cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wildly Fast Download reported by HughesNet Speed test- no kidding

Highlighted
Junior

Wildly Fast Download reported by HughesNet Speed test- no kidding

Okay this can't be true, but it is pretty neat. The HughesNet speed test posted 200 to 331 Mbps in four of five runs. The lowest in a set of five was around 29 Mbps. I tested download speed using TestMyNet and consistently hit around 29 Mbps - and that was with a 200 meg download file.

29 Mbps is incredible no matter how you look at it, but over 200 seems like there might be a little glitch somewhere. But seriously, when running the HughesNet speed test the 16 meg file downloaded in less than five seconds.

My download speeds have been way past good for several months (< 18 Mbps). Don't know why, but I like it. uploads are around 1 Mbps or less and weirdly Ping Time is around 2561 ms - strange.
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Wildly Fast Download reported by HughesNet Speed test- no kidding

Yeah... It's know to glitch up on occasion, it's why so many still suggest to use the testmy.net website with an account there to track your history as it's incredibly reliable and accurate for satnet.
Highlighted

Crappy ping times are due to the fact that you are round tripping wit a satellite. This is latency. More problems are caused by latency issues than actual speed. If your target times out before the connection is established, you get a fail.

I've run speed tests quite a bit on this network. Two things are clear; the DL speeds vary wildly, even minute to minute. Latency issues break the test often.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Sad to say but the new speed test is pretty bad. Also eats a lot of data besides being slow as heck to complete.

Second the account at testmy.net is the best way to go and keep a history of tests. It can read high sometimes to but not that bad.
Highlighted
Junior

I figured that the reported times were a bit off, but what the heck it looks cool.

Still I have been having great performance for several months - weather permitting. I'm happy out here in the sticks with the service I'm getting. I am on the 50/50 GB plan, which is costly but I need the bandwidth and I do not have any other option.

I've been with Hughes since the telephone/satellite combo days and when people complain about not being able to watch streaming video it makes me smile.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I started at the introduction of the DW6000.

I have things buttoned down so tight I can't seem to "spend" more than about 6 GB or so out of my 50/50.

Highlighted

Hi newtonf!

Thanks for sharing, glad you're enjoying your service! The feedback in this thread is also helpful, I'll compile these posts for the devs.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.