cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering if Range can be extended to garage office?

Wondering if Range can be extended to garage office?

We have installed Hughesnet, but need service to reach garage office. We use an Airport Extreme Base station as the router, but wonder if a range extender would help get service over to the garage. If so, what is the best extender to buy, and would placing the router in the windows, improve the range?
6 REPLIES 6
Associate Professor

Re: Wondering if Range can be extended to garage office?

Depends on the distance, and construction type of the buildings.  Are these structures sheet metal enclosed?  What's the distance between the router and garage?

Typically, the best place to put a range extender is close to the furthest point from the router that you can pick up the routers signal, otherwise the signal between the two units will interfer with one another.

The distance between buildings, about 20 feet. Both buildings have aluminum siding. What if the furthest point the signal reaches is somewhere outside between the two buildings? Then what? I am thinking I might have to have a completely separate service for the garage.
Associate Professor

You could always run a network cable from your Apple router into the garage, and hook it into an another router that is setup in Access Point mode, give both routers the same SSID, and same password, and your wifi devices will jump to which ever one has the strongest signal.

A PVC pipe to put the Cat6 Network Cable inside of in ground and up into both buildings, connecting both devices would be your best option to be honest.

PVC pipe and elbows can be obtained at Lowes, and Cat6 network cable can be bought at newegg.com (order twice as much cable as you THINK you would need, don't buy in bulk rolls unless you have equipment to terminate, the longest normal cable is about 100 foot).

Yes, it is a bit of work, but, no point in having two accounts installed as that's way too costly to get a signal in an area that's so close.
Alum

Hi Tess,

Thanks for posting! I think Charles suggestion is best. I've heard more often than not about users not getting very good performance using a range extender. Typically they choose to purchase the cheaper end models which could make a difference. From what I remember there are two types. Take a look here:

http://www.linksys.com/us/c/range-extenders/

WIRELESS RANGE EXTENDERS

Extend Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home.

OR

POWERLINE NETWORK EXTENDERS

Create a high-performing wired network using your home’s electrical system.

I hope all of this helps you. If there's anything else you would like assistance with feel free to let us know.

Thank you,

Chris

Assistant Professor

Wouldn't even need a router in the garage if ok with hardwired connection to the computer/laptop, only if wanting wireless there.
Associate Professor

Well, with the way cars and even garage door openers goes, you want a wifi signal even in the garage... Strange that I can check to see who used the pinpad to enter my garage on my android device... lol