cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 update and being throttled is okay

Junior

Windows 10 update and being throttled is okay

Just an FIY, I am throttled (thanks, lousy draconian FAP), and am downloading the Anniversary Windows 10 Update with very little problem, averaging 400kbps.  Not full speed but hardly a snail pace either.

Don't know if the update isn't being recognized as streaming data, or if HughesNet set an exception, or what.

But if you're throttled, don't be afraid of downloading the update.  In fact, go ahead and do it!  This way the update won't eat into your data cap.  (Lousy, draconian FAP.)

To manually start the update, go to Settings-> Update & Security, then click on Check for Updates.

The update is being rolled out rather than Everyone At Once, so you'll have to manually start it this way if you want to ensure you get it while throttled.
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Windows 10 update and being throttled is okay

Well I wasn't throttled and lost 9GB of data because of Windows Update! It used 84Mb today and there wasn't any updates!
Junior

Finished update.  Took about 4 hours to download when throttled.  All in all, not bad.
Distinguished Professor IV

lighthope,

Does your account have Smart Browsing (some don't)?  Of course, normally Smart Browsing isn't this fast when downloading a large file, but it may just like you.  LOL. 

I had to manually update my laptop due to the Anniversary Update not working through Windows Update, but I know that they are staging it, with newer computers receiving the update before older ones. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Just as i promised...  I $hit canned windows and went Linux Mint 18 Sarah MATE.  LOVING this Distro.  Computer is fast, and my biggest update so far.  200mb.  ;-)

Just saying..

P.S.  I'm also lucky enough to take a USB Thumb drive into work and download big things like the Linux Distro on their fast Internet so that i don't eat my data.  Right now however, and carrying into Bonus Bytes, i have to update my X-Plane Simulator as that doesn't offer a download-able update (Have to update while connected to the Internet from the same computer it is installed on).
Associate Professor

Highlighted

Ugh, disabling WD and going to Avast!
Associate Professor

Assistant Professor

Consider Comodo also. It's US based which is a plus in my book.
Distinguished Professor IV

You may also want to consider disabling SmartScreen as well then.

Does SmartScreen use a lot of data, "a lot" being relative?   

I use Webroot.  It used 150MB last month, but there was a program update.  I think it normally uses less.  Used to use Avast, but I needed something more amenable for my folks' dialup PC, and it was $1 more for three computers versus one computer, so I have Webroot on two of mine.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit