cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Re: Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Good morning bluesky636,

We inquired with engineering regarding service in your area and we're expecting additional detail, or at least something different than what we've told you so far. Regarding repointing, we can only repoint under engineering's recommendation. Currently a repoint from 33 to 68 is not suggested. I'll keep you posted once I have any new news to share from engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

If I have done this right, SatBeams shows that I am in the sweet spot for beam 33 on ES17 with an EIRP of 65dBW compared to 61 dBW for beam 68 on ES19.

https://www.satbeams.com/footprints?norad=38551

Is there a link budget calculator available from Hughesnet that would allow me to calulate the power level I should be seeing at my dish and then measure the actual value? Or is that something only available to engineering/technician level people? I am just curious.

Only the installers have the tools capable of determining which beam is best for your location, if you're in an area of overlap.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Thanks.

I don't know how to delete a complete post so I just deleted the text in the duplicates.

Sophomore

@Liz wrote:

Only the installers have the tools capable of determining which beam is best for your location, if you're in an area of overlap.

Too bad. That would be very useful information.

(Just figured out how to quote a post I am repsonding to)

Sophomore

@Liz wrote:

Good morning bluesky636,

We inquired with engineering regarding service in your area and we're expecting additional detail, or at least something different than what we've told you so far. Regarding repointing, we can only repoint under engineering's recommendation. Currently a repoint from 33 to 68 is not suggested. I'll keep you posted once I have any new news to share from engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

I anxiously await what they have to say.

Sophomore

@GabeU wrote:

@bluesky636 wrote:
What is considered a heavy load on the satellite? Rockbridge County, where I live has a population of just over 22,000. The nearest large city to me is Roanoke with a population of about 97,000. I doubt all of them are on Hughesnet. LOL

The ES19 satellite as a whole has a throughput of roughly 225Gpbs.  If you click on the link I gave for beam 68, you can see the footprint, which covers parts of three or four states.  Beam capacity varies.  Only a rep would know what might be considered a heavy load on any particular beam, and they're very unlikely to say.   

Beam 33 on the ES17 covers an even larger area, though the satellite itself only provides service, for the most part, to the eastern half of the country.  The ES17's throughput is roughly 100Gbps.

Curious as to how a satellite/beam is chosen when there is an overlap.

ES17 has an EIRP about 4 dBW greater than ES19 at my location, but only half the throughput. If the pointing decision is based solely on power level at the time of installation, that does not seem to be the optimum method.

Hi bluesky636,

Are you available next week for live troubleshooting with our corporate engineers? After my escalation, they're interested in your site. Please let me know some timeframes that work best for you so I can pass it along to engineering.

Thanks,
Liz

Sophomore

@Liz wrote:

Hi bluesky636,

Are you available next week for live troubleshooting with our corporate engineers? After my escalation, they're interested in your site. Please let me know some timeframes that work best for you so I can pass it along to engineering.

I should be home all day on the 4th, 5th, and 6th. Any time between 10 am and 5 pm would be fine.

But first, someone needs to explain these last two sets of results taken today. These are with the wi-fi connection turned on and the PC connected via hug5 and everything else on hug2. I was able to watch a couple of You Tube videos at 1040p with NO BUFFERING.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/bluesky636

Sophomore

Really interested in hearing the explanation for the last few speed tests using wi-fi. Was again able to watch You Tube videos at 1040p without buffering. Of course, it eats up my data allowance.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/bluesky636