Wireless Router problem??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bos2420
Junior

Wireless Router problem??

Not complaining, just need some technical advice.  I have NOT explored all the avenues I should, (getting up, checking modem lights, etc) but this question is nagging me.

Sometimes, regardless of time of day, internet is great.  Then, sometimes the little wheel (loading) just spins, and I get a time-out.  Goes on for 5-15 minutes, then, back up.  I play solitare to kill the time.  This is in perfect weather, and can happen any time of the day or night, any day of the week.

So, in the last week or so, I have been bringing up my System Control Panel.  Now, if my internet is working fine, it pops right up, with all the little status buttons.  However, if the internet is lagging, the SCP loads very slowly, or sometimes, not at all (times out)

So, my question is, regardless of internet signal (like a weather problem), shouldn't my SCP come up right away?  Is my wireless router the problem?

For background, running HN9000, laptop via router (I forget the make/model) Win 10, and I don't have enough RAM-4 gigs. I just upgraded about a year ago to the 9000, and it is better than what I had.  Hughes user for about 12 years.  Standard surfing, no videos, no other devices in our 2 person home.  Forum websites, e-mail, FB, etc.  It happens regardless of how many tabs I have open.  Sometimes, I can open 10 tabs from The Chive, and they will all  be loading by the time I select a new one, and all are loaded in a minute or two (which I consider to be just fine speed)

Oh, this does not happen if I am on a public wi-fi service, so I am discounting computer problems. 

Again, not complaining about the service.  If this is what it is, fine.  I am aware of the ups and downs of sattelite internet.  Just wondering if I should try a new router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@C0RR0SIVE

You're correct on the i3 being the 3227u, but it's just over half the clock speed of the FX6100, and less than half when it comes to benchmarking.  

It's probable that the performance of the laptop, at least when it comes to things like opening and running basic programs and such, is faster due to it being more integrated.  Feed it something more intensive and it will most likely fall behind the desktop, and quickly.  

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12