cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bb2
Freshman

Windows was unable to connect to hug5g877362

I'm running Windows 7. My 

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller network card has driver version 7.67.1226.2012, which from what I can tell is the updated driver for this card.

My problem is that I have two listed connections when I click on the "internet access" button (lower right). One is listed as "hug2g877362" the other is listed as "other network". It used to say hug5g877362. I was told at the time of installation that the gen 2 was wireless and the gen 5 was the ethernet cable. And that I should connect my computer to the gen 5 as it is connected directly to the router. My computer is also wireless, but I believe the ethernet connection gives a faster connection so I would prefer that. When I try connecting to the "other network" it asks for the name of it which I put in as hug5g877362 and then asks for password. It comes back with Windows was unable to connect to hug5g877362 and the network goes back to being listed as "other network". Any advice or letting me know if my thinking is not as it should be would be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bb2

hug2xxxx is the 2.4GHz WiFi connection.  hug5xxxx is the 5GHz WiFi connection.  They're both WiFi connections.  When you connect via Ethernet cable it should either connect automatically to the HT2000W modem, or it should take you through a connection setup process.  It's been a long time since I connected with Windows 7, so I can't remember exactly what it says, but the Ethernet connection will say something like "Network" or something similar.  It may not show any description that indicates that you are connecting with a HughesNet product and may just be a generic connection name.  

Again, the hug2xxx and hug5xxx connections are WiFi connections.  The "Other" network is most likely something that your computer's WiFi is seeing, like maybe the WiFi on a Blu Ray player or your TV or something like that.  There is a "Hidden" WiFi network with the HT2000W modem, but it's for a HughesNet brand WiFi booster and you can't connect to it with anything other than that booster.  When you connect to the HT2000W via Ethernet cable you won't need to enter any password.  

I would search for Windows 7 connection instructions for your model of computer, or search for generic Windows 7 Ethernet/LAN cable connection instructions.  There are various instruction videos for a Windows 7 LAN connection on Youtube, as well.  

Perhaps someone still using Windows 7 and the HT2000W will have a better idea of how to help you manually connect.  

Amanda

Good morning bb2,

The information provided by GabeU is correct. To add to that, the 2.4GHz (hug2) has a longer signal range than the 5GHz (hug5) but the 5GHz offers better performance. Older devices cannot connect to the 5GHz, or even detect it, if they do not support it. 

What you describe has me a little confused - are you trying to connect using an ethernet cable or wirelessly? If using an ethernet, you would not need to select any networks on your computer as it should be picked up automatically. If the computer has previously been able to connect to 'hug5', I'd recommend moving it closer to the HughesNet Wi-Fi Modem and trying again. Otherwise, it would be helpful to know the computer model so we can check if it is 5GHz compatible. 

Thanks,

Amanda

Hewlett Packard Pavilion 500-314 PC
Model Number: 500-314

Control Panel tells me I'm running Window 7 Home Premium, but the side of the computer tells me it is Windows 8, hmmmmmm

Home Network in the Network and Sharing Center shows hug2g.

Adapter settings for both my

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and

Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Shows the hug2g.

I can connect both wirelessly and thru the ethernet cable, but neither one is the hug5g.

My computer is right next to the router/modem as it has been since install which was about 1 month ago. At that time I had the hug5g on my Realtek and the hug2g on the Qualcomm.

This is the only device here that can connect to the internet. Nor any blue Ray, cell phone, Refrigerator or Toaster Oven that sends out or recieves any signal. OK, well maybe my remote for the TV, but that is infra red I believe, right?

I just did a upload/download test on testmy.net, after reading the thread Hughesnet SUCKS.  Download was 27.7. Upload was 1.5.

I'm guessing that that isn't bad, but if hug5g is better . . . . ?  . . . but after reading that post . . . 

5g might be better, but your adaptor is only capabable for 802.11b/g/n, not 802.11ac, so you'd likely not see the kind of speed improvement.

In that case, even if you could force the modem's 5g to "n only" you might be able to see it, but still have the speed you're already getting with 2g but with less wireless range. You're probably better off as you are.

If you would like the extra speed, and don't mind being wired to the modem, you could use an ethernet cable to the back of the modem and feasibly get upwards to 50Mb (if the adaptor allows it).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@bb2 wrote:

I just did a upload/download test on testmy.net, after reading the thread Hughesnet SUCKS.  Download was 27.7. Upload was 1.5.

I'm guessing that that isn't bad, but if hug5g is better . . . . ?  . . . but after reading that post . . . 

5GHz WiFi has the ability to be better, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be.  Every situation is unique.  The device, the activity being performed on that device, the WiFi and adapter settings, the range, the makeup of the home, etc.  All of these things can affect WiFi performance, so all situations are different.  

But, as Mark stated, your computer doesn't have the ability to utilize the 5GHz WiFi band, so your options are 2.4GHz WiFi or a wired connection (Ethernet).  With your computer close to the modem the wired connection is probably your best bet.   

So . . . if I am understanding you guys correctly, when the installer guy was here, he got it to show as hug5g by fluke or some trade trick. Also that I should stick with what I have and stop working at getting it to show hug5g. Connect using the ethernet cable and not the wireless.

All is said and good . . . . except for one small detail that I didn't think would need to be brought up which started this whole thing. I am looking at getting a smart tv come black friday. In order for it to pick up the signal I need to enable my wireless connection. When I enable my wireless connection, even though I am currently connected thru the ethernet cable, my computer automagically switches to my wireless. As I live out the in boonies I can not get cable, so my thought was to get netflix or somethhing similiar and stream shows to watch. With both devices using the wireless (not sure way my computer seems to like the wireless) it will put a big drain on my usage.

Is there anyway to force my computer to stay on ethernet while the wireless is enabled? or does this not matter as well?

GabeU

@bb2

I'm not really sure what it is that the installer did, but it's definite that your computer does not have the ability to utilize 5GHz WiFi.  I would stick with the Ethernet connection, and yes, I would stop trying to get it to show the 5GHz connection.  Your computer can't use it, so it's a fruitless endeavor.   

The following web page shows how to stop a computer from automatically connecting to WiFi...

https://www.howtogeek.com/331503/how-to-stop-windows-from-automatically-connecting-to-a-wi-fi-networ...

As for Netflix, it uses about 300MB per hour in LD, 700MB per hour in SD, and 3GB per hour in HD.  Depending on your plan size, and how much Netflix you plan on watching, it may work for you, but HughesNet isn't designed for a lot of streaming as the plans don't have the data necessary to do so.  

Am I correct in thinking that two devices connected to the wireless will slow down both connections? My thoughts are that the data transfer is like a bucket brigade. You have 100 people handing down buckets of water to put out a fire. If another fire breaks out, you now have 50 people per fire which will slow down the amount of water on the first fire. Kinda a very simply way of looking at it, but is that correct? I'm thinking so, but with what Corrisive said, I'm questioning that. One last question and should probably be put on Windows forums, but I'm here so I'll ask. Is Windows 7 Home Premium really Windows 8? Kinda confused on this as well. 

GabeU

@bb2

Yes.  Two or more devices will share the available bandwidth, with that bandwidth being divided between them, though not necessarily evenly, as it depends on how much bandwidth each is trying to use, as well as a variety of other things.  But, yes, your scenario is basically how it works.  So, if HughesNet is providing 25Mbps at the given time, and you have two devices actively downloading files at their highest possible speed, that 25Mbps will be divided between them.  With all things being equal (which they hardly ever are), each device would be getting 12.5Mbps.  

To see which Windows OS you are currently running, press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, then type winver in the run box and click OK.  You'll be able to see which version of Windows you are running in the resulting popup.   

Thanks for everyones help here!!! 

GabeU

You're very welcome.  🙂  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

According to HP, your computer never supported the 5Ghz network, it only ever supported a wired network connection, and the 2.4Ghz wireless network.
https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04293928

Also, to clear up what seems to be some form of confusion...

2.4Ghz = Wireless Networking Frequency, great for long distances, has lower top speeds, but more than sufficient for normal internet usage.
5.0Ghz = Wireless Networking Frequency, higher speeds supported than 2.4Ghz, but much much shorter distance, no benefit for the average user with a handful of devices.
Ethernet = WIRED network connection, thus "hug5g" and "hug2g" have zero impact on ethernet, and vice verse.

Connecting over any of these three will use your data, and your bandwidth, if you connect your TV and Computer, it doesn't matter if they are connected over Wifi, or over the Ethernet connection, however, ethernet is prefered in most all cases to rule out variables should there be performance issues.

By the way... Streaming video can use a VERY large chunk of your data allowance... I highly suggest if you get into streaming that you stream at the lowest possible resolution that you can tolerate.