cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

Sophomore

Re: Widely Varying and Slow Downlink Rates

@GabeU wrote:

What's been happening in the evenings since the 30th looks like peak usage time congestion.  

Yes. I would agree with that.

I spent an hour on the phone with several HN engineers running tests. They ran some tests of the system while nothing was happening and then we ran tests using different duration YouTube videos via wi-fi and hard wired, at different resolutions, and with Video Data Save on and off.

They will analyze all the data they collected today and want to schedule another test next week in the evening during peak usage. They promised me a full report which I plan on sharing here if possible. At this point there is no explanation as to why my downlink rates jumped from an average 0f 250Kbps to 2.5Mbs to 25+Mbs.

Sophomore

Several sites seemed to be running slow this morning so I ran a quick speed test (using wi-fi). Downlink was quite fast but uplink has slowed to a crawl from the past week.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/bluesky636

One thing that the engineers noticed yesterday was there was an "Amazon device" running off of wi-fi. I told them I had no "Amazon device". After some investigation, I discovered that the Amazon app on my phone (not the desk top version) was logged in and running. I searched for quite some time until I found the sign out link buried in Settings (I think that was it. I'll have to check next next time I buy something using my phone.). Anyway, it is probably a good idea to make sure that all phone apps are logged off when not in use to avoid them adding additional load and using data on your system.

Assistant Professor

Always kill the Twitter and Facebook apps, or (as you say) any app on your phone for that matter if you're not using them. On iPhones you can double click the home button and swipe the app up to kill it. I forget how to do it on Droids.

Can also turn off background updating to make sure it's not doing anything behind the scenes. Frankly, I only leave that on for some exercise apps (MyFitnessPal, RunKeeper, Wahoo, Fitbit, and Withings) because if I forget to turn it back on, the apps will die in mid-run. Not a good thing to happen if you obsess on tracking these things.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good morning bluesky636,

Happy to read that the troubleshooting session went well. I've also relayed your note about the Amazon app to the engineers who troubleshot with you. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

@Liz wrote:

Good morning bluesky636,

Happy to read that the troubleshooting session went well. I've also relayed your note about the Amazon app to the engineers who troubleshot with you. I'll post back once I have any news to share.

They are supposed to contact me to run some more tests during peak hours later this week.

Hi bluesky636,

Just following up on this, I spoke with Michelle who was on the call and got clarification that the engineers are going to review the data, and if needed, they will reach out to set up another call, but at peak time. Should I get any updates to share, I will let you know.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sophomore

Ok. Thanks. I was under the impression that they were definitely going to run a test during peak period, but if not, that's fine.

What I am really looking for is an honest answer as to what changed over the weeks since I first complained, not just "the satellite was broken and now its fixed:.
Sophomore

Quick speed test (w/wi-fi) looks good. Will run another tonight during "busy" period.

Still waiting to hear results from the engineering test last week.

Sophomore

Quite a drop in downlink speed from this morning. Took three tries to get uplink test to complete. Good thing I'mretired and can do most of what I need to do during the day.