cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows, Apple, and Linux updates always use bonus bytes

Windows, Apple, and Linux updates always use bonus bytes

Windows, Apple, and Linux updates should always be counted on our Bonus Bytes. Aside from Patch Tuesday, and maybe not even then, I don't see when it could cause a network slowdown, and would benefit us greatly if we have to, say, reinstall Windows. We wouldn't have to use a big chunk of our Anytime data just to get updates or spend several nights just getting it up to date so we can use it again. This is especially true of Windows 7 and 8 where updating is required before the service pack or Windows 8.1 can be downloaded, and then there's even more updates on top of that.
6 REPLIES 6
Associate Professor

Re: Windows, Apple, and Linux updates always use bonus bytes

Hmm, if you was to go from the BASE install of Win7 X64 Ult, and patched it upto today, that would be about 6GB of data, depending on the computer configuration overall.  Apple updates?  Those are even larger.  When every customer has multiple windows computers, multiple apple devices, it can be a super-massive impact.  To top it off, it's impossible to track down every *Nix distro update server to add it to a white-list.  Hughesnet doesn't even add their own websites to white lists.

With Windows all you need to do is set the auto updates for the bonus time.  Not sure but think the same for Apple's OSx.  As for Linux all I do is select the level 1 and 2 updates which are normally under 100 meg.  If they are to large I just download and install while my breakfast is cooking.

If you keep a good system image and backup with Windows 7 then the downloads needed for a complete reinstall are minimal.

Sorry I meant to post this privately.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting. No worries, sometimes it can be refreshing to get input from other subscribers like you. Smiley Happy We also would recommend using the option to schedule your updates (if available) during the Bonus Bytes period to save your Anytime Bytes. Feel free to post back if you have additional concerns.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I know I had to refresh my tablet last week, and before I caught it it sucked up all 4gb of Anytime data I had left and had to run on tokens the rest of the month, as well as I had to get up at about 3AM for a week to download updates, then another update set, then windows 8.1, and then another update set. That was not fun.
Assistant Professor

Anything portable, I go to the library or other free hotspot to download major changes/updates if I don't want to do it in the middle of the night (Bonus Time).

Luckily all my stuff is portable, no desktop PC.