Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

Over two and a half hours and this is where I still am on this desktop.  Ugh.  I still think it could be related to the latency.  Hughesnet speed is ample.  I'm sure the fact that everyone and their brother, and their long lost cousin Rufus, are downloading the same today doesn't help.  

Capture.JPG

21 REPLIES 21
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hey, leave cousin Rufus out of it, he has enough problems. Smiley Tongue

GabeU

Six and a half hours in...

Capture.JPG

And, according to my Hughesnet meter, I've used about 250MB, but have a look at Glasswire...

Capture1.JPG

motobojo
Junior

One approach that I've found helpful in dealing with Windows updates (on Win10) is to NOT use Windows Update for the actual download.  It is more prone to hanging than using the following approach.  By the way the following approach is handy if you have multiple systems to update as well as you can download the updates and copy them to all the systems you need to update.  Here's the steps I've used:

Do NOT use Windows update, instead use Microsoft Update Catalog

0. Let Windows Update notify you of update packages that need to be installed. Note them.
1. Open Internet Explorer (Win-R > iexplorer.exe)
2. Navigate to: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx
3. Select the update packages noted in (0) above.
4. View basket and download (during off-peak time or on a mobile device / laptop using an un-metered internet connection).

5. Install the updated packages on all the systems you have.

I've found that Microsoft Update Catalog is less prone to hanging (though not entirely immune), but if I recall correctly I believe you can restart a download if it fails, while Windows Update tends to restart from the beginning.  One other short-coming of Microsoft Update Catalog is that it may take a day or two for new updates to be available via Catalog.  

I plan to get the latest updates tonight during off-peak hours.  Fingers crossed. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I second EVERYTHING that motobojo said...  If you don't have a way to use WSUS, then I strongly urge you to use the catalog for any updates that may seem to be taking too long or are hanging.  Just be aware, downloading a culmulative update on the catalog can eat a good bit more data than letting a machine try to do the update it self.  A culmulative update may be ~1GB in size, but your computer may only need to download a tenth of that to be able to update to that revision.  So I would use the catalog only if the update keeps hanging up.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Rufus runs Linux Mint.

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Rufus runs Linux Mint.

That's because Rufus is, like, totally cool.

Good point, C0RR0SIVE.  I was able to use the method I described the other night.  The download for the three packages:

• Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB4014329)
  • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429
  • Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013418)

amounted to ~1.1Gb.  I was able to copy it over to my Win10 tablet and reuse it.  How much bandwidth would I have used through Windows Update?  Dunno.  It all depends how many failed attempts I would have had to try, and how much would have been chewed up in each attempt.  An unfortunate crapshoot.

Some added notes on the method I described above:

• Sometimes the Download Dialogue page opens but doesn't populate. In those cases I just kill the pop-up, go back to the Cart page and restart the download.  Repeat as necessary.
  • I've found that it is best to use Windows Update for Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool updates. While you can find the update package in Catalog, I've found the install of the package doesn't work.
  • It can take Windows Update a little while to FULLY realize you have applied the updates.  While the status of the updates will show up in your update history right away, Windows may still encourage you to download and install the updates you've already installed.  Assuming, you've set your system to NOT automatically download and install the updates you can just ignore these requests and Windows will eventually figure out you've successfully installed the updates.  If you are impatient with that you can explore options to perform a Windows Update reset. I recommend patience though as the reset removes your update history.

I wish it weren't such a pain. Maybe Microsoft will improve things someday.  One can hope.

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I second EVERYTHING that motobojo said...  If you don't have a way to use WSUS, then I strongly urge you to use the catalog for any updates that may seem to be taking too long or are hanging.  Just be aware, downloading a culmulative update on the catalog can eat a good bit more data than letting a machine try to do the update it self.  A culmulative update may be ~1GB in size, but your computer may only need to download a tenth of that to be able to update to that revision.  So I would use the catalog only if the update keeps hanging up.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

For me, it's not that the update is hanging when installing, but downloading, and I when I have had this problem in the past, it doesn't matter if it's downloading the updates through Windows Update, or through the Update Catalog, as either one is painfully slow.  It's the servers.  And, of course, when having this problem, if I downloaded the update through the catalog update, it would take painfully longer than it already does due to what you mention in your last two sentences.  At the speed I was downloading it, it could have very well taken a day, or even two, to download the files through the Update Catalog rather than the seven hours it did take.  

With that said, I think it was most likely because of the numerous people doing the same at the same time.  I'll wait for a few days to update my Windows 10 laptop to see how long it takes, but it would not at all suprise me if that downloads the updates at a MUCH quicker pace.

I don't know if it's my beam or my gateway that makes the Microsoft servers so sensitive when they are busy, but whatever it is, it's annoying.  My stepfather, on the same beam and gateway, deals with the same problem.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Same thing here on 8.1. Been stuck at 38% for latest updates trying numerous times since Tuesday.

EDIT: Oh boy, just jumped to 39% after about 15 minutes.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Same thing here on 8.1. Been stuck at 38% for latest updates trying numerous times since Tuesday.

Eek!  And I was just now thinking about at least getting out my W8.1 notebook to try to update it.  Perhaps I'll wait a few more days.  

I know that my overall speeds have been somewhat diminished over the last couple of weeks, but it still shouldn't have THIS kind of effect on updates.  

Perhaps I'll give it a try, anyway.  At least with the Windows 8.1 updates I can just shut the notebook down if it's taking too long and I don't feel like waiting as it's not my normally used computer. 

GabeU

Well, the updates for my Windows 8.1 notebook were 251.5MB, which Glasswire pretty much agreed with.  They only took about ten minutes to download, then another few to install.  

It's interesting that at times when I am having problems with Windows updates, others are not, and when I am not, others are.

I hope yours doesn't take too much longer, BirdDog.  Fifteen minutes to move one percent is ridiculous.  

It's the Gremlins!!!  

I think I'm going to get out my laptop and try my Windows 10 updates on that.  I hope it goes like my 8.1 updates did.  

GabeU

Well, my laptop's Windows 10 Pro updates, which amounted to about 200MB or so, took between 30 and 35 minutes to download.  

I would have simply edited my two previous posts with this info, but with the one hour time limit for edits, it made this impossible.  A little ridiculous, in my opinion.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Disabled Web Acceleration and all went fast. So at least in my case something has changed between it and MS servers communicating well. At least now I know to simply disable it when updating.

GabeU

I've tried disabling web acceleration when I've had the problem in the past, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  With that said, though, I know that problems that seem similar can be caused by different things and may be resolved with different solutions.  I've seen it mentioned where disabling web acceleration has helped others dealing with similar issues, as well.  

GW
Advanced Tutor

Windows Update finally took revenge on me. I decided to do the updates on one W7 and two W10 computers this morning. I started about 6:50

I launched the waiting updates (2) for the W7 and then I took the W10 computers off metered connection and set them off.

The first W10 downloaded and completed rather quickly. The other one hung on 95% and that was the end of it. I eventually stopped the operation. I checked the update history and found 21 failures of every update file. I restarted the procedure and it took another few hours to update but it finally finished around 1 PM.

The W7 update was a disaster with repeated failures. I had to babysit this one from 7 AM until nearly 11:30. It did the malicious software update just fine but choked on the rollup file. The history shows 5 failures.

In total, I used 132 MB of data so far today which included all my usual work, researching a load of W7 update error codes and downloading the W7 update.diag tool several times as well as eventually succeeding at updating three computers.

GW
Advanced Tutor

Windows Update finally took revenge on me. I decided to do the updates on one W7 and two W10 computers this morning. I started about 6:50

I launched the waiting updates (2) for the W7 and then I took the W10 computers off metered connection and set them off.

The first W10 downloaded and completed rather quickly. The other one hung on 95% and that was the end of it. I eventually stopped the operation. I checked the update history and found 21 failures of every update file. I restarted the procedure and it took another few hours to update but it finally finished around 1 PM.

The W7 update was a disaster with repeated failures. I had to babysit this one from 7 AM until nearly 11:30. It did the malicious software update just fine but choked on the rollup file. The history shows 5 failures.

In total, I used 132 MB of data so far today which included all my usual work, researching a load of W7 update error codes and downloading the W7 update.diag tool several times as well as eventually succeeding at updating three computers.

GW
Advanced Tutor

The first W10 downloaded and completed rather quickly. The other one hung on 95% and that was the end of it. I eventually stopped the operation. The update history showed 21 failures of every update file. I restarted the procedure and it took another few hours to update but it finally finished around 1 PM.

GabeU

It's good that you were finally able to get everything updated, but it's too bad that it took so long and was such a pain.  This seems to be more the norm than the exception lately.  

I had a Windows 10 update file on either my desktop or laptop that ended up getting in a failure loop and was sucking up my bandwidth.  I didn't realize until the second day of it doing this, as I looked at my data and knew something wasn't right.  I don't remember what the file was, nor which computer, but I do remember that it failed well over two dozen times, downloading each time it tried to install again.  

I finally found a fix on Microsoft's community which had me uninstall a past update, manually download the problem update and install it, then reinstall the update I had uninstalled.  It worked, thankfully.  

I hope that the new Unified Platform Update method goes smoothly.  The last thing any of use needs is MORE problems with Windows Update.  😛

GabeU

Oh, joy.  I brought out my Windows 8.1 notebook to check the Token problem with the Status Meter.  I decided to check for updates (it's been a little while for the notebook) and found two, amounting to 241.7MBs.  Sixty two minutes in and it's downloaded a whopping 26.9MBs, and is at 11%.  Ugh.  

Tomorrow is Gen5 install day.  I'm going to leave my laptop, which I know needs the latest W10 cumulative update, until after the installation to see if there is any difference.

Edit:  Two hours and fifty minutes later and it's finished, but it turns out that it was only 66.1MB, not 241.7MB.  So, 2:50 for 66MB.  Sheesh!!!   

Did the Gen 5 upgrade solve your Windows update problem? I am having the same type problem and was thinking about upgrading.