cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 data monitor < HughesNet monitor

New Poster

Windows 10 data monitor < HughesNet monitor

Kept using up my 10 GB of data way too early each month. Turned off all the auto updating and syncing in Windows 10. Started monitoring data usage by app using the Windows 10 data monitor. When Hughes said I reached my limit of 10 GB, Windows data monitor showed only about 7 GB used. Is there data being used somewhere that isn't monitored by Windows 10? If not, then Windows 10 and Hughes should show about the same usage. Any others with this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Windows 10 data monitor < HughesNet monitor

I'm not sure how accurate Windows 10's data monitoring is.  Most (that frequent this site, at least) who monitor their Windows data usage use either a 3rd party router with data monitoring capabilities or a program called Glasswire.  Glasswire is free and fairly easy to use.  It will monitor the data usage of each and every program/app that uses data on your computer, telling you just how much data those programs/apps are using.  You can break it down by month, week, days, day, and even hours.   You can also isolate each program, like Chrome, to see where the data it's using is coming from (either its IP address or URL).  You can also see download and upload, and even look at just one or the other. 

It's here, if you want to use it...   https://www.glasswire.com/   It starts off as a trial version, but after so many days (15?) it reverts to the free version, which is fine for our data monitoring purposes.   

Are you absolutely sure that you have no WiFi devices connected to Hughesnet, whether using the HT2000W modem's built in WiFi or your own 3rd party router's WiFi, that could be using data?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I'm positive there's no wifi connected. The only thing I have is a cell and I have the wifi disabled. I'll give glasswire a try. Thanks.

Associate Professor

The drawback to the Win10 Data monitor is that it monitors EVERYTHING on the network connection you use, not all of that data ever makes it outside of your network, which is where Hughesnet counts data, this means anything else that could be on your network wouldn't be counted by your computer, but could be counted by the ISP.

For instance, right now my Win10 Data Usage shows as 80GB, however, if I look at my monthly stats in my router, my machine alone is only about 30GB.

One last thing to take into account is how usage is, there are two distinct ways to count data, and both give very different results.