587 ms be2056.rcr12.cos01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.43.238]
9 565 ms 577 ms 676 ms be12502.ccr22.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.42.117]
10 549 ms 584 ms 596 ms be3415.rcr21.b006467-6.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.30.242]
11 559 ms 586 ms 587 ms 38.142.160.218
12 623 ms 558 ms 637 ms ae22-0.icr03.cys04.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.238.83]
13 695 ms 678 ms 827 ms be-141-0.ibr01.cys04.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.21.249]
14 572 ms 606 ms 696 ms be-8-0.ibr01.mwh01.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.18.223]
15 618 ms 836 ms 596 ms ae102-0.icr02.mwh01.ntwk.msn.net [104.44.21.142]
16 * * * Request timed out.

Assistant Professor

That's actually a pretty decent trace for satellite and it looks like you don't hit any hiccups until you're well into MS's rat's nest.