cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Sophomore

Re: Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

And this relates to my slow downlink how?
Assistant Professor

Sorry, I probably should have elaborated.

What it really tells me is what it isn't. Your lag times were around the 500-700ms range almost all the way through, and not one was repeated through an alternate hop. So it isn't likely to be from congestion/rerouting nor something related to poor routing, which would typically elevate latency into the 1200ms-plus range, even in spots.

Also some ground station providers have been having issues with minute-long 'drop outs' that have also been causing problems that manifest in intermittent speed and stream buffering issues. Yours is Cogent, and they don't appear to have this problem... silver lining.

All this said, they have you on E17 and not E19. That's either due to a spot beam coverage issue in your location or because of known problems on E19's spot in that area. If they can't fix what may be wrong, they may want to try to repoint you to E19, or even see if it's feasible. That may be why it's taking a while... to figure out what may be the best course of action for the long term.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

When the tier 3 rep told me "the satellite was broken", I asked to be pointed at a different bird (I had not researched the ES17 and ES19 issues at the time). I was told that "was not possible". None of the HN reps on this forum mentioned the possibility of repointing my dish. In fact, none of them have really said anything significant about what is going on with my case.
Sophomore

The approximate coordinates for my location are:

Latitude: 37.6330653
Longitude: -79.5430299

How do I find the beam that covers my location?
Distinguished Professor III

@bluesky636 wrote:
The approximate coordinates for my location are:

Latitude: 37.6330653
Longitude: -79.5430299

How do I find the beam that covers my location?

Unlike the ES17, the beam locations for the ES19 satellite have not been published.  Other than a rep telling you, or a person from the same area telling you what ES19 beam they're on, there's no way to know what beam covers your area.  See edit below.

With that said, being that they put you on the ES17 from the start (new Gen5 installs are normally pointed to the ES19), and with a Tier 3 rep stating that changing to another sat wasn't a possibility, it's likely that the ES19 beam that covers your area is either already very heavily loaded or there is some type of issue with it, though the former is the much more likely of the two.

That they offered to allow you to cancel without penalty, then gave you a discount for six months, suggests that, other than what they're already working on to fix the issue, there's not really anything they can do.

Edit:  It appears that SatBeams has corrected their ES19 information (it was still a duplicate of ES17 as of last week).  It looks like your area would be on the fringes of a few different beams, with Beam 68 probably being the closest.  But, again, there's likely a reason they didn't put you on the ES19 sat in the first place.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Yeah, likely on 68 (which is what I'm on, and I'm in Fauquier). 83 is likely too far south.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Sophomore

According to the info in my first post, my beam ID is 33 on ES17. I have not had time to plot it and compare to 68 on 19 as I have company this weekend.

What is considered a heavy load on the satellite? Rockbridge County, where I live has a population of just over 22,000. The nearest large city to me is Roanoke with a population of about 97,000. I doubt all of them are on Hughesnet. LOL
Distinguished Professor III

@bluesky636 wrote:
What is considered a heavy load on the satellite? Rockbridge County, where I live has a population of just over 22,000. The nearest large city to me is Roanoke with a population of about 97,000. I doubt all of them are on Hughesnet. LOL

The ES19 satellite as a whole has a throughput of roughly 225Gpbs.  If you click on the link I gave for beam 68, you can see the footprint, which covers parts of three or four states.  Beam capacity varies.  Only a rep would know what might be considered a heavy load on any particular beam, and they're very unlikely to say.   

Beam 33 on the ES17 covers an even larger area, though the satellite itself only provides service, for the most part, to the eastern half of the country.  The ES17's throughput is roughly 100Gbps.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Spectator

I too 65 years old and I always use my data before the end of the month.  I don't understand why but I am told it was due to downloading photos etc.  Once this contract ends I am definetly going back to using my hotspot. Each time I contact them it's always someone off shore.  I too have been told varying stories as to why it's slow.  I have a laptop and cell phone.  I don't use wifi on my cell anymore.  

Professor

This site is for tech and account support that is at a higher level than the phone support you have contacted before. The Hughesnet staff here is located in Maryland, at the corporate HQ, and have more authority than the phone support. They may be able to help you, and if not, they will likely offer you and out, like they did to the OP. 

Each thread on this site is equivalent to an individual  tech support ticket.   Please create your own ticket by going back to the Tech Support home page and clicking "Start a topic."  You will likely not get support if you're on someone else's ticket, and even though you think your issues may be the same as another subscriber's, they may not have the same causes, and they will need to be looked at separately, hence the separate thread. 

sweetl wrote:

I too 65 years old and I always use my data before the end of the month.  I don't understand why but I am told it was due to downloading photos etc.  Once this contract ends I am definetly going back to using my hotspot. Each time I contact them it's always someone off shore.  I too have been told varying stories as to why it's slow.  I have a laptop and cell phone.  I don't use wifi on my cell anymore.