Wifi disconnect every 30 seconds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diesel21
New Poster

Wifi disconnect every 30 seconds

Hoping to find a resulation to our problem. We just had hughesnet installed in our home last week, our laptop computer connects to the wifi great but our smart phones will not stay connected. Both my Samsung phone and my wife's IPhone constantly connect and disconnect from the wifi every 30 seconds or so. We have contacted technical support half a dozen times with no success resolving the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
arielgipson96
Freshman

Same issue, our was installed on the 11th and it was literally from moment Numero uno

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Diesel21 

Are your phones connected via the 5GHz band?  If so, and if you can, try connecting them to the 2.4GHz band to see if that makes any difference.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

We've tried both but it doesn't make a difference.

GabeU

@Diesel21 wrote:

We've tried both but it doesn't make a difference.

It's interesting that your laptop stays connected without issue, but the phones don't.  

Hopefully the reps will be able to help you.  They're on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually reply within a working day.  If you don't normally do so, please be sure to leave your modem plugged in on Monday so that they can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  They may need some personal information from you in order to locate your account, but they'll ask for it to be sent via private message, for which they'll provide a link.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro

Diesel21,

Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the Community! I'd love to take a look into this, but before we proceed, I'll need a bit more information. Please send you account number or a phone number attached to the account to this link! This will help us take a look into what's going on with your account!

Thanks,

Remy

This same thing has been happening to me. I thought it was because we got new phones. I kept trying to connect my shark vacuum to my my internet and it kept dropping in the middle of the link. Called Shark and Apple not on either of their end. Came here to see if you might be able to help. Shark is very specific about the needs to connect. No VPN, only 2.4ghz and must have this installed to fully utilize all the capabilities of the $$$$ we tossed out the window. I have a broken foot and my husband has 2 left hands and can't figure out how to use my upright vacuum but manages to somehow push my buttons!!! Hope you can figure this out our C'est la vie!!!

maratsade

It probably has a hard time handling the normal fluctuations of the satellite signal.   Terrestrial signals are more stable. 

Oma wrote:

I kept trying to connect my shark vacuum to my my internet and it kept dropping in the middle of the link. 

GabeU

@Oma 

Some smart devices don't get along well with the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet.  

Well that went right over my my head 😂

Could you please let me know what I need to do do to fix the issue so I can get mine up and running?.

maratsade

The first thing you need to do is you need to go back to the main Tech Support section and open your own ticket by clicking the blue button labeled Start a topic. Explain the issue and give as much detail as you can.  The reps here deal with one ticket per thread, so you need to open your own to get more help.

Second, the laws of physics that affect satellite internet can't be changed. Satellite internet doesn't play well with smart devices like your vacuum cleaner because signal comes from a satellite that's thousands of miles up above the Earth. That makes the signal slow and a little unstable, and it doesn't work well with some things. 

Chances are you won't be able to run your vacuum cleaner off of wifi properly or at all with satellite internet because of the way the signal works.  And if you can even get it to work, it might eat up a lot of your data, so you should consider that too. 

@Oma wrote:

Could you please let me know what I need to do do to fix the issue so I can get mine up and running?.

Hi Diesel21,

Our engineers are actively investigating this and are going to implement a change to your system. Please monitor the performance from now until tomorrow, then let me know if you notice any significant improvement. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi Diesel21,

It's been a while since we last heard from you and our engineers have since resolved this issue, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I tried both. Same issue.