cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be a difference in latency between Gen4 and Gen5?

Tutor

Will there be a difference in latency between Gen4 and Gen5?

Latency will always be an issue when using a satellite in geosynchronous orbit, but I was wondering if there will be any difference in latency with the new satellite? 
36 REPLIES
Teaching Assistant

Re: Will there be a difference in latency between Gen4 and Gen5?

You pranking us Jezra?

You've been around here long enough to know the answer I would think. No disrespect meant, I'm too blunt often. Kinda thought you understood quite a bit about the physics and limitations of geosynchronous satellite internet.

The legacy 7000 and 9000 systems have higher latency because of the old satellite technology and ground support systems.

Gen4 is about as good as it gets and most likely about the same with Gen5. Optimum conditions probably 600 ms. 

The Gen5 satellite is still 22.3 K miles out in space. Speed of light means it won't get much better.

If you are on 9000 system then yes as explained above. Apologize if I sound like a jerk.
Teaching Assistant

My latency right now on Gen4. If any difference on Gen5 it will be very small.

Hi jezra
There will be some  other factors that might change this, but I am assuming in the minimum 500ms area. Some Gen4 customers get that already. But as to an actual solid number I won't know until Alpha launches and we can start messing around in our lab. We'll probably be taking the call center courses, going to the engineering lectures and pouring over technical documents up until the official launch, so I'll be able to get more in-depth information as we go. Hopefully we can even get an engineer or two in here to do a Q&A

Thanks
Amanda
Tutor

Currently I'm on Gen4. Quite a bit of my work involved managing remote servers over the command-line. As it is, the latency causes quite a bit of frustration, and if there were to be an increase of 15-20ms with Gen5 then I would have to seriously consider not upgrading. 
Teaching Assistant

Ah, I see why you asked then. From the sound of what Amanda posted there could be that much of an improvement. Of course I'd bet it is going to vary a bit between locations and gateways just like Gen 4.

Sorry my jerk side came out a bit in reply. Smiley Happy
Teaching Assistant

Right now I don't think you can trust anything with all the network finagling that is going on with Gen5 being folded into may of the Gateways.

I just ran three connectivity tests and all three were poor:

System feels a little sluggish in the last hour.

Sig strength is 104 (good for west Michigan), partly sunny and no error codes in the last 12 hours and that was only a 13.1.1

The Gremlins are afoot and they are chewing on the Gateway wires.

Just ran a test on an alpha unit in the lab and seems about the same as Jupiter 1. Also consider packet delivery might cause inconsistency too...

What kind of delay are you seeing to your remote work or is 1k just very obvious?
Tutor

I tend to average around 850ms, but the stormy weather in my area is making an accurate reading almost impossible. 
Instructor

Didn't think one could say Alpha Smiley Tongue
Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB - Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | 2x Intel Gigabit NIC | IBM M5015 | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 8x WD RE 4TB disks - http://chucksbasix.com