cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 update and being throttled is okay

Junior

Re: Windows 10 update and being throttled is okay

I use Comodo without any problems.  Had it for years.
Junior

I had Smart Browsing.  Perhaps because the update is sent in chunks rather than a steady stream it thinks it is a lot of little downloads rather than a large stream of data like a video.
Associate Professor

SmartScreen is a cloudy application that checks against a database for known potentially malicious programs and alerts/blocks them from running unless you go through a small hoop or two.
Distinguished Professor IV

CORROSIVE,

I know what it does, and it has blocked a few programs here and there for me, so I actually like it.  It's probably saved me from some headaches, but that I'll never know, thankfully.  I just didn't know if your comment about disabling it was due to it using a somewhat substantial amount of data, substantial amount being relative, of course, or if it was due to a possible conflict when using Avast.  I know some programs/apps don't play well together.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning lighthope,

Thanks for posting and putting a positive spin on being subject to the Fair Access Policy! Good to know that the Windows 10 update could be downloaded under those conditions.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

I did my Win 10 Anniversary Update at 4AM and it still took 4 hours. I also have my Registry set to Metered Ethernet so was missing a lot of small updates when I first checked status. Strange that Windows Update now shows no history except for some other apps like Office, which I have to go to uninstall Updates to see.

deepdiver,

I believe the Anniversary Update is like when you upgrade, say from 7 to 8 or 8.1 to 10.  It keeps your files but installs a new OS, for the most part, so you wouldn't see any past Windows updates. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

SmartScreen shouldn't have any compatibility issues with any antivirus a user uses as it only does checks on files being loaded into memory to see if the information matches or doesn't match the database.  If it matches known good, it goes on, if it matches known bad, it alerts the user, if there isn't a match it also alerts the user.  Like if the status meter updated to 6.7 and M$ doesn't know, they could throw 6.7 as potentially harmful since it doesn't match the 6.5 information for known good.  Aside from that it does no actual scanning or removal of anything AFAIK.

Ah.  I guess I'm still a little lost as to the advice to shut off SmartScreen if disabling WD and going to Avast.  I just didn't understand why you would give that advice.  Perhaps I'm just not seeing it and eventually will.   

Associate Professor

Because the user hates the idea of WD updating through out the day, where as something that almost goes hand in hand with WD is consistently talking to M$ about running applications and checking databases if it sees something new on a machine.  I just find it ironic someone would disable one thing, but not the other. Smiley Happy