Wifi will only connect to some websites

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lthum
Spectator

Wifi will only connect to some websites

Starting this morning, I am unable to connect with some websites, many of which I generally visit daily. I have tried clearing cookies, rebooting the modem and router as well as rebooting my computer. Any ideas on what might fix this would be greatly appreciated! 

14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lthum 

Are the websites timing out or giving you some kind of error?  

Can you list a couple of the websites?  

"This site can’t be reached

www.tumblr.com took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_TIMED_OUT"

The above is what shows when I try to access some sites, some just kind of half way load and then nothing. Some sites that I haven't been able to access are tumblr, yahoo mail, twitter, amazon, and cnn. I am able to do google searches, visit my local info sites, and weather.com.
GabeU

@lthum 

I tried those sites and they worked fine for me.  It's possible that there is a problem with a provider that is upstream from your gateway, especially with the way it's affecting multiple sites.   

I know that there's a way to tell by doing a traceroute to one or more of those sites, but I don't really know how to read the output traceroutes give.  Others on here do, though.  Hopefully they'll chime in.  As well, hopefully a rep will do the same and see if there is something they can do to remedy the situation.

When you rebooted the modem, if you did it via the System Control Center, I would try power cycling it, instead.  What I mean is, shut down your computer, then unplug the modem.  Wait for about a minute, then plug it back in.  Then wait about five minutes for it to be fully set and ready, and then start your computer and try going to those sites again. 

If that doesn't help, again, hopefully either a rep or someone else will have an idea.  Again, though, I have a suspicion that it's an upstream provider.  If that's the case, it should clear up soon, as problems like that usually do.

maratsade

I'd try a traceroute -- if there's trouble somewhere, that hop will have asterisks next to it.  Or it could also have a very high latency number (which in my experience the browser interprets it as the website timing out). 

tracert.png

I just tried this and I got 29 line of "no reply"

GabeU

@lthum 

What site did you run it on?  

I just tried tumblr and it gave this....

Capture.JPG

I did it through a chrome extension, because that's what a google search said to do with a chromebook. I am not very good with technology beyond surfing the web.

GabeU

@lthum wrote:

I did it through a chrome extension, because that's what a google search said to do with a chromebook. I am not very good with technology beyond surfing the web.

Ah.  I'm not familiar with Chrombooks, but like maratsade suggested, if it's giving you a no reply on one of the lines it means it's not able to communicate with one of the hosts.  This may very well be what's causing the issue.  Many sites will share a host along a route, so a problem can affect those sites. 

One of the reps might pop in to check to make sure everything is working as it should with your HughesNet service.  They aren't always on during the evenings, but they are sometimes.  I think @Damian may be on this evening, though I'm not positive of that.

maratsade

I've never done a tracert with a Chromebook, but found these instructions:

1. CTRL+ALT+T will open up the command prompt
  2. Type “ping webaddresshere.com” – replacing “webaddresshere.com” with the address or IP you want to ping
  3. Type “tracepath webaddresshere.com” – replacing “webaddresshere.com with the address or IP you want to traceroute.
  4. Obviously hit enter after typing in desired action (without quotes) and let it run!
  5. Type “exit” and press enter to go back to your normal Chromebook experience
maratsade

OK, I tried the tracert with a Chromebook and it worked for me. 

Ronald, 

Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry you are not able to access some of these websites.  It is true that normally, websites time-out due to very high latency or a severe reduction in speed. In your situation, I have confirmed you do have data left so your speeds are not being reduced. Your ping is high, however, it is not in an abnormal range for what you should be getting with satellite internet. As Gabe and maratsade have said, I do recommend running another traceroute on one of the other sites you are not able to connect to, following the steps posted. If you are met with another "no reply" message, this confirms there is an issue in communication between your location and the host. I will continue to monitor your equipment to make sure there are no errors missed on our side. Please monitor this on your side for the next few hours as well. If this issue is persistent, I will perform deeper troubleshooting. In the meantime, if you can, please power cycle your modem once more by unplugging it from the wall outlet for 30 seconds and waiting for it to fully come back on before power cycling your router the same way, in that order. Also, if your device has an ethernet port, please connect directly to your Hughes modem when attempting to access these sites. This is solely to rule out any possible interference or signal quality issues. Please update me with your results as soon as you can. 

-Damian 

Ronald,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns and the problem was not resolved on its own, please start a new thread and update us on your current status, after following the instructions posted in this thread. 

-Damian 

maratsade

So, that seems to indicate that there's a problem between your location and that server. 

lthum wrote:

I just tried this and I got 29 line of "no reply"

@lthum wrote:

Starting this morning, I am unable to connect with some websites, many of which I generally visit daily. I have tried clearing cookies, rebooting the modem and router as well as rebooting my computer. Any ideas on what might fix this would be greatly appreciated! 

I had a similar problem in June of last year.  I'm running Linux Mint as my OS,  and Firefox as my browser.  The error mesage was: 

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

After posting about it here, the problem went away with no intervention on my part, after about 3 days of not being able to reach certain sites.    Hopefully, the same the same thing will happen with you.