cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 computers connected via ethernet can now be changed to Metered Connection.

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Win 10 computers connected via ethernet can now be changed to Metered Connection.

So I may be slow to be discovering this, but after exploring my Windows Settings after this latest Windows Update (last month) I discovered that we can now set up our 'Ethernet' connected computers (meaning those of us who's desktop computers are directly connected to our HughesNet modems using an ethernet cable) as a METERED connection.

By changing the settings to a metered connection, (something that used to be only available to those people who were connected via router and using wifi) those large Cumulative Window 10 Updates or any updates for that matter, will no longer 'automatically' download like they have been doing in the past. We now have control over when to download and install these updates.

(Microsoft has finally come to their senses Smiley LOL)

Again, I may be slow in learning this, but I was never able to do this before because I wasn't using a router. I've always been connected right to our Hughesnet modem via an ethernet cable.

For those of you who don't know how to switch to a metered connection I took the liberty of providing some step by step instructions, inclduing a few screen shots.

firstly, you will want to access your Windows 10 Settings..

1.png

Once you have located the Windows Settings, you will click on Network & Internet Icon

2.png

Next, you will click on the Ethernet Icon listed in the left hand column as shown below

3.png

You will then click on the Connected Network that is displayed at the top

(my own network is called Network 7, your may be named something different)

4.png

Next, you will click on the Metered Connections Icon to turn it on. (see second screen shot below)

5.png

it will now look like this below..

6.png

If you wish, you can also go back to the main Network & Internet screen, click on WiFi (left hand column) and change your wifi settings to a metered connection too. Simply click on Manage Known Networks, find or add your wifi network, and set the connection as metered.

9.png

Now, when your computer searches for and finds any Window Updates, (you can also manually check for updates at any time) instead of those updates automatically downloading onto your computer, you will simply see a list of those updates and you can then download them at your discretion.

If you want to save your data, it would be advisable to download these updates (especially the larger files) during your Bonus Zone (2am - 8am)

7.png

8.png

If nothing else, at least now, when those massive Window 10 Updates become available, I can choose when to download them MYSELF rather than them downloading automatically like they have been doing in the past. I will personally be downloading these early in the morning, during my Bonus Zone (50 GBs) so that I can keep my Service Plan Data (10 GBs) is not affected.

While I was at it, I also went ahead and set up my 'wifi' as a metered connection too.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Win 10 computers connected via ethernet can now be changed to Metered Connection.

Gotta say what a convoluted mess and glad I'm staying with 8.1 Pro until total support ends. Thanks for sharing and hope it helps the other poor souls on 10.

Linux is my future once 8.1 dies.

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor

Re: Win 10 computers connected via ethernet can now be changed to Metered Connection.

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they decided to 'automatically' download these Window 10 Updates onto folks computers and take away, what was once, our right as consumers to choose which updates to download and install and which ones we wanted to simply ignore..

Obviously, when they first initiated these new rules, they weren't taking into consideration those of us that DO have monthly data caps, regardless of whether we are connected via an Ethernet cable or indirectly via another source/device such as a router to use that data.....that, or they simply didn't care at the time.

I'm pretty sure these new recent Window settings (within this past month or so) came as a result of Microsoft being bombarded with complaints with regards to these massive, monthly automatic downloads that have been occurring. Even those people who do have the luxury of 'unlimited' internet access still, at some point, (after so much data has been used) experience a throttle of some sort. For example, Verizon throttles their 'unlimited' data after 22GB...

I'm certainly relieved to see that we, as the consumer, have some control back with regards to actually downloading these updates at our own discretion.

Hopefully, as the word spreads that those of us who are connected via Ethernet can now indeed set up a Metered Connection, this may very well ease up on some of the customer complaints that HughesNet and other Satellite providers receive on a daily basis with regards to massive chunks of their data mysteriously disappearing each month as often times, the 'missing' data is a direct result of a Windows Update that has automatically downloaded...

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

I tried the metered setting but didn't care for it.  My antivirus software would not update while the computer was set to metered.  I thought it was more trouble than it was worth, to be honest.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

There's also the option to pause updates on Pro or better versions of Windows 10 since the Creators Update.  Whether this actually pauses them from being downloaded, or just installed, I don't know.  

With that said, I've never been bothered by the updates, and I always know when the large ones are coming before they arrive, but, I can see how, at least for some, the option to control whether updates are downloaded can be an advantage, especially when one has nearly exhausted their data allotment and the updates could push them past the limit.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I came to the conclusion that Win10 was more trouble than it was worth Smiley Happy

I think I have a copy around on a spare drive somewhere. I have a couple of Win7's in use. A number of other drives have been changed over to Mint.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I came to the conclusion that Win10 was more trouble than it was worth Smiley Happy

I think I have a copy around on a spare drive somewhere. I have a couple of Win7's in use. A number of other drives have been changed over to Mint.

Personally, I think it gets more of a bad rap than it deserves, but I don't delve into everything it can do and only use it in it's most basic form.  I'm sure if I did use it more "deeply" than I do I would find things about it that I don't particularly like.  

As for Mint, that only gets a thumbs up from me.  I like it quite a bit, and if I decided to move away from Windows it's to Linux Mint I would go.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Junior

I am a user of the metered connection hack to control the timing of my update downloads.  Please be aware that Microsoft Office updates won't happen when you have metered connection set.  Office detects that updates are available and reminds you of that fact.  However, when you go through the series of prompts to actually get the update to download the download will silently fail.  This is despite the fact that it detects you have 'metered connection' set and verifies that you would like to override it for the purpose of the download.  I found that in order to get the update I needed to temporarily disable the metered connection setting.  I spent quite a number of cycles trying to figure out why the Office update would not complete.