cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows updates with Gen5 (vs Gen4)....

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Windows updates with Gen5 (vs Gen4)....

I can now say, after today's Windows 10 updates, that Windows updates with Gen5 are MUCH better than they were with Gen4.  The three that were done today were all downloaded in less than a minute, which was practically unheard of for me with Gen4.  Sometimes it would take hours upon hours to download similar updates when I had Gen4, but since upgrading to Gen5 at the end of March, ALL of my Windows updates have been speedy.

I suspect that it has to do with congestion, which ES19 has practically none of.  The speed was there with Gen4 on the ES17, but there was definitely congestion, which could be seen on the graphs of my speed tests.  They graph lines looked like jagged mountains, up and down and up and down.  With Gen5 the lines are very smooth.  And let me reiterate that I only suspect that this was the issue, but I don't know for sure.  As I said, the speed was almost always there, and the latency was about the same.  The only thing I can find that is noticeably different is the "steadiness" of the signal, as is evidenced in the graph lines.  

I know this isn't a tech problem, so I don't know if this is the appropriate category to put this under, but I just wanted to let people know, especially those aware of my Windows update problems.  

Gen4...

Capture1.JPG

Gen5....

Capture2.JPG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Windows updates with Gen5 (vs Gen4)....

Good to hear they're working for you, Gabe!  My experience with Windows 10 updates has been that they are slow no matter where they happen. Smiley Happy

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maratsade

It's interesting that it didn't help you in the same way.  Maybe Microsoft just doesn't like you.  LOL.  Smiley Very Happy

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

@GabeU wrote:

@maratsade

It's interesting that it didn't help you in the same way.  Maybe Microsoft just doesn't like you.  LOL.  Smiley Very Happy

I need to mark your post as the solution, Gabe. LOL