cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workaround for P2P/torrent?

Freshman

Workaround for P2P/torrent?

Hey,

Still trying to get the hang of this Satellite Internet tech... 

So I've noticed that, while simple downloads from single hosts are plenty fast, downloading / streaming anything from a peer-to-peer type server is painfully slow.  I'm guessing that this is due to the satellite latency causing to server stream to be about as coordinated as the Three Stooges passing a baton in a relay race...

Has anyone developed a workaround for this problem?  Perhaps some way to do a virtual download from the server to our email storage, which could then be straight downloaded through the dish?

5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Workaround for P2P/torrent?

@Millwater 

Though I'm not positive about this, as I've never used a torrent, I think HughesNet might actually limit the amount of bandwidth available for P2P activities, though automatically.  With that said, I don't know if this means that it might be faster during times when the system is lightly loaded, or if it's always limited, regardless.  

Again, I don't know for sure, but I think that this may be what's causing your issue.  

Unfortunately, the reps are gone for the weekend, and they would be the ones who could say for sure whether this is the case.  Still, there is one on during the evening once in a while, so one might still reply this evening to verify whether this is the case.  As for a workaround, I have absolutely no clue.  Smiley Sad

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

@GabeU wrote:

Though I'm not positive about this, as I've never used a torrent, I think HughesNet might actually limit the amount of bandwidth available for P2P activities, though automatically.  With that said, I don't know if this means that it might be faster during times when the system is lightly loaded, or if it's always limited, regardless.  

Does Hughes block P2P traffic or applications like BitTorrent, Gnutella, or others?

No. Hughes does not block Peer-to-Peer (P2P) traffic or applications like BitTorrent, Gnutella, or others as part of its network congestion management techniques. In order to ensure fair access to all types of traffic, however, we limit the network capacity available for P2P applications, which has the effect of reducing the priority of such traffic. P2P applications are detected based on deep packet inspection and the use of industry-standard heuristics, and are not based on specific port numbers or applications.

http://legal.hughes.com/NetworkManagement.cfm

@maratsade 

Good find.  I thought I had read something like that a long time ago, but wasn't sure.  I imagine they do it because P2P can be, and often is, a very data intensive activity, and with the limited throughput of the system they want to, as much as possible, mitigate the negative effect it can have, especially during times of peak usage.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Hmmm...

I'm not doing BitTorrent as-such.  Just video and file archives that seem to use some sort of P2P infrastructure rather than a monolithic host...  Can't be too data-intensive, if I was able to do it on my decrepit, rural DSL.

(Not whining about HughesNet here.  Other transfers are much faster for us now.  I knew there would be some latency issues going-in, so the page hesitations weren't a surprise.)

@Millwater wrote:

Hmmm...

I'm not doing BitTorrent as-such.  Just video and file archives that seem to use some sort of P2P infrastructure rather than a monolithic host...  Can't be too data-intensive, if I was able to do it on my decrepit, rural DSL.   

I only meant as a likely reason for the policy, but your P2P activities are probably still being affected by it, regardless of how much data is actually being used.