cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

@BirdDog wrote:

Same thing here on 8.1. Been stuck at 38% for latest updates trying numerous times since Tuesday.

Eek!  And I was just now thinking about at least getting out my W8.1 notebook to try to update it.  Perhaps I'll wait a few more days.  

I know that my overall speeds have been somewhat diminished over the last couple of weeks, but it still shouldn't have THIS kind of effect on updates.  

Perhaps I'll give it a try, anyway.  At least with the Windows 8.1 updates I can just shut the notebook down if it's taking too long and I don't feel like waiting as it's not my normally used computer. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Well, the updates for my Windows 8.1 notebook were 251.5MB, which Glasswire pretty much agreed with.  They only took about ten minutes to download, then another few to install.  

It's interesting that at times when I am having problems with Windows updates, others are not, and when I am not, others are.

I hope yours doesn't take too much longer, BirdDog.  Fifteen minutes to move one percent is ridiculous.  

It's the Gremlins!!!  

I think I'm going to get out my laptop and try my Windows 10 updates on that.  I hope it goes like my 8.1 updates did.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Well, my laptop's Windows 10 Pro updates, which amounted to about 200MB or so, took between 30 and 35 minutes to download.  

I would have simply edited my two previous posts with this info, but with the one hour time limit for edits, it made this impossible.  A little ridiculous, in my opinion.   

Assistant Professor

Disabled Web Acceleration and all went fast. So at least in my case something has changed between it and MS servers communicating well. At least now I know to simply disable it when updating.

I've tried disabling web acceleration when I've had the problem in the past, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  With that said, though, I know that problems that seem similar can be caused by different things and may be resolved with different solutions.  I've seen it mentioned where disabling web acceleration has helped others dealing with similar issues, as well.  

Tutor

Windows Update finally took revenge on me. I decided to do the updates on one W7 and two W10 computers this morning. I started about 6:50

I launched the waiting updates (2) for the W7 and then I took the W10 computers off metered connection and set them off.

The first W10 downloaded and completed rather quickly. The other one hung on 95% and that was the end of it. I eventually stopped the operation. I checked the update history and found 21 failures of every update file. I restarted the procedure and it took another few hours to update but it finally finished around 1 PM.

The W7 update was a disaster with repeated failures. I had to babysit this one from 7 AM until nearly 11:30. It did the malicious software update just fine but choked on the rollup file. The history shows 5 failures.

In total, I used 132 MB of data so far today which included all my usual work, researching a load of W7 update error codes and downloading the W7 update.diag tool several times as well as eventually succeeding at updating three computers.

Tutor

Windows Update finally took revenge on me. I decided to do the updates on one W7 and two W10 computers this morning. I started about 6:50

I launched the waiting updates (2) for the W7 and then I took the W10 computers off metered connection and set them off.

The first W10 downloaded and completed rather quickly. The other one hung on 95% and that was the end of it. I eventually stopped the operation. I checked the update history and found 21 failures of every update file. I restarted the procedure and it took another few hours to update but it finally finished around 1 PM.

The W7 update was a disaster with repeated failures. I had to babysit this one from 7 AM until nearly 11:30. It did the malicious software update just fine but choked on the rollup file. The history shows 5 failures.

In total, I used 132 MB of data so far today which included all my usual work, researching a load of W7 update error codes and downloading the W7 update.diag tool several times as well as eventually succeeding at updating three computers.

Tutor

The first W10 downloaded and completed rather quickly. The other one hung on 95% and that was the end of it. I eventually stopped the operation. The update history showed 21 failures of every update file. I restarted the procedure and it took another few hours to update but it finally finished around 1 PM.

It's good that you were finally able to get everything updated, but it's too bad that it took so long and was such a pain.  This seems to be more the norm than the exception lately.  

I had a Windows 10 update file on either my desktop or laptop that ended up getting in a failure loop and was sucking up my bandwidth.  I didn't realize until the second day of it doing this, as I looked at my data and knew something wasn't right.  I don't remember what the file was, nor which computer, but I do remember that it failed well over two dozen times, downloading each time it tried to install again.  

I finally found a fix on Microsoft's community which had me uninstall a past update, manually download the problem update and install it, then reinstall the update I had uninstalled.  It worked, thankfully.  

I hope that the new Unified Platform Update method goes smoothly.  The last thing any of use needs is MORE problems with Windows Update.  Smiley Tongue

Oh, joy.  I brought out my Windows 8.1 notebook to check the Token problem with the Status Meter.  I decided to check for updates (it's been a little while for the notebook) and found two, amounting to 241.7MBs.  Sixty two minutes in and it's downloaded a whopping 26.9MBs, and is at 11%.  Ugh.  

Tomorrow is Gen5 install day.  I'm going to leave my laptop, which I know needs the latest W10 cumulative update, until after the installation to see if there is any difference.

Edit:  Two hours and fifty minutes later and it's finished, but it turns out that it was only 66.1MB, not 241.7MB.  So, 2:50 for 66MB.  Sheesh!!!